Ok so i got 2 choices for a new amplifier:

A used Peavey XXX Head

-OR-

A Used Peavey 5150.

I play mainly power metal, progressive metal (and rock), melodic death metal, and basically all the other types of "light" metal (excluding metalcore or like mathcore....).

I own a Jackson DX10D Dinky, Basswood body, with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge (and soon a PAF PRO in the neck).

All opinions/comments/expierience welcome.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
im sure 5150. a XXX isnt even a "real" amp
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
...so the xxx is imaginary?

well, to answer your question ts, i'd say 5150, also. i was not very pleased with the xxx.
Isnt 600$ for a used 5150 a steal? my dad won't believe me.....he thinks the XXX is a better deal...900$ for a used head...but honestly, i think its cuz it has more wattage. My dad says to "try the newer one first"....but come on.....so what if its like 10 years old...the 5150 is in my opinion a great amp made by peavey. nice low end and it can even produce a nice high end. all i need to do is to persuade my dad somehow....
but also, what would be the better amp for sololing in the upper register. I like to sweep and economy pick (the asian michael romeo i guess), so im looking for that as well as a nice bass. I usually set my amp to Bass: 8-10 Trebel 7-10 and mid: 5-6.
if your dad's willing to spend $900 on an amp for you...first off, you're a lucky dick. secondly...you're a lucky dick.

let him buy it for you, sell it, buy a 5150 and have some cash on the side?

$600 for a used 5150...i'm assuming combo...is within the usual pricerange. you should be able to find one between $500-$700 pretty easily. though if it's 10 years old, it may have issues such as needing new tubes, etc., so you may want to ask when it was last retubed..
Quote by climhazzard
if your dad's willing to spend $900 on an amp for you...first off, you're a lucky dick. secondly...you're a lucky dick.

let him buy it for you, sell it, buy a 5150 and have some cash on the side?

$600 for a used 5150...i'm assuming combo...is within the usual pricerange. you should be able to find one between $500-$700 pretty easily. though if it's 10 years old, it may have issues such as needing new tubes, etc., so you may want to ask when it was last retubed..

ah retubed 3 days ago with ruby something tubes. i cant recall the name but i know like that they are upgrades compared to the usual ones in it. he also just retuned up teh amp at the same time so...

well i dont want to go through the hassle of selling it after buying it...i just want one to keep for a long time..and yes the 5150 is a combo.

hell yeh im a lucky dick, an asian dad spending 900$!! THATS OUTRAGEOUS! (but i'd need to buy the cab on my own ... framus 2x12 lol)
If the 5150 is cheaper then get it. Wasn't really my cup of tea though.

And since your azn I am assuming you are kinda small. the combo is about 90 lbs. If you gig frequently I would probably steer clear...
Quote by gunther_sucks
If the 5150 is cheaper then get it. Wasn't really my cup of tea though.

And since your azn I am assuming you are kinda small. the combo is about 90 lbs. If you gig frequently I would probably steer clear...

u can say im big for an asian ahah. well yeh...i like having a straight back. a half stack would break it...and about 90lbs. im tall. i weight 170. that would be nothing. ^^

its not the weight or cosmetics, i just want the one that sounds the best for power metal and melo-death, lots of treble but still has that bass and some mids, but a killer distortion also
Just for reference, a 4x12 cab is about 95 lbs.

Some casters could be helpful in any case. I know my back is tweaked so weight is always in my mind. The 5150/6505 rely on the low mids. It sounds good, but it's not my style(I'm more into a metallica tone.)

I think the 5150 is a better choice in this case. So go for it and have no regrets.
Quote by gunther_sucks
Just for reference, a 4x12 cab is about 95 lbs.

Some casters could be helpful in any case. I know my back is tweaked so weight is always in my mind. The 5150/6505 rely on the low mids. It sounds good, but it's not my style(I'm more into a metallica tone.)

I think the 5150 is a better choice in this case. So go for it and have no regrets.

thanks. i'll probably get it, if i wanted a triple x i'd spend the 600$ more and get a new one....or a JSX (like u lol). I'm after more of a Sonata Arctica kind of sound...so last call before i make plans to drive to the seller...which is 45minutes to an hour away.
oh yeh btw he installed casters on the 5150 already.
5150 FTW!

thats just if you didnt get the idea already!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
5150 FTW!

thats just if you didnt get the idea already!

lol. i think its the better buy. the guy who's selling it is really nice, and an EVH fan (like everything EVH lol...). He likes his van halen signature stuff, hes probably the best seller i've dealt with lol.

well peavey is already my fave amp company (thats just my opinion), but my dad needed some more convincing, so i made this thread. when i show him tomarrow, this should convince him...
new tubes and casters, a good price...umm...yeah. sounds fantastic. drive over, test it out, if you like it get it! good luck with the sale!
dam he even did a video. wow. at least i know it works now...not the greatest mic was used but i know it works...lol...
let him buy you a Engl fireball
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
i dont need a head and cab....too loud...
than get yourself a Engl screamer combo!!!

way better cleans than the Peavey!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Quote by dickeskind
than get yourself a Engl screamer combo!!!

way better cleans than the Peavey!

ah but what about the price range. ~~
Im not a person that 'does' high-gain, but even I know that the 5150 is in a completely different league to the XXX, especially as its cheaper, and re-tubed.
Quote by dickeskind

DUDE! 900$ CANADIAN! dam im not that rich...nothing over 1000$ (that means nothing over € 900...)

yeh well im going to try the triple X, i hear it has a tighter bottom end which i like....and i m also kind of wondering about the 5150 because its 10 years old, but those amps are built like tanks.
Quote by racerXazn
u can say im big for an asian ahah. well yeh...i like having a straight back. a half stack would break it...and about 90lbs. im tall. i weight 170. that would be nothing. ^^

its not the weight or cosmetics, i just want the one that sounds the best for power metal and melo-death, lots of treble but still has that bass and some mids, but a killer distortion also

nah its heavy, im 220 pounds and lift alot of weights and its still annoying, but then again i did carry it very far.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
What is MATHCORE anyway? List some bands.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12