Really. I've been trying to for months. Trying quite hard, too, always singing along to Smiths songs and Belle and Sebastian and the like. But I wasn't getting any purity of tone, just hitting the notes. Then, today, I just "found" a space in my chest where it really reverberates and I get a nice tone, with a vibrato if I want. I didn't believe it at first, so I checked by recording myself and it sounded alright!

I'm posting this just because I thought for years and years that I'd never be able to sing whatsoever, and I think a lot of people believe that of themselves. Apparently, though, it just takes a bit of perseverance. Honestly, a couple of years ago I couldn't even hum properly.

*updates CV/resume*jk
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Last edited by suffer some at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by suffer some

*updates CV/resume*jk

well I just hope you really don't put "learnt" on there
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Quote by suffer some
Really. I've been trying to for months. Trying quite hard, too, always singing along to Smiths songs and Belle and Sebastian and the like. But I wasn't getting any purity of tone, just hitting the notes. Then, today, I just "found" a space in my chest where it really reverberates and I get a nice tone, with a vibrato if I want. I didn't believe it at first, so I checked by recording myself and it sounded alright!

I'm posting this just because I thought for years and years that I'd never be able to sing whatsoever, and I think a lot of people believe that of themselves. Apparently, though, it just takes a bit of perseverance. Honestly, a couple of years ago I couldn't even hum properly.

*updates CV/resume*jk

Cool.
Quote by cm_richardson
well I just hope you really don't put "learnt" on there

I'll use British spelling wherever I please, thankyou.

Also, read the small, almost invisible print.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
it's a joke dude, and yes I saw the purple j/k. seriously though, Congrats thats awesome. I can't sing and I also thought I couldn't sing, except for me, it's a fact that I never will be able to .
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me

Britain chooses to secede from your oppressive Yankee English...its Learnt
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by cm_richardson
it's a joke dude, and yes I saw the purple j/k. seriously though, Congrats thats awesome. I can't sing and I also thought I couldn't sing, except for me, it's a fact that I never will be able to .

It's turqoise FTW .

Congrats TS.
im american and i learnt in high skool that 'learnt' was still acceptable.

so i use it instead of learned.. also i say mum instead of mom or mother or mama..

there are a few other words that ive "stolen" from English and Canadian culture
Quote by hippie_cune
im american and i learnt in high skool that 'learnt' was still acceptable.

so i use it instead of learned.. also i say mum instead of mom or mother or mama..

there are a few other words that ive "stolen" from English and Canadian culture

Good lad.

Congratulations TS!
post the recording if possible!
i wana learn how to sing... im learning how to growl now im geting better and better :P
Quote by LogTrog
i'm glad you haven't learned how to spell...

Over here, chief, 'learned' is an adjective to describe someone who is scholarly or well-read. The part participle of the verb is 'learnt'.

To the threadstarter: congratulations, you lucky fucker Singing is something I've always wanted to be able to do. Still, I've gone from being totally tone-deaf to passable, so with practice I guess I could get fairly good.

Still, there's always the possibility of getting worse - look at Ian Brown
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Quote by mud
Still, there's always the possibility of getting worse - look at Ian Brown

he's still a pretty damn good songwriter though
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I can sing too.

Well, I had a similar realization to yours (if you wanna hear me, my band is in my sig, listen to 'disenchanted love').
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
Quote by wiggy1988
he's still a pretty damn good songwriter though

I agree - better even than when he was with the Stone Roses, in some respects. But if you ever see him live, you'll hear how truly dreadful he sounds. He's flat as fuck ... he sounds like he's swallowed his own nostrils.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Quote by This_Kidd
Ohhhh deeearrr....

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/learnt

So I'm not quite sure but..... I think you're wrong mate.

yeah, "learned" generally refers to a person of much learning. for example, "the professor of english language was a learned old man."

and so on

my mum's a singing teacher. i've known how to sing all my life lol.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Ive been singing along in my car for years, still can;t carry a tune

I hope that randomly happens to me one day!
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Oguchi Onyewu
belle and sebastian, good stuff

Amen to that.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.