Ok, maybe not as annoying as hell...but damn close. You sit...and tweak....tweak...and tweak. Now I know I'm not going to get professional quality results, but I like to create the illusion of time well-spent.

Right now I am using SONAR with Ozone to do my mastering. However I may be jumping ship to Samplitude, or Wavlab (sp?). Frustration is a bitch.

Basically I am trying to tweak my Enter Sandman (ZW Style) to the best possible sound, but my highs just suck. Perhaps it's my stock Ibanez pick-ups lol.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
I actually enjoy mastering. It means I'm done tracking the music and can really mess with stuff and perfect my piece of work. However, I hate the mixdown process(If I'm using an analog 4 track) because it is just a pain in the ass.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
your almost ro were you want to be i have a couple questions that might help.
you are useing a line 6 Guitar port. are you going Directly from your amp or from a mixer.. somtimes the line out on the amp wont give you the best sound. also I figued your already in the neck position on the guitar... for best harmonic pick up ... somtimes useing both will help if you play clean enough for it not to pick up the lower strings. (E A ) One of the best things to try to do is get a small external mixer. and mic your amp oposed to line out.. well there are my 2 cents good luck...
SIN serely Crisspie
i tweak ..and i export ..then i listen and ...i listen..then i say f### my drums are too loud...tweak ...tweak..export...listen....sh%% my solo is too loud....tweak...ok fine its ok now....
Proper mastering requires quite a bit of skill. Using a multi-band compressor is a nightmare.
Quote by Crisspie13
your almost ro were you want to be i have a couple questions that might help.
you are useing a line 6 Guitar port. are you going Directly from your amp or from a mixer.. somtimes the line out on the amp wont give you the best sound. also I figued your already in the neck position on the guitar... for best harmonic pick up ... somtimes useing both will help if you play clean enough for it not to pick up the lower strings. (E A ) One of the best things to try to do is get a small external mixer. and mic your amp oposed to line out.. well there are my 2 cents good luck...
SIN serely Crisspie

Basically how the Guitarport works is, line from the guitar goes into the jack on the Guitarport. Then the signal is processed and sent via USB to the computer. That's how I record...really no easier way to do it for me. I've tried using neck position, but it's garbage. It just seems the highs are way too cutty...and the harmonics just close out all sound, and that's all you can hear...which is good if I want to show off, but bad for the value of the complete mix. I'm going to look into a book on mastering some time tomorrow (as I wish to venture into more genres than guitar based rock).
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
Proper mastering requires quite a bit of skill. Using a multi-band compressor is a nightmare.

Multi-band compressors ent that bad!

Most of the time i end up with to much bass.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Well actual mastering, is something that needs to be done in a proper listening environment with the appropriate equipment. Some of you guys are calling mixing mastering. Also mastering one track is a bit of an oxymoron. Because the idea behind mastering, is to sonically match a series of tracks for a CD or Album, so that it all sounds together and like a whole. So I'm not really sure what it is you are trying to do, but you may be trying to hard to create something that you just can't create.
^You're right, but mastering essentially refers to fine tuning a 2-mix. It doesn't have to be done to match a series of songs sonically.
I'm trying to get the tracks to co-exist in harmony.
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
^Thats mixing.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Ok, then what is mastering?
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
^Bouncing your multi-track down to a 2 track (stereo) mix and fine tuning it is what mastering is all about. Typical tools for mastering are 31 band EQs (or any EQ with many bands), multi-band compressors (some light compression from a normal compressor can also be used in the mastering process) and brick wall limiters so you can boost the level to a desired amount without clipping (although limiting it too much will still distort it because everything will get squared off).
Do me a favor, and listen to my recordings on my myspace page.... If you like the production quality, I will tell you exactly how I acheived those results. All instruments performed by myself (except on 'The After') and all songs written by myself. ALL production done by myself, as well, in my home studio. I may very well be able to give you some pointers.

www.myspace.com/sonicmessiah
Quote by Uncle Fonzie

Good mixes help as well.

For example, compare 'Let us In' vs. 'Shogun' on my Soundclick here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=591390

Both were mastered by me; on was a mix I did (Let us In) and one was a 3rd party Mix (Shogun).
Last edited by the chemist at Nov 8, 2007,
I love to master.. I think its super fun, and makes the track totally fit together
Quote by the chemist
Good mixes help as well.

Thats more than often the key right there. Besides the fact that I wouldn't even recommend any serious mastering at home - it requires very specific (and typically extremely expensive) equipment that is not realistic for home a studio. In other words - if you can afford it sending your mixes off to a pro for mastering is almost always a good idea.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Uncle Fonzie
How did you go about mastering these tracks

I used:

Monitors:
KRK Exposé E8B monitors

Equipment:

CM 2020 Transfer Console
Focusrite RED 3 Compressor
UA 2-1176 Compressor

Then, using an RME ADI-4 DD A/D Converter, I re-record the audio into Wavelab 6, then use a collection of plug-ins (UA Ultra Pac, Focusrite Saffire, Crysonic SpectraPhy LE) and training to do what's left.
The 1176 is one of my favorite compressors. One thing to remember though is keep the compression very light when doing it to the entire 2 mix.
I run the track through 2 compressors, one after the other, o flatten it right down, but not to harsh.
Thanks for the responses guys, it's helped me A LOT. I seemed to have done the common thing and mixing (pardon the pun) up...mixing and mastering.
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0