At the moment I have a small crappy 25-watt Crate practice amp, and I may be putting one of those new SD AHB-1 Blackout pickups in my new guitar. I was just wondering if this might be a bad idea before I upgrade my amp...would it sound worse than just using the passive EMG HZ-4 that comes with the guitar?
It probably wouldn't sound worse (I haven't tried) but it wouldn't be wise. It would be ebst to use the money your spending on blackouts and putting it towards a new amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Pretty much. you will notice a difference but it will probably be so little that your money would be wasted.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Alright thanks. So, once I have a decent Marshall/Peavey or something, will the difference from EMG HZ-4 to AHB-1 Blackout be much more noticeable and worth it?
by that time new pickups will make a difference but perhaps instead of buying cheaper short time fixes, why not get a new guitar after your amp?

What guitar you have now?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Because I just bought a guitar. ESP LTD Alexi 600 SE (limited pink edition). It's a good guitar, but merely comes with a pretty weak pickup. I just thought swapping it out for a Blackout would be best, but you've made me realize that I should get a good amp first.
I got a H4 set...H4 and H4A.

Take your guitar and cable to your local shop and test it
out on some amps. With the right amp ...those pups of
yours can sing like a violin.

Once again my saying it...lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Lol so it seems that most people here agree that your amp is the primary dictator of your sound. Heh.

Thanks for the advice guys.