What would be some of the tonal differences between these woods for guitar bodies?
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
alder I think is more bright sounding where as mahogney has a deeper warmer tone. some one correct me if im wrong. I think alot of people use mahogney with a maple top to balance the warm and bright sounds
Actually (I may be wrong) the maple top is just used on transparent finishes because mahogany doesn't look to good while figured maple looks great. The tonal difference between straight mahogany and Maple topped mahogany wouldn't be apparent.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
most strats are alder
most lps are mahogany with maple top

alder with a maple top would be a brighter sound then
mahogany w/ maple top but i dont think theres really much of a difference
its really more about the shape of the body, how solid the body is, the pickups used, and the electronics

but thats just me
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
I believe Mahogany has better sustain as well... or I would assume, Les Paul's being famous for sustain and all.
ive seen the scientific explanation around, but i dont think that body wood makes a a very big difference in solid body electric guitars.
i believe it has a more pronounced a(e)ffect on acoustic guitars
^It still makes a big difference. Take the exact same setup on two different guitars (Pick-ups, string types, amps etc etc) except one guitar has mahogany wood and one guitar with alder wood and you will notice a difference.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by blacklp
ive seen the scientific explanation around, but i dont think that body wood makes a a very big difference in solid body electric guitars.
i believe it has a more pronounced a(e)ffect on acoustic guitars

this guys a dumbass. its the single biggest effect on your tone.
so lets say that you use the same amp, pickups, and body style. One guitar being alder, the other being mahogney w/ maple top. My biggest question is wether or not the alder will sound as big and full as mahogney.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
were not talking about a major difference here though, if u had to lps of the same dimension, compared alder to mahogany, im willing to bet that the difference would so minor that most guitar players could not tell the difference, if they were blindfolded, per say
and yes there will be some sort of a difference of course, sympathetic vibrations and suchbut the tonewood is not what makes the sound on a solidbody electric, its just adds a (maybe) a little bit of flavor
however in acoustic guitars it makes a big difference
Quote by Cobalt Blue
I believe Mahogany has better sustain as well... or I would assume, Les Paul's being famous for sustain and all.

most of its sustain comes from its neck joint and bridge type, but yeah the mahogany does help

the reason why alder is brighter sounding is that its grain is closer together and is a harder wood, so vibrations travel faster in it. something like that
Quote by blacklp
were not talking about a major difference here though, if u had to lps of the same dimension, compared alder to mahogany, im willing to bet that the difference would so minor that most guitar players could not tell the difference, if they were blindfolded, per say
and yes there will be some sort of a difference of course, sympathetic vibrations and suchbut the tonewood is not what makes the sound on a solidbody electric, its just adds a (maybe) a little bit of flavor
however in acoustic guitars it makes a big difference

this kids still a dumbass. tone doesnt matter to non-guitarplayers anyways.
Lets say both guitars have neck-through joints. Fixed Bridges. EMG 81/85 pickups.

One is alder the other mahog. w/maple top.

Will there be a difference in fullness?
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by .arkness:.
Actually (I may be wrong) the maple top is just used on transparent finishes because mahogany doesn't look to good while figured maple looks great. The tonal difference between straight mahogany and Maple topped mahogany wouldn't be apparent.

You're right on the maple top being put on mostly just for the look, but it does have an impact on how the guitar sounds too. It keeps the thicker end going for longer, giving a slightly heavier tone with slightly more sustain.

Quote by Ubershall404
Lets say both guitars have neck-through joints. Fixed Bridges. EMG 81/85 pickups.

One is alder the other mahog. w/maple top.

Will there be a difference in fullness?
Yes, yes there will. Not as much as if they had passive pickups, but there will be a big difference still even with actives. The mahogany/maple combination will provide more sustain and will have a thicker (note: not necessarily 'fuller'; that depends on what your personal opinion of 'full' is) tone than the alder guitar.

Of course this isn't always better. Many guitarists prefer the tone of alder for blues and rock, and sometimes even for metal. Alder also has the added benefit of weighing less, and usually alder guitars will be cheaper than the same thing made with mahogany and maple.
i have two guitars, one is mahagony and the other alder...the mahagony has a very bright sound and the alder one has a very full low sound..but not too bassy.
have two guitars, one is mahagony and the other alder...the mahagony has a very bright sound and the alder one has a very full low sound..but not too bassy.

are you sure you're not mixing sth up? Mahagony sounds fuller, alder brighter.

Überschall: Maybe you should tell us what exactly you wanna play and what kinda sound you'relooking for, assuming you're asking cuz you want a new guitar.

Oh, and no offense, but I gotta agree with sobeisbull on the whole dumbass thing
My Xiphos is mahogany. My Jackson is alder.

I will tell you right now that mahogany gives very great lows. Also, it cuts a little bit of the highs so that they aren't bright, but they're clear sounding.

The alder, in my opinion, does kind of the reverse of that.

Depends what you want. I personally like the mahogany loads more.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Overall, mahogany gives you fatter tone, yes. Whether the maple cap would effect your tone depends on its thickness. I think under 1/2", it has no effect. If it's more than 1/2" it will start to give you a little more snap. If you want to really hear the difference, go play a PRS Standard 24 and a PRS Custom 24. Exact same body shape, pickups, neck, etc., except that the Standard is all mahogany, while the Custom is mahogany with a flamed maple top.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by sobeisbull
this kids still a dumbass. tone doesnt matter to non-guitarplayers anyways.

people who don't play guitar can still tell good tone from bad..
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥