Hey guys, I'll be buying my next set of gear in about a month here, and I've narrowed it down to 2 amps. Before anyone suggests bigger amps, or more watts, I will only be playing in my room. I want a great tone, but I don't want to make my ears bleed when I start overdriving it. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and alt. So I think the two amps I have narrowed it down to are pretty good choices.

The first option, and the second option.

I don't like the fact that I will be buying a more expensive guitar than my amp, but I can't really think of anything else I could do about that, considering I will only need, or even want, 5 watts through a tube. What do you guys think? Is the extra drive and tone controls on the palomino worth it? Or would it be better to go with the Valve junior and throw a pedal in front of it?

Any comments would be much appreciated.
They're both capable of the styles you want. I personally would take the VJ because of the 12" speaker in the cab. Putting an overdrive in front of that would sound great - I used to have one (albeit the combo version).
I own a VJ head, and I bought my son a Palomino V16. I've played with the V8 in the store quite a bit.

IMHO, the V8 is a nicer amp than the VJ. It has a smoother sound. The tone and master volume controls are very useful. A lot of people are jumping all over that little VJ cab, but frankly I'm a little leery of it. I bought the VJ head because I already had a great cab. The V8 has a decent 10" speaker in it, not like the 8" speaker in the VJ combo (or 6" speaker in the Fender Champ).

All in all, I think the V8 is the best amp out there in it's class.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I own a VJ head, and I bought my son a Palomino V16. I've played with the V8 in the store quite a bit.

IMHO, the V8 is a nicer amp than the VJ. It has a smoother sound. The tone and master volume controls are very useful. A lot of people are jumping all over that little VJ cab, but frankly I'm a little leery of it. I bought the VJ head because I already had a great cab. The V8 has a decent 10" speaker in it, not like the 8" speaker in the VJ combo (or 6" speaker in the Fender Champ).

All in all, I think the V8 is the best amp out there in it's class.

I only wish they were available in the UK :\

Luckily, the VJ is readily available and cheap everywhere, and the big plus-point of this amp is it's easy as dirt to mod if you're experienced with electronics.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^That's what sold me on the VJ over the V8, which I played and liked very much. The VJ is a fun little box to tinker with, and sounds great with a good cab like Slats said, but the V8 is probably a better if you don't have a good cab to pair it with already.
Quote by slatsmania
I bought the VJ head because I already had a great cab.

that's my opinion too- the VJ is great if you already have a cab, and some pedals. it quickly gets expensive if you don't, as you could just afford a better amp out of the box...

haven't tried the palomino... i'm guessing the peavey valveking royal 8 is worth a shot too, though the palomino might be nicer. it looks cooler at any rate (which doesn't matter of course).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?