I've sanded down a squire strat headstock so the original decal (writing on the headstock) can no longer be seen, and I've got a new stick-on decal ready to stick on once I've given the headstock a coat of varnish.

Question is, should I give the headstock another coat of varnish once I've stuck on the new decal?

Also, what type of varnish should I use and how should I apply it? I've heard yacht varnish is good with a soft brush...?
Last edited by johnnypark30 at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by ozzyslayer
new decal? whats it say?

it's a 70s style Fender Stratocaster decal, with the stratocaster in all capitals eg Fender STRATOCASTER
lol after you got the decal on there take it to a guitar center and sale it for like $1100. Nah, they'd pick it up realize its so light its a Squier.
Quote by ozzyslayer
lol after you got the decal on there take it to a guitar center and sale it for like $1100. Nah, they'd pick it up realize its so light its a Squier.

depends what squier he has...my squier doesn't way much less than my friend's dad's MIA strat..

Only problem would eb the neck plate
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
depends what squier he has...my squier doesn't way much less than my friend's dad's MIA strat..

Only problem would eb the neck plate

yeah, got a point on the neck plate, and plus I went to a local music store not to long ago and the Squier they had weighed as much as a ****ing les paul I was like WTF?!
I can't stand when people put a Fender logo on a Squire. It's false damn advertising. Just buy a Fender neck if you need the Fender name that bad.
Quote by eXperiment63
I can't stand when people put a Fender logo on a Squire. It's false damn advertising. Just buy a Fender neck if you need the Fender name that bad.

but then the body is still a squier...its still false advertising...if you could call it advertising...
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yes, but at least the neck is made of better wood and has better QC before getting that name put on it.
Aha, another counterfeiter... What you're doing is not only stupid, but also illegal.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Aha, another counterfeiter... What you're doing is not only stupid, but also illegal.

mm no..
Is he selling it? No.
Therefore its not illegal. He paid for the guitar. All hes doin is a simple change of logo. Maybe its to avoid getting his guitar ragged on, but noone said he was selling it

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
mm no..
Is he selling it? No.
Therefore its not illegal. He paid for the guitar. All hes doin is a simple change of logo. Maybe its to avoid getting his guitar ragged on, but noone said he was selling it

Selling and buying counterfeit decals is illegal too, you know. And if people rag on his gear, he shouldn't care. Besides, if people stop ragging on a guitar that's obviously the same just because it gets a new name, then they're dense as uranium. And after all is said and done, it'll still be a counterfeit.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Nov 8, 2007,
Am I the only one here who prefers the look of a headstock with no decal on it?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I've got an authentic fender 70s strat neck plate as well...

To all those who seem to think what I'm doing is illegal, I don't plan on selling the guitar, and buying guitar decals is not illegal...

My sole motivation is not to stop people from ripping on me for having a squier, that's ridiculous, I'm merely amusing myself and making my guitar a little easier on the eye while I save for a genuine fender american stratocaster...

To all those who actually addressed my questions, thanks for your help.
It is actually illegal, but nothing is done about it, just like bootleg T-shirt sellers at the market aren't dealt with. There are no genuine Fender licensed decals out there, and Fender is a registered trademark- ergo, all aftermarket Fender decals are illegal counterfeits. That's just a fact, and it's not something I think- it's something I know. It's a minot issue, and nothing would come of it if the sellers were shut down, so it continues unabatedly.

Other than that, I still think it's pretty stupid. How about tacking Corvette emblems onto a Lacetti while we're at it, hm?
Quote by DagMX
but then the body is still a squier...its still false advertising...if you could call it advertising...

I have a Fender with a Squier neck on it. It's false advertising, but it's not meant for me to look rich or anything. My neck got destroyed and I liked the Squier neck I found.

Having an Epi/Squier and putting a Gibson/Fender logo on it is kinda lame, though.
Quote by Pikka Bird
It is actually illegal, but nothing is done about it, just like bootleg T-shirt sellers at the market aren't dealt with. There are no genuine Fender licensed decals out there, and Fender is a registered trademark- ergo, all aftermarket Fender decals are illegal counterfeits. That's just a fact, and it's not something I think- it's something I know. It's a minot issue, and nothing would come of it if the sellers were shut down, so it continues unabatedly.

Other than that, I still think it's pretty stupid. How about tacking Corvette emblems onto a Lacetti while we're at it, hm?

How about being less of a dick hm? He isn't hurting you or Fender (really now, I'd believe it'd be ludicrous and utter nonsense for them to enter the field of guitar decals) and I doubt Fender really does care about it. If they did they would've easily been able to track down sites and establishments selling these decals and ordered them to cease and desist just like that. Just let the baby have it's bottle, sheesh...
As opposed as I am to using counterfeit decals, the poster above me is right. But it is important to let the threadstarter knowing that what he/she is doing is in fact illegal. But he/she is set on doing it, so let bygones be bygones.

Just to interject, Fender does produce decals that are available. Unfortunatly, they only give them to you if you've refinished your Fender neck, and need a decal to replace the old Fender decal.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Wakisazhi
How about being less of a dick hm? He isn't hurting you or Fender (really now, I'd believe it'd be ludicrous and utter nonsense for them to enter the field of guitar decals) and I doubt Fender really does care about it. If they did they would've easily been able to track down sites and establishments selling these decals and ordered them to cease and desist just like that. Just let the baby have it's bottle, sheesh...
I'm simply passing on information. And yes- Fender could easily do that, but as I already said, nothing would come of it, so they don't. It'd be a waste of resources.

Also, if you wanna see true dicks, go to the "what's the dumbest thing a guitarist told you"-thread. Me telling him that I think dressing your Squier up as a genuine Fender is wrong is extremely mild compared to the stuck-up asseholery you'll see there.
Quote by Will_Minus
Just to interject, Fender does produce decals that are available. Unfortunatly, they only give them to you if you've refinished your Fender neck, and need a decal to replace the old Fender decal.

I've heard about this... Apparently there's some sort of ultra-rigorous verification process you have to go through, right?
I think it's just you giving them your serial number. I don't know for sure, but I heard it from Ippon.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I heard photographic evidence is needed and then some... But what do I know, I've never needed it. Mine is all stock and nice.
Here I was thinking if I posted a question in the UG forums I would get an answer and not a torrential downpour of bull****... clearly, I was mistaken.
Quote by Pikka Bird
I heard photographic evidence is needed and then some... But what do I know, I've never needed it. Mine is all stock and nice.

yea. the neck needs to be unplayable (broken in half or something) to obtain new decal for a new neck. they don't give you another decal to replace something else though.

i'm putting a decal on my new neck. ShotRod Guitar Works FTW! now, that's original. and should be legal.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by johnnypark30
Here I was thinking if I posted a question in the UG forums I would get an answer and not a torrential downpour of bull****... clearly, I was mistaken.

Oh stop being such a little drama queen... You asked a question and someone (me) said what you were doing is illegal (fact). That's called helpful information, not bullshit.

Then someone (me) said they think such things are stupid (opinion). You can't expect to put anything out there and expect everybody who disagrees with you to keep quiet forever. That's called freedom of speech, not bullshit.
Quote by Will_Minus
I think it's just you giving them your serial number. I don't know for sure, but I heard it from Ippon.

From the Fender site: FAQs
Is it possible to get a replacement decal for my old Fender instrument?

In many cases, the answer is "YES!" To help us achieve the best match of available decals, take at least 4 clear photographs of your instrument, (the entire front, entire back of the instrument and a close-up of the front and back of the headstock). This will help us verify that it is indeed a genuine Fender product in need of a replacement decal, (if the instrument has the serial number stamped into the neck plate, please include a pencil "rubbing" from the neck plate showing this number).

Next, take the photos along with your guitar to the nearest Authorized Fender Service Center, where they will evaluate the instrument. After comparing the instrument with the photos, they will then mail the photos and neck plate rubbing to our Product Support team in Scottsdale. Once we receive the photographs, we will try to find the most accurate decal for that instrument. We will then send the appropriate decal to the Authorized Service Center. Note: Decal availability is limited to certain models, and while Fender does not charge a fee for a replacement decal, the Fender Authorized Service Center may charge a fee for providing this service to you.

I suppose getting those decals depends on how strict or relaxed the Fender-licensed shops and stores are with regards to enforcing the policy. For example, after I brought in a Fender Tele, I got the proper decal since I was refinishing the headstock the same color as the body. A few weeks later, I mentioned I was refinishing a PBass, a JBass and a Strat, and I was just handed the decals.

Just for grins, I should probably put one of those on an Ibanez RG headstock and freak out some people.