MESA/BOOGIE Dual Caliber DC-5 AMP. (combo)

someone local to me is selling this amp, i was just wondering what you all think of it as i know reviews on the websites can sometimes be a bit biased.

I was thinking of getting the laney ac30 combo but saw this going for a decent price so i was thinking it might be worth spending a bit more on the boogie. Do u think the boogie is better than the laney? (i imagine it is i just want to make sure)

I play indie/rock/punk music but would like a nice clean for some songs.

Let me know what you think. Cheers, Si
www.myspace.com/bluecollars

My Gear
Fender telecaster deluxe 72
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall JCM 800 100w head
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
I've never played one. But I'd recommend you to play it yourself before parting with your money. Alot of it is really just down to personal preference. Although you've probably heard that before.
Laney AC30?

No idea about the Mesa. I would have thought your JCM 800 could do pretty much everything (Except for the cleans.), though.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Laney AC30?

No idea about the Mesa. I would have thought your JCM 800 could do pretty much everything (Except for the cleans.), though.

yeh it does, its just to big to carry up about 80 steps everytime i have band practice, and its to loud for home practice and recording.

sorry i ment laney vc30 not ac. dunno where i got that from. wot u fink of it?

My Gear
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
The VC30 is a good amp, but you'd probably get sick of carrying that up the stairs all the time. The VC15 would be better for you - it's smaller and lighter
Quote by sidge222666
yeh it does, its just to big to carry up about 80 steps everytime i have band practice, and its to loud for home practice and recording.

sorry i ment laney vc30 not ac. dunno where i got that from. wot u fink of it?

It's very good value for money - like £280 in UK or something.

But I'm not sure how much it weighs, etc, you might want to check the Laney website. Because if your problem with the JCM800 is carrying it, you might have to go for the VC30 with the single speaker, which is apparently not as good as the 2x12.

Edit : ^ Or the VC15, yeah.
so back to the original question. what do you all think of the mesa dc-5?

My Gear
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
Having played one at a gig... they're pretty nice. Needs a bit of volume on the dirty channel though. How much does the guy want for it?
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
Having played one at a gig... they're pretty nice. Needs a bit of volume on the dirty channel though. How much does the guy want for it?

i dont know for definate, its on ebay and ive bid upto £200 so far and the reserve is above that, i rekkon around the £300 mark but dont no for derfinate cus he wont tell me.

My Gear
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
Well, you can always look on Youtube for some clips to give you an idea. And remember, it will still hold its resale value should you find that it isn't for you. If you get the chance to try one out first, though, I strongly recommend you take it.
The Mesa DC amps are great amps! I was going to buy a DC-5 combo a few months back. It's kind of hard to explain how it sounds. It's like an early Recto, but with Mark series characteristics... if that makes any sense. The cleans on that amp are great as well. It easily blows your JCM800 out of the water. The DC-5 also has that extra 5-band EQ for further EQ'ing. If you can get a good deal on that amp, go for it. I passed up a DC-5 shorthead and Mesa 1x12 cab last year, regretted it since.

Those Laney's are very nice amps, but if I was stuck between those two amps I'd get the DC-5 without even thinking. Just sit with the amp for about an hour, you'll be thinking "Laney doesn't even make an AC30?"

Then again, the voicing might not be what you're looking for. Give it a try though, it's an amazing amp.