Um, got this as a starter set, pic included:

EDIT: Not a representative of my colour, mine is sunburst

and I recently got a T-bird, and I don't want to let this just gather dust in the corner. I need some advice as I've never modded a guitar before and really don't want to **** it up. Basically, I need/want to do the following:

1) Replace the neck/headstock - I really need to do this as the neck is beginning to warp slightly and the tuning pegs are **** as is.

2) Re-colour it - personal preference really, sunburst just feels a bit old, so out with the sander i guess

3) re-solder electrics - volume control beginning to fall apart

4) New pick guard - Kinda looking for a Music man round one here, can easily make one at school (heck, probs gonna do it all at school)

If you could give me any hints/tips/tricks would really rate it, cheers

EW
Not really a bump, more of a double post as I forgot to add some, Before and after pics.

Before:

How did you manage to stick an Isis sticker and an MCR sticker onto the same instrument without the universe collapsing in on itself? That does not compute.
Quote by Pikka Bird
How did you manage to stick an Isis sticker and an MCR sticker onto the same instrument without the universe collapsing in on itself? That does not compute.

lol , i just like a diverse range of music, including but not exclusive to: Emo and Post-metal.

Invader Jim: Um, I have a short attention span, got bored with it, hence the tribal stuff in nail-varnish and the stickers everywhere and the coloured in tribal stuff. I just want to redo this, probably help me not to start defacing my T-bird...

And yes I do have access to a soldering iron, tbh why would I suggest doing the resoldering myself if I didn't...?

Gonna make a start today I think, whole body and neck/'stock sanding
I thought you said you wanted to get a new neck?
When I built my bass, I managed to buy a neck by a company that makes them with Fender-copy headstocks, just a personal preference, but I just hate non-fender headstocks on basses.
I tried to gauge from the band stickers on your bass, exactly what kind of influences you have, but I cannot, hahah.

But I'm just going to go with what I would do to the thing (note: you most likely wouldn't):

Firstly, I'd paint it black.
sand it down, get a black - or if that's too generic for you, a really dark gun metal grey - and repaint it.
I'd replace the white (I assume it's white?) pickguard with a red tortoise shell one. I'm not too sure how well that would go with gun metal grey, but maybe try a different pearloid? (Gun metal grey with perloid blue or green would look okay)
Then I'd try and buy some form of Maple/Rosewood replacement fender neck. Try and get vintage maple and rosewood fretboard. That would look nuts.

The whole black/tortoise/rosewood on maple thing is so appealing to me lately. That's what my next build is, only with a vintage maple fretboard.

Then, if it was me, I'd completely scrap the electronics bar the input/output jack and the pickups. Replace the tone/volume knobs and the wiring. Rewire it (considering you own a soldering iron, I assume you can use it? Haha)

If you really want the Music Man pickguard, just make one out of plastic.
I'm not sure where it would look around though. Would the P bass pickup be in the pickguard or outside it?

And then make a control plate out of steel sheet.

Good luck. I've probably rambled on in my own daydream of the bass I'm building, and none of this makes sense. Oh well

Have fun.
Quote by Gymmeh
I thought you said you wanted to get a new neck?

meh, been lookin about, online, necks for bass are really quite expensive...think Ill stick with mine, even if I only use this as a vanity item and never play it again

K, stage 1 is nearing completion, the sanding has commenced and I've finished the planes, but goddamn those edges and horns are a hassle

Um, I was thinking colours wise, arctic white body and neck/head (bear with me ) and no pickguard, with a black line In line with the strings front and back like this:

kinda racing stripey, just sprung to mind randonly...

anyway, need to find some more time and get that goddamn sanding finished
Quote by Gymmeh
Yes but with no pickguard, what covers the electronics?

A see-through pick guard would be pretty sexy. Actually... if he put some like silver metal flake in the Arctic White finish it'd look even sexier.
thinking of fitting a real close cover to just cover the routing and 'lectrics

and, seriously my electrics r anything but sexy
Gymmeh, no worries, its all up here *tap, tap*

Plan:

Sand Body/neck
Paint Arctic White body and neck
Add stripe (paint or decal?)
Make Cover for electrics only (instead of whole pickguard)
um, not sure not a fan of the whole EVH Frankenstrat aesthetics with the pickups inset in such big routing. Thankfully my bass has much closer routing so the area around the Pups is filled and the only thing I need to cover is the Pots and electric routing.

...although I've been lookin at some new pups, probs gonna take this a bit slower and check my options regarding passive/active as I have no battery cavity and no experience regarding the wiring etc.

EDIT: If ur talking bout the EVH stripy thing, not really, gonna be a single stripe up the length of the body, front and back
No, I was talking about the way the Frankenstrat doesn't have a pickguard, but only a little plate loaded with the electronics.
You seem to have some decent tribal designs going on there, maybe you should go white with black hardware + black tribal design.

seems like a fun project

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
K,

Kaptink:- Um, not totally sure :~ , think it might be the truss, it bows downwards in the middle slightly (fingerboard up) and actually frets itself near the headstock.

Universe:- Like the idea alot actually, where the tribals actually go is the problem, but maybe within the shape of a pickguard, so from a distance it looks like a black PG on white body. something to think on.
Bump!

Got some white lacquer spray paint, gonna scowl some primer off of Design department at school and spray it there. Progress, slow but sure...
K, change of plan somewhat....basically I've stained the neck (which is maple) a deep(er) brown and started the sprying of the body. SO - no painted neck and headstock = Cheaper on paint costs

Still gonna do a body design of some sort, but not one that extends up the neck

Body with one full coat, and neck with 1 application of stain

Stained headstock

body with better light

nice man... i think you should do do your tribal designs on a clear PG and then put that on there... it would look sick! and then have your stripe start at the strap button on the borrom and run up the back of the guitar to the neck... that would give it balance.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
sounds like a good plan actually, although might not look so good with tribal one side, and strip 'tother
i meant on the back not the front... you could do your tribal on the front and the stripe on the back... it will look awesome! i wish i was able to photoshop something cause it would be awesome!
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
i gettcha, would be pretty sick, but I just think it might be too much goin on visually and too different when they meet on the front, ill come up with some paper designs and have a thin about it tho
nice so far. like the roadrunner united poster in the background
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
yeah i got that from Kerrang or somewhere (which has become utterly **** imo since) and the album's quality
oh dude i think we still aren't on the same page... okay.. so the stripe would be on the back and only go to the bottom strap button... then the tribal design would be on the pickgaurd... got it? lol im sorry for not explaining well!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
nah, my fault, its too early in the morning (9am) to be doing anything strenuous like reading
Basically ur idea is a good one, but, like whats the point of having a stripe up the back where no one can see?
cause it will provide the balance visually when you hang the guitar on an angle... well i have mine like that so i would always have something to break up the back ya know? and it is a cool idea if you ever say put the guitar with the strings facing your amp just because thats how you set it down... iunno thats why i always do something on the back even if its just put in different colored back plates...
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
O
M
F
G
!
!
!

****, ****, ****

basically disaster struck when I tried to paint my lovely brilliant white body with its evil black stripe. True to form the colour of the devil went and ruined my paintwork, and I dont even know why....

I specifially matched paint types (laquer based on both) and assumed I'd be fine. But no, When I mask the template off and spray on the inky blackness of space,leave it to dry and come back to it later, I find the first coat has....i dont know, blistered the white underneath, AND its bled under the template....ARGGH!!!
K, disaster gonna be averted soon, well as soon as I can be bothered to resand the whole thing, decided gonna go white all over and just get a redtortoiseshell PG to cover electrics and look good
Did you use a primer? You don't seem to of mentioned that, that could be why the paint bled, I suggest 4 coats primer, 8 coats white, THEN the stripe, for best effect.

Then laquer the sucker into oblivion.

Sanding between EVERY coat no less.

White + That stained neck + Red torty pickguard = Booteek!
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
I've seen so many examples, red tortoise PG on white body looks great.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
^It's better on a vintage white... Way better. To me, at least.

Pedriko: Don't you think 4 coats of primer is a little extreme? And the 8 coats of colour would have to be very light passes, I think...
^Pikka: I think trying to spray too thick might haave been the cause of the 'blistering' though so gonna go light as i can reasonably this time...