yea so i watched this move about 2 years ago, and it just completey f*cked my mind. i had no idea what was going on, and im pretty sure i fell alseep in the middle of it, which made matters worse. so for some reason it just came to me, so i read the article on wikipeda. and once again....it ****ed my mind.

Bowman arrives in a futuristic room containing Louis XVI-style decor [2]. As he walks about the room, he repeatedly sees himself at later stages of ageing, first in his spacesuit, then in an ornate dressing robe, sitting down to a well-appointed meal. The older Dave accidentally knocks his glass on the floor, smashing it and breaking the silence. Looking up from the broken glass, he sees himself lying on what appears to be his deathbed, at the foot of which appears a final monolith. Dave slowly reaches out to it and is transformed into a fetus-like being enclosed in a transparent orb of light — the "Star Child". The film suddenly returns to space near the Moon and Earth. Floating in space, the Star Child gazes at Earth.

I remember the monolith appeared twice before in the movie. so what the hell does that monolith portray, and what is up with ending. im just too dumb for these movies
Oguchi Onyewu!! Nufc fan by any chance?

I haven't watched the film, so don't know what you're on about.
TRANSFORMICE

i may be wrong, but i thought the monolith was like, a symbol for something that is constant throughout humanity. think about it, it's there at the dawn of man, and it's there during the technologically advanced era of man of "2001". Its there in all the parts of Daves life in the final sequence.

also, it first appears before the first tool is created. it appears after that on the moon. (this film was a year before the moon landings i believe, so the moon is like, the next stage in humanity, or so they thought then) then it finally appears in the furthest reaches of space, and (as it seems) the furthest reaches of daves mind.

it could be like, the adventurous, or the creative spirit of humanity, or it could represent humanities will to survive and adapt. Survival would be backed up by the fact that it is seen in Daves mind after he deactivates HAL, mans triumph over technology.

all guesswork of course.
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Quote by Magic Jim
i may be wrong, but i thought the monolith was like, a symbol for something that is constant throughout humanity. think about it, it's there at the dawn of man, and it's there during the technologically advanced era of man of "2001". Its there in all the parts of Daves life in the final sequence.

also, it first appears before the first tool is created. it appears after that on the moon. (this film was a year before the moon landings i believe, so the moon is like, the next stage in humanity, or so they thought then) then it finally appears in the furthest reaches of space, and (as it seems) the furthest reaches of daves mind.

it could be like, the adventurous, or the creative spirit of humanity, or it could represent humanities will to survive and adapt. Survival would be backed up by the fact that it is seen in Daves mind after he deactivates HAL, mans triumph over technology.

all guesswork of course.

interesting theory. The wikipedia article says the movie has themes in evolution, so your theory about humanties will to survive and adapt makes sense. first with the ape people using the new tool to protect their water-hole. i cant tthink of anything for the moon, and then like you said when Dave deactivates HAL.

yep, I suck at movies that make me think.
Quote by tallicafan888
Oguchi Onyewu!! Nufc fan by any chance?

I haven't watched the film, so don't know what you're on about.

no sir, USA Supporter.

although im happy that Newcastle finally have a good manager.
The monkeys at the start of the movie seemed to be living in peace in nature, until the obviously intelligently created monolith arrived. Then the monkeys realised they could make stuff themselves. They began to make their own tools, but unfortunatley used them for bad, instead of good. They made weapons and killed a monkey when they took over the waterhole, like this was the begining of wars. I don't know if the monolith could be another version of the apple in the garden of eden or something? Curiosity killing the cat maybe?

Watch the next movie: 2010: The Year we Make Contact
It answers many questions raised by the 1st. It was written by someone else, but still based on the Arthur C Clarke novel of the same name. It's got more action in it too.
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
If you read the books, you find out the monlith isn't all that metaphisic. It's an alien device that manipulates life. In 2010 it turns Saturn into a star, the reason it does that is to make Europa habbitable to life.
The reason it appears when man discovers tools is because it endowed us with intelegence.
I think the monolith might be symbolic for God. At least that's what I got out of it. I was high when I watched it.
Quote by Archaon
I think the monolith might be symbolic for God. At least that's what I got out of it. I was high when I watched it.

i think they were high when they made it
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
I don't care about what a great filmmaker Stanley Kubrick is, 2001: A Space Odyssey was just flat-out boring.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I don't care about what a great filmmaker Stanley Kubrick is, 2001: A Space Odyssey was just flat-out boring.

Maybe........but the book is awesome.
The book came after the film though, few people realize this, but Arthur C. Clarke was hired to write a story for a movie.
Any way, symbolically you can interpret things many ways, but the reality or rather the fantasy of the story is that the monolith is an alien intelegence.