Hi, i play acoustic guitar, and have done for a while.
So far i've only been playing things from chord diagrams, tabs and simple things by ear.
i can do a fair few chords, and with practice i can do some pretty decent stuff from tab, but id really like to be able to play more complex stuff from ear, and to be able to write my own songs.
what theory would you recommend learning? at least as a start

thanks for your help
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
do you know any scales? you can use them to write chord progressions and melodies to go over them...you need to know how they work and how certain chords fit them
Dancing In Your Dust
Intervals all the way... if you can hear intervals, it will make identifying more complex music easier as well as it gives a starting point in song writing techniques. The other great thing about intervals is that it can replace chord diagrams as you will be able to construct a chord from any root on the fretboard.
thanks, i'll have a look at some,
thanks for the quick reply as well
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Quote by joeythedrummer
Intervals all the way... if you can hear intervals, it will make identifying more complex music easier as well as it gives a starting point in song writing techniques. The other great thing about intervals is that it can replace chord diagrams as you will be able to construct a chord from any root on the fretboard.

Yeah, what he said. Intervals are what I'm studying...I still suck at them...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Try maj/min penatonic scales...It's an easy way to learn your way around the fretboard.