Im looking to pick up a tube combo amp with high gain for metal: Engl, Peavey, Mesa, Framus? If you have played these which would you reccomend? And do you know if any are easier to find used?
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster Ash MIM
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Out of all those, the only really high-gain amp I've played is the 5150, which I would say is perfect for metal. You could always look at a Randall RG50TC - those have the sort of gain you need for really heavy styles, too.
engl screamer would be my first choice....compared to the 5150 it has way better cleans and destorted sound is at least as well as the peavey!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
I second the Peavey 5150........sweet amp..........you'll have to find one used though.....you could also look at the 6505, they still make those
Played many tube amps, I settled on the Rivera. Great amp for all around tone, high gain and clean. They have many different models. I have the fandango 100 watt. It has great tone and a pull out switch to scoop the mids. Play this newer stuff. You can find one used for about a grand.
you dont need 100 watt...
my gear:

Quote by dickeskind
you dont need 100 watt...

Some amps only come in 100 watt models. If you decide against getting an amp because it's 100 watts then you're an utter pillock.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music

relax you body....

everyone can take what he wants....just said that 100 watt are too much for me...
my gear:

Quote by timi_hendrix

Some amps only come in 100 watt models. If you decide against getting an amp because it's 100 watts then you're an utter pillock.

I totally agree. Now it is true you don't need 100W but if you found THE amp for you and it only comes in 100W, then by all means get it.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by stratman1971
Played many tube amps, I settled on the Rivera. Great amp for all around tone, high gain and clean. They have many different models. I have the fandango 100 watt. It has great tone and a pull out switch to scoop the mids. Play this newer stuff. You can find one used for about a grand.

Seconding the Rivera suggestion. My amp is a M100 212 combo. It's got 100W as well, but you can switch to 10, 25 and 50 W. It's a really versatile amp, with lots of possibilities for tweaking the sound. Lots of gain, and great cleans too.

I'm not saying ENGLs, Peavey 5150s or whatever aren't nice amps, but there are some lesser known brands that make awesome amps. Depends on your price range and where you live, of course.
You right man, 100 watta will scream. Mine has a little vintge/modern switch in the back that cuts the power tubes down to about 50 watts. I use that sometimes. But the reason I like the higher side, is I get a fuller tone when I crank those tubes up. I just roll back the pre amp volume a little to get my warmness. Am I talking greek?..lol. I'm big on my tone. I'm a good guitar player not a great one, but my sound is great. Part of that is the way I set up my amp. 100 watts isn't necesary but it helps sometimes. Oh and if i want I can crank it up and knock stuff off the walls...lol.
Quote by dickeskind

relax you body....

everyone can take what he wants....just said that 100 watt are too much for me...

I believe you said that HE didn't need 100.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I believe you said that HE didn't need 100.

true. but he really doesn't need 100 watts actually.
but he didn't say he shouldn't get an amp he loves because of the high wattage.

relax
Ummm he never told us his price range...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.