My parents were like today, there's no point you getting Laney GH50L since your just playing at bedroom level blah blah blah...

So I've got to look for another amp :\

I was thinking of a Randall RG-50 TC

What do you think of them?

Are there any other amps around that price that are good for metal?
The RG50TC is good for metal, but honestly, if the GH50L is too much for bedroom level then so is the RG50TC. Just don't tell your parents that

You could also look at an Ashdown Fallen Angel, but I'm not sure you'd have an easy time finding one.
try to convince your parence the lany is one awesome amp!!!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
If your parents think combos are quieter you can be sly and get a Laney VC50. It's the combo version of the VH100R which has a very similar (almost identical in fact) drive channel to the GH50L. They go for about £300 or thereabouts on ebay, I got mine for £275.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Ht666
Lol, I'll show them this thread.

Really?

Hey, Ht666's parents...a Laney GH50L and a 2x12 (or even a 4x12 I guess) wouldn't be too big for bedroom use - I have a JCM900 50w head and 2x12 and I can keep it quiet

Yeh, can everyone like write a post saying "dear Ht666's parents... please get him"
Since we're on speaking terms with them now d'ya reckon your parents could get me something as well? :p
Right, get a VC50-212, if I'm not very much mistaken, this is basically the GH50 in a 2x12 combo...

EDIT: Damn you timi!!!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Can the VC50 handle Trivium, Metallica, Pantera, Bullet For My Valentine?
Quote by Ht666
Can the VC50 handle Trivium, Metallica, Pantera, Bullet For My Valentine?

and maybe In Flames/Soilwork-stuff? if it does, then I'm getting one
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
it can handle metallica and bullet....i tryed to play pantera on it....it is possible, though this amp might not be the best solution...

if you like metal than i would convince your parents to buye a Engl Powerball...
my gear:

Last edited by dickeskind at Nov 8, 2007,
yea.....but if youre really into metal....you will want to have one...one day

the engl fireball is too expensive....maybe a used screamer?
my gear:

combo is cheaper!
a new one costs about 950 Euro!!!

but beliefe me for metal, Engl are so much better than the lany!
i compared them: on the lany you can play black sabbath, AC/DC, Guns'n roses, metallica
on the engl you can play all the above and everything harder!!!
and yes metal tones do sound much better on the Engl
my gear:

check out the engl thunder. It's a slightly more vintage and less gain than the screamer, but still tons of gain (and cheaper)

Maybe a marshall dsl40 too.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^ Screamer > Thunder really.

The screamer combos will run at just over your bugdet new but you could get one second hand for £450 maybe less.

Just make sure you get the new one with the V30 speaker in it (Y).
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
surely if you can only play at bedroom volumes then you wont be able to push a VC-50 into metal territory? maybe your parents are right
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
surely if you can only play at bedroom volumes then you wont be able to push a VC-50 into metal territory? maybe your parents are right

VC50s aren't the same as the VC30 or VC15s. They're combo version of the VH100R and sound fine at lower volumes. Better louder, obviously, but they get to metal easily.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by guitaristclass
^ Screamer > Thunder really.

The screamer combos will run at just over your bugdet new but you could get one second hand for £450 maybe less.

Just make sure you get the new one with the V30 speaker in it (Y).

I never said it didn't but I've never sen a screamer below £550 unless it was pick up only, but not everyone can do those (e.g me)

I preferred the screamer for its modern gain but other than that there's very little between them. The screamer would have suited me better but I simply couldn't afford it. This guys taste isn't all that modern so a Thunder wouldn't be much of a compromise at all.

Still, I agree, if you can find a screamer for less than a thunder then there's no doubt as to which you should get, screamer is more versatile
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
get an Orange Tiny Terror and use the last £50 to get a decent overdrive pedal like Boss SD-1 or a Digitech Bad Monkey, then you should be sorted.

save a little more and get the Krank Rev Jr, if metal is your thing that will be impressive and should do for bedoom levels !!!