I own an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 guitar, and a Digitech Grunge distortion pedal. I'll probably need only 50 watts because frankly, I'm not in a band good enough to gig.

For cleans:
I really like the sound in Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter". It's slightly nearing overdrive, with a little vibrato. Download the song, I'm bad at explaining.

I also like the sound in "Little Wing" by the Hendrix Experience.

For distortion:
I'm a fan of Incubus' distorted sound, and also like Muse's "Plug in Baby" sound.

I know I can't afford to buy those sounds, but it just shows where I want to go.

Edit: Oops, I forgot the obligatory "So, what would you suggest?".
For Plug in Baby I would suggest the following:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380

30 watts tube is seriously loud

http://www.mansons.co.uk/product_info.cfm?productID=zvexvexte

Slightly over €550 but worth every cent

I am biased of course but damn it sounds amazing
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Well I'm probably not going to buy the fuzz (it's a bit prize for a pedal anyway), my plan was just to go to a few shops, bring my guitar and pedal and try some amps. I just needed suggestions for a more focused search.

I didn't know there were tube amps of good quality in the prize class. I'll check it out but I'm not sure whether we have Laneys in Holland.

Edit: I've heard good things about Vox, the Marshall AVT series and I like the sound of my friend's Hiwatt. Can anyone tell me something about those?
Last edited by frankv at Nov 8, 2007,
marshall avt's are shite- that laney vc30 is infinity times better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it sounds a bit better than an mg, but then you've paid a lot more money for something which is still crap.

basically the tone is horrible, and it's expensive enough that you could get a decent amp instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it sounds a bit better than an mg, but then you've paid a lot more money for something which is still crap.

basically the tone is horrible, and it's expensive enough that you could get a decent amp instead.

Thanks. I must admit I'm a little attracted by brand names so this certainly helps.
yeah, i've got an avt. i hate it. the kudos for having the marshall badge on your amp wears off long before the horror at the abysmal tone and extortionate price...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?