Page 1 of 2
This thread is mainly for Southern metal a la Pantera, Down, CoC, Eyehategod, Acidbath, Goatsnake, Goatwhore, Crowbar, Soilent Green and all that ****.

I'll start- I saw Down a month ago on headlining tour, no opening acts. Just 2 hours of pure riffage from the powerhouse supergroup that is Down. Awesome show. Phil was amazing, Rex was a bass monster and Pepper is Pepper. Not to mention the coolness from Kirk and Bower Power. Anybody else whose seen 'em feel free to share!
I like the sludgecore and Southern Doom oriented stuff. I hate Pantera.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
I like the sludgecore and Southern Doom oriented stuff. I hate Pantera.

How can you hate pantera?!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
How about Jackyl and Tesla!

Nobody hates Pantera, they just say they do.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
I used to be real into Pantera, not so anymore. What about Superjoint, people always hassle them but some of their songs are pretty good.
Quote by Footzyrama

not everybody worships the ground dime walks on....plus phil's an asshole so i dont like SR or down in addition to pantera
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I think Priestess could qualify as southern metal, even though they are canadian. Awesome band, check out their album.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Footzyrama

because they suck, made horrible music, were boring, and are a pseudometal band
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

New Orleans metal really doesn't get enough respect. All those bands you named ruin so many of the rest of the "metal" bands out there. I hear Soilent Green is in the studio.
Quote by kiennM
New Orleans metal really doesn't get enough respect. All those bands you named ruin so many of the rest of the "metal" bands out there. I hear Soilent Green is in the studio.

Absolutely false in every way.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Absolutely false in every way.

You either like bands that have songs named.....

Lustfully Worshipping The Inverted Moongoat While Skiing Down The Inverted Necromountain Of Necrodeathmortum

Or you like bands that have songs names like.......

Infinite infinancy

This alone makes you a faggot. Take your tr00 and metal warrior of the world bull**** elsewhere.
Oh dear the threads gone off track already, anyway i enjoy most of the bands you put up TS but i was disappointed by Down III but maybe it will grow on me like II did.

EDIT:

Quote by Terror Kovenant
I like good metal, which this forum has a severe lack of.

Well leave then that would be better than ruining threads with your opinions that you had no need to come into this thread to express.
Quote by kiennM
You either like bands that have songs named.....

Lustfully Worshipping The Inverted Moongoat While Skiing Down The Inverted Necromountain Of Necrodeathmortum

Or you like bands that have songs names like.......

Infinite infinancy

This alone makes you a faggot. Take your tr00 and metal warrior of the world bull**** elsewhere.

Hooray for making bull**** assumptions, do it more often because it totally reveals the quality of person you are! I like good metal, which this forum has a severe lack of.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Hooray for making bull**** assumptions, do it more often because it totally reveals the quality of person you are! I like good metal, which this forum has a severe lack of.

Right, and being the supreme metal ruler and spartan of all that is tr000000000. Makes you come off as the coolest 17 year old in the whole school!!!!!
and for the record i like songs that are titled Symbolic, Zero Tolerance, Empty Words, Sacred Serenity, 1000 Eyes, Without Judgement, Crystal Mountain, Misanthrope, Perenial Quest

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by kiennM
Right, and being the supreme metal ruler and spartan of all that is tr000000000. Makes you come off as the coolest 17 year old in the whole school!!!!!

Another false assumption that makes you look like a fool.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by dead-fish
I think Priestess could qualify as southern metal, even though they are canadian. Awesome band, check out their album.

yeh, they got some groovin' tunes. Also, Alabama Thunderpussy does it for me.
Quote by Terror Kovenant
Another false assumption that makes you look like a fool.

Looking like a fool under an alias on a "heavy metal message board!!!", in a thread that prolly will be like 30 pages deep in a few days? I couldn't careless. Keep fighting the good fight brother.
Quote by guitgrinder
This thread is mainly for Southern metal a la Pantera, Down, CoC, Eyehategod, Acidbath, Goatsnake, Goatwhore, Crowbar, Soilent Green and all that ****.

I'll start- I saw Down a month ago on headlining tour, no opening acts. Just 2 hours of pure riffage from the powerhouse supergroup that is Down. Awesome show. Phil was amazing, Rex was a bass monster and Pepper is Pepper. Not to mention the coolness from Kirk and Bower Power. Anybody else whose seen 'em feel free to share!

I've never gotten to see Down and it's about at the point that I'll go just about anywhere to catch one of their shows. Biggest thing I don't like about moving up to the north is all the southern metal that's going on back home.
Quote by oldspice
I've never gotten to see Down and it's about at the point that I'll go just about anywhere to catch one of their shows. Biggest thing I don't like about moving up to the north is all the southern metal that's going on back home.

I was able to see them on two shows on this tour and once a year or two ago in new orleans. Their really at the top of their game, looks like all of them kicked whatever habits they had and just really blew me away each night. Its worth it if your thinking about taking a hike to see them.
Quote by powerhead
yeh, they got some groovin' tunes. Also, Alabama Thunderpussy does it for me.

I'm just getting into those guys. Blasphemy is an awesome song. Album I should check out?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by kiennM
Looking like a fool under an alias on a "heavy metal message board!!!", in a thread that prolly will be like 30 pages deep in a few days? I couldn't careless. Keep fighting the good fight brother.

Oh well. Youre still a fool who listens to weak and sissy pseudo-metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

terror kovenant stop feeding a troll

kiennM stop being a dick

back to the subject alabama thunderpussy

EDIT: whoever mentioned tesla ...they're pretty much the only band from my hometown to make it big
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Down and CoC own.

That's pretty much it.

Stone The Crow and In The Arms of God ftw.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by Footzyrama

Easy, if I wanted to listen to Exhorder, I would listen to Exhorder.

Anyways, who likes EyeHateGod? They're one of the first 'extreme metal' bands I ever got into, when I was about 14.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Nov 14, 2007,
Goat***** is a southern band? Wow, I was assuming they'd come from those good ol' scandinavian countries. By southern metal are we talking about just where they come from or the style of music?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by STABxYOU
Easy, if I wanted to listen to Exhorter, I would listen to Exhorter.

Anyways, who likes EyeHateGod? They're one of the first 'extreme metal' bands I ever got into, when I was about 14.

I've never even heard of "Exhorter," but I have heard of EXHORDER. Slaughter In The Vatican was pretty sweet.

On the subject of ATP: cool ass dudes makin' some rockin' tunes. The song Blasphemy was on Fulton Hill. Good album, though I liked Staring At The Divine a bit more if only for Twilight Arrival. The new one Open Fire is also good, and interestingly enough, Kyle Thomas from Exhorder is their new singer! I used to be in a band in Cali with all my childhood pals and we booked a gig for ATP and opened for 'em and afterward our drummer let 'em stay at his house, so I've even met these guys. We smoke a lot of weed and drank a lot of booze that! Whoooo-wee! My drummer friend Ritchie still talks to those guys and meets up with 'em every time they come through Cali actually!

and to Captain of Smug- yeah, they are from the southern states, though they have trhe black metal sound, it does sound a bit different than the Scandinavian stuff if you think about it. Less pretentious, I think. The guitarist Sammy is from NOLA legends Acid Bath, who, if you have not heard you need to do so right now. Most people like When The Kite String Pops, but I prefer Paegan terrorist Tactics.. think Alice In Chains as a death metal band fronted by evil Jim Morrison!

and by the way- Terror Kovenent is a ****ing fagtard.
Oh, and if ANY of you have heard The Mystick Krewe of Clearlight, you have my deepest respects.
Alabama Thunderpussy, a long time ago, damn maybe bout 4, 5 years back, I saw them on Headbangers Ball. That one song was badass. So I guess people aren't all that crazy 'bout Superjoint.
Quote by HopeLeaves_35
Alabama Thunderpussy, a long time ago, damn maybe bout 4, 5 years back, I saw them on Headbangers Ball. That one song was badass. So I guess people aren't all that crazy 'bout Superjoint.

I've SJR three times... sick, every time. People who say they didn't like SJR is basically 'cuz it wasn't Pantera-caliber, but it's just different. It was perfect thrash- punk/metal kind of stuff. I kinda still wish they were still around, even if I do like Down more. They were fun live.
I love most of these bands and the albums below are some of my all time favorites:

Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets (one of the most intense albums ever)
Acid Bath - Pagan Terrorism Tactics
Down - NOLA

These three really stick out to me for some reason. Probably b/c they're insanely freakin awesome.
Just saw Down in Orlando. Sick, sick show. Phil was on-point, as was everyone else. They played "Swan Song", which they said they haven't played in 7 or so years. I got right up on the rail the whole night.

Awesome show.
Quote by JesseR
Just saw Down in Orlando. Sick, sick show. Phil was on-point, as was everyone else. They played "Swan Song", which they said they haven't played in 7 or so years. I got right up on the rail the whole night.

Awesome show.

Hell yeah! Did they close with Bury Me In Smoke? When I saw 'e, last month they did, and Phil threw in lyrics from Nothing In Return on it. Awesome.

Phil almost looks like a different person these days... much different energy. Its cool.
Quote by dead-fish
I'm just getting into those guys. Blasphemy is an awesome song. Album I should check out?

new album is pretty cool - i think it's with a different vocalist. Sounds good though.

JesseR - man i would kill to see Down live :P the new album is too cool.
Quote by guitgrinder
Oh, and if ANY of you have heard The Mystick Krewe of Clearlight, you have my deepest respects.

That's good **** right there.
Hi, I'm Mike, and I am a progressive metal nerd.
Quote by guitgrinder
I've never even heard of "Exhorter," but I have heard of EXHORDER. Slaughter In The Vatican was pretty sweet.

I must have rolled a 1 on my spell check.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by guitgrinder
Hell yeah! Did they close with Bury Me In Smoke? When I saw 'e, last month they did, and Phil threw in lyrics from Nothing In Return on it. Awesome.

Phil almost looks like a different person these days... much different energy. Its cool.

Yea man. They closed with Smoke, and Phil stuck the last lyrics of Nothing in Return on it. I met Kirk and Pepper after the show. At the end of smoke, I don't know who, I think it might have been Kirk's daughter, I'm not sure, but she got on stage and had Kirk's guitar and busted out a solo. Pretty sweet.

I think Phil is finally clean man. I'm sure he still smokes or drinks or something, but it just finally looks like he's just having fun up there. Looks like his back is doing better too. He didn't use the mic stand a lot that night. God damn it was a sick show.

They also said they would be back and to look out for a new album sooner than what III took them.
Quote by JesseR
Yea man. They closed with Smoke, and Phil stuck the last lyrics of Nothing in Return on it. I met Kirk and Pepper after the show. At the end of smoke, I don't know who, I think it might have been Kirk's daughter, I'm not sure, but she got on stage and had Kirk's guitar and busted out a solo. Pretty sweet.

I think Phil is finally clean man. I'm sure he still smokes or drinks or something, but it just finally looks like he's just having fun up there. Looks like his back is doing better too. He didn't use the mic stand a lot that night. God damn it was a sick show.

They also said they would be back and to look out for a new album sooner than what III took them.

About how old is she? Honestly I can't believe any woman would rear that man's child. That would have been some ugly sex. Bluuuggghh.

I think they've even dropped a few hints that it might be a fully "acooustic" album... kinda like Down's version of Damnation, y'know? That would be ****in' awesome.
Quote by guitgrinder
About how old is she? Honestly I can't believe any woman would rear that man's child. That would have been some ugly sex. Bluuuggghh.

I think they've even dropped a few hints that it might be a fully "acooustic" album... kinda like Down's version of Damnation, y'know? That would be ****in' awesome.

She looked maybe late teens or early 20's. Kirk has a wife though. I meant him before the show, and I'm pretty sure that the chick with him was "with" him.

I haven't heard about the acoustic, but you're right man, that would be insane.

You should definitely try to check them out. I think their tour ends in 2 months or so.
Page 1 of 2