Hi. I remember when first starting the guitar 8 months ago how sore it was to slide on the guitar. It was such a relief when I noticed my skin hardening on my fingers and I could slide on the guitar no problem there was no pain. I recently started doing more barre chords. I finally have devloped the strength for them now but It's starting to hurt my index finger from pushing down so hard. I've noticed that the bit on my index finger is starting to get hard (just like the top of your finger tips) I really hope that this is goiing to prevent future pain from barre chords. I have just got an acoustic so i guess my fingers arent use to the strength that is required for the acoustic as it was easier to barre a chord for the electric. So my question is does anyone remember when they first starting barre chords? did it hurt? and did that calus or whatver its called grow where u bar the chord so you wouldnt feel anything?
When you're barring, you might want to try using the bonier side of your index finger more, if you see what I mean. Don't just put your finger flat on the fretboard, put it slightly to an angle where the bone is more prominent.

Makes it less painful for me, and easier to change.
Yeah, it did hurt. I myself still haven't perfected barre chords, but they are getting easier. Just take it easy and keep relaxed.
Quote by Don_Humpador
When you're barring, you might want to try using the bonier side of your index finger more, if you see what I mean. Don't just put your finger flat on the fretboard, put it slightly to an angle where the bone is more prominent.

Makes it less painful for me, and easier to change.

Yeap I wish I knew this months ago because I could never barre chords with my index finger flat. I can now play barre chords tilting my finger a little on the bonier side. This is where the hard skin is building up.it still hurts but I am just looking forward to when it becomes like the finger tips then theres no pain and you dont need to worry about it hurting like hell everytime you need to jump that F#m chord or something.