I'm a right-handed person, who plays right-handed guitar, but I was wondering, would learning to play guitar left-handed aid my playing?
Would it benefit my right-handed playing at all, such as right-hand dexterity, or just end up being somethin to show off with?
My friend is doing it just to play on whatever he comes across, right or left, but I don't see it helping him in any way.

Gear:
-------------------------------
Guitar:
MIM Fender Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
Cube 60

Quote by wyldedarko
Dude, if you already have the capo just put it behind the nut and it lowers everything.

n00bS....
I can't think of any way in which it would help you playing other than to show off...and that's not really 'help' so I wouldn't bother.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think you'd be better off learning something new instead trying to play with your left hand....

You have way too much time in your hands dude!
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

I think it would be bad. Because then your teaching your fretting hand to strum / finger pluck, and your teaching your strumming hand to fret. You'll mess up your guitar playing for a right-handed!
i dont think it will mess you up, but it wont help your either. it seems more advantageous to spend that time getting better playing right handed. and lets be honest, how often do you come across a left handed guitar. i've been playing for 8 years now and i've played with probably 30 other guitarists over that time, only 1 of which was lefty.

however, if you have the time, and a guitar to do it with, then go for it. i did that with guitar hero actually. i beat all the games (- 3 cause i dont have it yet) on expert and decided to try them left handed. it certainly gives you an appreciation for what you can do right handed.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
If your friend is left handed he might want to learn to play right handed.
But he would be more benefited from playing left handed.
I can't think of anyway it could help or it could hurt.
If you want to learn I think the only thing you could do is show off.
Quote by headfest88
i dont think it will mess you up, but it wont help your either. it seems more advantageous to spend that time getting better playing right handed. and lets be honest, how often do you come across a left handed guitar. i've been playing for 8 years now and i've played with probably 30 other guitarists over that time, only 1 of which was lefty.

however, if you have the time, and a guitar to do it with, then go for it. i did that with guitar hero actually. i beat all the games (- 3 cause i dont have it yet) on expert and decided to try them left handed. it certainly gives you an appreciation for what you can do right handed.

I completely agree, I mean it's just learning what you already know in a new technical way to do it. Why don't you pickup another instrument, banjo or violin?