So i've had a lot of problems with open notes noise on my guitar. Especially when I do bends. I start slow, i mute as much as possible without making it sound palm muted, but it doesn't change anything. I play a gibson les paul studio. Yesterday night though, I was at guitar center playing this fender strat, and there was no open note noisewhatsoever, even when I did stuff that made my guitar make a ton of open note noise. I wasn't muting either. So my question is, can the brand and gauge of string I use effect how much open note noise I get? I normally use 11 gauge. I can't remember the brand I have on now.
Well so is there anything I can do to stop it from happening? Because people think you're playing sloppy when your open strings ring, even if you nail every note.

edit: okay. yeah the strings were definitely older on the strat, although mine aren't new either..maybe I'll try 10's.
Quote by Spamwise
Well so is there anything I can do to stop it from happening? Because people think you're playing sloppy when your open strings ring, even if you nail every note.

edit: okay. yeah the strings were definitely older on the strat, although mine aren't new either..maybe I'll try 10's.

Yeah, I was thinking lighter strings would have slightly less overtones. But on the other hand, since they're thinner they might also start vibrating more easily.

The best way to stop it from happening is simply to mute the strings you're not playing with your right hand or any available fingers on the left hand.
do u mean fret buzzing?

that would have to be fixed by either adjusting the neck or lowering the height of the frets and would probrably have to be done by a pro

also im surprised that your guitar does that
i thought gibson studios would be great
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
Quote by kyrreca
Yeah, I was thinking lighter strings would have slightly less overtones. But on the other hand, since they're thinner they might also start vibrating more easily.

The best way to stop it from happening is simply to mute the strings you're not playing with your right hand or any available fingers on the left hand.

Well I rest my right hand right on the strings to try to mute out any noise, but it's really impossible to completely mute out the strings that cause noise becuase the ones that ring open are normally the adjacent strings (ie. if i'm bending the B string the G or E string will probably ring).

@led,

no not buzzing. my guitar rarely does that.