alright i need some help with a few algebra questions.

i know these aren't the hardest problems in the world but I'm a math noob

any help would be very appreciated

1. Alisha is making punch for a graduation party. The recipe requires twice as much orange juice as cranberry juice and 8 times as much ginger ale as cranberry juice. If she plans to make 165 oz of punch, how much orange juice does she need?

2. Find the measure of an angle if its suplement measures 12 degrees less than 3 times its complement.

3. Find two consecutive integers such that the larger, added to the eight times the smaller, equals 110.

thanks for any help
30 ounces of orange juice

process of elimination. start at one ounce of cranberry juice and work up
1 ounce cj, 2 ounce oj, 8 ounce ga
2 ounce cj, 4 ounce oj, 16 ounce ga
etc. etc.
15 ounce cj, 30 ounce oj, 120 ounce ga

15 + 30 + 120 = 165
Quote by A Rolling Stone
My first date was nowhere near as bad as your grammar
Last edited by deadhand329 at Nov 8, 2007,
look dude... this site is for guitarists, i dont think someone who enters here will answer your question... search in google sites for algebra and ask there....
oh and btw, what grade r u?
1 c= ammount of cranberry
c + 2c + 8c = 165
so 11c = 165
so c = 15
so ammount of orange = 2c = 30
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Last edited by samuwel at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by werewolx
look dude... this site is for guitarists, i dont think someone who enters here will answer your question... search in google sites for algebra and ask there....

Lol noob shut up this is the pit. Also, pay attention in english this year.
Last edited by .smudged. at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by werewolx

yo..don't harsh on this dude...he needs some help..help him or leave him alone
Quote by A Rolling Stone
1. I'll give you the equations for this one.
165 = x + y + z
y = 2x
z = 8x
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
hm...12 x 8 = 96 + 13 = 109 but i cant find 110
Quote by A Rolling Stone
these are all system of equation problems. ugh. those are the hardest to teach someone how to do. ill do the first one for you so you can see how its done.

there are 3 variables were solving for. Let o = amt of orange juice, c = amt of cranberry juice, and g = amt of ginger ale.

first equation uses the fact "the recipe requires twice as much orange juice as cranberry juice" that gives us the equation: o = 2c.

second equation uses the fact "the recipe requires 8 times as much ginger ale as cranberry juice." that gives us the equation g = 8c.

the last equation uses the fact "she plans to make 165 oz of punch". that gives us the equation: c + o + g = 165.

now we solve for the amt of orange juice req'd.

move the first equation around to get c = 1/2o, and subs that into the last equation.
you now have 3/2o + g = 165

then use the second equation to subs into the modified last equation
you now have 3/2o + 8c = 165.

use the modified first equation to substitute in the most recent equation.
you now have 11/2o = 165.

divide both sides by 11/2 and get o = 30

hope that explains it well enough for you. and you do the same deal with the other two problems
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
thank you all for the help;

its hard to get help on this because im homeschooled and my parents arent verry educated
Quote by deadhand329
30 ounces of orange juice

process of elimination. start at one ounce of cranberry juice and work up
1 ounce cj, 2 ounce oj, 8 ounce ga
2 ounce cj, 4 ounce oj, 16 ounce ga
etc. etc.
15 ounce cj, 30 ounce oj, 120 ounce ga

15 + 30 + 120 = 165
Don't do it this way. This is the dumbass way and you'll fail, unless you're 12 and your teachers are still teaching you how to count (like the grade 8's I volunteer tutor twice a week).

Mr BPT isn't quite right - only the first is a system of equations problem. The other two are just algebra. But his solution is good.

Quote by dfc_jebus
3. Find two consecutive integers such that the larger, added to the eight times the smaller, equals 110.

thanks for any help
If x is any integer, (x + 1) is the next consecutive integer, and conversely, (x - 1) is the previous integer - for the pair, we can use either, for obvious reasons, but we'll use the second.

First, take the integer, x ...

x

then add ...

x +

8 times ...

x + 8( )

the smaller, which is (x - 1) ...

x + 8(x - 1)

This equals 110, so...

x + 8(x - 1) = 110

Solving the equation gives

x + 8x - 8 = 110

9x - 8 = 110

9x = 118

x = 118/9, which isn't an integer, so either you typed it wrong or your teacher's a douche. At any rate, the actual solution for x gives you the larger integer, and one less than x is the smaller integer.

ed: Come to think of it, I should have noticed that from the start. With two consecutive integers, one is even and one is odd. So either you're multiplying the odd by 8 and getting an odd, and adding it to the even, which will give an odd, and 110 is even, or you're multiplying the even by 8 and getting an even, and adding the odd, and getting another odd. You fumbled something somewhere, or again, your teacher/textbook's an ass.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Last edited by jammoe at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by werewolx

No, this is the pit.
Quote by jammoe
Don't do it this way. This is the dumbass way and you'll fail, unless you're 12 and your teachers are still teaching you how to count (like the grade 8's I volunteer tutor twice a week).

i dont think i deserved that but whatever...if it makes you feel smarter to call other people stupid then be that as it may
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Quote by jammoe
ed: Come to think of it, I should have noticed that from the start. With two consecutive integers, one is even and one is odd. So either you're multiplying the odd by 8 and getting an odd, and adding it to the even, which will give an odd, and 110 is even, or you're multiplying the even by 8 and getting an even, and adding the odd, and getting another odd. You fumbled something somewhere, or again, your teacher/textbook's an ass.

8 x 3 = 24 ????

any multiple of an even can be expressed as: even + even + even... etc

and the problem doesn't work. the closest is 12 and 13.

12 x 8 = 96

96 + 13 = 109
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Last edited by Sol9989 at Nov 10, 2007,