Page 1 of 2
Hey people.
This is my first thread and first message as member. I would like to build myself a guitar during my holidays, which is about 3 months long. Mainly to keep myself occupied. I got a basic design, actually just three stock guitars put together. I would like to know what you guys think of it and some positive criticism will also be welcomed.
Attachments:
Custom_resize.JPG
Either build a Silhouette or a Jaguar, but this hybrid is exactly a beauty.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
thats a nice lookin guitar, if you can actualy build it... show us the finished product if you do get around to building it
From what I've heard building a neck is a b*tch. So I'll probbably buy a neck or ask a guitar builder to build the neck and headstock for me. This is going to be the first guitar I'll ever try to build, so I'm going to good a couple of books etc.
i would make the curves around the neck spikier but from that pic im guessing u dont want a metal guitar, looks awesome for a normal guitar tho
I wouldn't mind it being a metal guitar. Like I said the pic is just the basic design on what I'll still change a lot on. The most importent factors is cost, playabillty and ease of build in that order. I'll post a scetch as soon as I finished it.
Quote by WantzChas
From what I've heard building a neck is a b*tch. So I'll probbably buy a neck or ask a guitar builder to build the neck and headstock for me. This is going to be the first guitar I'll ever try to build, so I'm going to good a couple of books etc.

building a neck isn't bad. i would give it a shot if i were you
build a neck, because if you like the whole guitar building thing then on your next one you might make a better neck, then you can make another neck and continue to improve, rather than just tossing it off and buying one. Who knows, you might have sexy guitar necks coming out your arse by the end of the holidays :p
Thanks. I'll get the books and then judge from there. The angles that need to be calculated and fret distances etc sounded a bit advance but I would like to do everything myself. Can anyone give me recomendations on what wood to use on the neck, fretboard, body etc? I live in South Africa and have to find out if the selected wood would be available in stock or for ordering.
Beautiful hybrid man

Well, judging by the gibson neck id say it probably has a mahogany neck body with an Ebony fingerboard

but necks can be made of: maple, cherry, mahogany, rosewood, walnut, wenge ect

and fingerboards can be made of: maple, rosewood, pau ferro, kingwood ect

im not sure about the body you've got there

some good woods are swamp ash, mahoganny, alder, maple, walnut

plus theres many many more.

alder and mahogany are fairly inexpensive, good beginner woods

anyway good luck!
That looks like a pretty awesome design.
If you're planning on making a neck, but you're worried about fret slotting and precision things like that, you could buy a pre-slotted/pre-rediused fretboard.
Ok,so after drawing and tweaking with the base design, I came up with this. This is the first draft. I'm going to do atleast 2 more. What do you think?
Attachments:
Design1_resize.jpg
I personally don't like the headstocks on Fender models. Like I said it's a personal preferance. There is probably 50 other models (mostly Strat copies) that use the same headstock design. It don't have that wow factor. Thats why I chose the Musicman Silhouette headstock, cause it's good looking and not seen on 50 other guitars (not in South Africa anyway).

The design is to give it a more metal/rock feel which will keep on changing until I'm satisfied.
Back to the wood question. All the above listed woods, maple, cherry, mahogany, rosewood, walnut and wenge are REALLY expensive in South Africa. So I thought of using endogenous woods. Don't know whether you guys know teak- or emboya wood? Still expensive, but much cheaper than the above listed wood types. I was thinking about a teak neck and maybe emboya fret board, would that work?

I'm going to paint the body so I won't need a good looking wood. Just strong. What is a good decent cheapish wood to use for the body?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Look on warmoth.com at their wood guide and if you can get hold of any of them you're set.

That's thing. I will be able to get hold of them, but at a great expense. I looked at the woods they use and they are all scarce in South Africa and even if I do get hold of them, it'll cost me a small fortune. That’s why I asked about teak and emboya. Not that they're cheap, but a lot less expensive.

I'm still in the dark on what wood to use on the body. I know this sounds quite desperate, but will pine/plywood work? If not, will teak work for the body? Teak is kinda heavy so I don't know how it will influence the sound of the guitar. As I stated, the body will be painted so they wood used in the body can look like drift wood for all I care.
You can make a pretty educated guess on the tone of a wood by it's characteristics. Teak is pretty dense, right? If it's also oily it may sound close to wenge. That's kind of like maple but with less bite. Never heard of emboya though.
First of all, welcome to UG!

I'm no expert on guitar woods, so I honestly can't give you any advice in that respect, but I would not use pine/plywood.

I'm just finishing up my first guitar build (I just need to finish it), so if you have any other questions about the process, feel free to PM me. Of course, I'm no expert, but... :P

I love the design on the first page, I wouldn't change the horns at all.
Locally we pronounce it as Emboya, but it's also known as Imbuya. Here's a sample a got from Google which is similar to most emboya I've seen in South Africa.
Attachments:
WoodImbuya.jpg
I really like the Emboya. I dont think i have ever seen anytrhing like it on any electric guitar. If u put up a picture of some teak, that would be nice. I think that if u can find some wood thats not quarter-sawed, i cant think of the name right now, it should be cheaper. And ur gonna paint it, so it doesnt need to look great. And if u can find maybe 3 or 4 peices of a wood, u can glue em together and use that for a body, instead of trying to find one big peice, which is waaay more expensive.
Wow, that looks really nice. I'd feel quilty painting a non-transparant finish on a piece of wood like that.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
i say you put in Kerry King EMG's with overdrive booster

METALLLLLL \m/

+10000000000000000
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by Kanthras
Wow, that looks really nice. I'd feel quilty painting a non-transparant finish on a piece of wood like that.

That's the wood (the emboya/imbuya) I'm considering for my fingerboard. Want to use teak wood for the neck and cheap wood for the body. Don't know what yet. So far it's going to be teak for the body aswell, but I feel it's going to be a waste cause the body is going to be painted.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Look on warmoth.com at their wood guide and if you can get hold of any of them you're set.

+1!

Check out warmoth

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
Quote by WantzChas
That's the wood (the emboya/imbuya) I'm considering for my fingerboard. Want to use teak wood for the neck and cheap wood for the body. Don't know what yet. So far it's going to be teak for the body aswell, but I feel it's going to be a waste cause the body is going to be painted.

teak is not a good wood. Not at all.
Low sustain and from my experience is among the worst woods for a guitar(after toonwood that is). Its cheap but not worth it at any price
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
So now I'm pretty screwed cause I had my hopes up high on teak. Damn, know I really don't know what wood I'm going to use. Maybe I'll just save and buy rose wood. But please people, keep the sugestions and remarks comming in.

I have absolutly no experience in guitar building and really need as much help as I can get. I'm going to order the book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock.
Ok, so I've found a new possibillity wood type for my body. Will Canadian maple work? What kind of sound does it make?
Low sustain and from my experience is among the worst woods for a guitar(after toonwood that is). Its cheap but not worth it at any price

Will I be able to use teak as my neck wood, or should I rather use Canadian maple fot that too?
Quote by WantzChas
Ok, so I've found a new possibillity wood type for my body. Will Canadian maple work? What kind of sound does it make?

Will I be able to use teak as my neck wood, or should I rather use Canadian maple fot that too?

As a neck wood, maple is probably the best IMO.
Teak would work if your doing a bolt on since the sound is less governed by the neck wood, but I still wouldn't recomend it
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
tbh, i would deffinately not metalise such a beautiful design with horrid spikes and points lol
the first, original design you had is a beauty. the fender body works so well with the musicman head stock
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp
Thanks for the input. I am gong to customise the design some more. I'll know by monday for sure if I'm going to build it or not. Got to find out bout wood prices and guitar accesories prices like the truss rod etc. I'll post another pic of the "updated" design soon. Please keep the criticism and opinions coming in. I'm learning a lot.
Create a slightly more curved upper cutaway. It seems almost flat right now.
And its a set neck/through-neck I hope? Otherwise your neck won't have enough support.

Otherwise nice design.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Page 1 of 2