Page 1 of 4
As it says.

I'm in a mood to answer anything and everything you've ever wanted to know about being a professional musician in a medium sized, signed and touring band.

What I won't answer:

So, shoot.
    How do you make most of your money? I hear it is mainly off merch rather than ticket sales. true? My band will hopefully go on tour this coming summer. I don't know if you do the larger venues, but we mainly play the big bar venues. Any tips or suggestions before taking the show on the road?
    Quote by Deliriumbassist
    If you can't name what band you're in, or put up a version of that contract, clearly showing the clause, I call bullsh*t.

That's your perogative
    I believe that this is the perfect example of "pics or it didn't happen"
    R.I.P. M.C.A.
    Tweet at me bro
    lushacrous loves you
    Quote by blake1221
    Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
    Quote by Gunpowder
    that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
    What band are you in? How much f the takings to you get to keep?
    "It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
    do you have to open for, or have a band open for you that is on the same record label? Or does it matter?

do you get ticket sale money, or does the record label pay you?

how about hotels? are they covered, do you just tally up the total at the end of the tour and take it out of your pay?
    Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
    Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
    Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
    Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
    Is life on the road really as hard as people say it is? (moneywise etc.)
    Own a PS3?
    Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
    Quote by _ezekiel_
    As it says.

I'm in a mood to answer anything and everything you've ever wanted to know about being a professional musician in a medium sized, signed and touring band.

What I won't answer:

What band I am in (I'm sure you'll understand)

So, shoot.

Quote by GiantRaven
    What band are you in?

"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
    Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
    Quote by JackFlash19
    How do you make most of your money? I hear it is mainly off merch rather than ticket sales. true? My band will hopefully go on tour this coming summer. I don't know if you do the larger venues, but we mainly play the big bar venues. Any tips or suggestions before taking the show on the road?

Most of the money generated is from what you can sell at shows, the actual cost to produce t shirts, stickers, patches is very low in comparison to what you sell them on for. CD sales mainly feed back to the label who have invested money in the whole production cycle of it, think of them more as venture capitalists than supporters of music. It's worth remembering that on tour you have massive expenses that need covering.
    ur a noob....this is a perfect pics or it didnt happen moment...you havent answered anyones questions except for people that have asked you what band you're in..if you're gonna do a Q&A thread at least pay attention...
    what genre of music do you play, what bands have supported you/have you supported, what record label are you on
    Gear:
    Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
    Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
    Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
    Floor Pod (for sale)
    Quote by GiantRaven
    Those Synat lads are so awesome

I just don't know how they do it...

They're mother ****ing hardcore man
    Quote by ChaoticVengence
    what genre of music do you play, what bands have supported you/have you supported, what record label are you on

xD i see what you did there
    This guy's either totally faking it (which I'm 90% sure it is) or like John Frusciante. If it's the later, I'll hate myself forever.
    R.I.P. M.C.A.
    Tweet at me bro
    lushacrous loves you
    Quote by blake1221
    Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
    Quote by Gunpowder
    that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
    WHAT RECORD LABEL ARE YOU ON
    plz and thank you
    Gear:
    Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
    Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
    Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
    Floor Pod (for sale)
    heres the deal
    we here at the largest muscian community in the world call shenanigans on you
    Quote by WickedBeast666
    Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
    Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
    if you dont fill some of the blanks im gonna find a way to report you. or get this thread closed. so i suggest you spill.
    ehh
    Quote by phatsack
    do you have to open for, or have a band open for you that is on the same record label? Or does it matter?

do you get ticket sale money, or does the record label pay you?

how about hotels? are they covered, do you just tally up the total at the end of the tour and take it out of your pay?

This really depends on what scale of tour you want to do. Opening for larger bands is great but you barely make enough to cover expenses, but it's great for exposure.

You rely on having a manager who is clued up to make the decisions for you and this really does depend on the venues your playing at. More well known venues will shaft you, afterall you can either play there and play by their rules or you don't, it's as simple as that. You can negotiate with promotors, but more times than not you play into their hands.

Hotels, you're joking. We're not that big that we can write than into garentees. Most time on the road is spent in the van or if we have had a particulary good show and sold merch then a ****ty motel, you find a lot of people who come to shows have hearts of gold and will let you crash out at theirs, have a warm shower and maybe cook you some food.
    Quote by jakemac
    ur a noob....this is a perfect pics or it didnt happen moment...you havent answered anyones questions except for people that have asked you what band you're in..if you're gonna do a Q&A thread at least pay attention...

Quote by _ezekiel_
    Most of the money generated is from what you can sell at shows, the actual cost to produce t shirts, stickers, patches is very low in comparison to what you sell them on for. CD sales mainly feed back to the label who have invested money in the whole production cycle of it, think of them more as venture capitalists than supporters of music. It's worth remembering that on tour you have massive expenses that need covering.

EDIT^: Ooh look! He answered a question again! Who's the n00b now?
    You sound cleverrr...

you didn't by any chance pull this out of your school music text book in the "modern music" section?
    Quote by Child In Time
    Disapproving Bunny disapproves of your lack of info

sa
    equipment
    guitars:
    lefty fender tele standard ,
    lefty tanglewood electro-acoustic
    usa gibson flying v (flipped for lefty)
    castrol oil can single coil electric
    amp
    vox ad50vt
    pedals
    dunlop crybaby wah
    mxr blue box

go on ireland!
    Is it easier to play big or small venues (ie. clubs vs. stadiums)?
    Third out in the MOD contest '08.
    Quote by JamMan*
    Is it easier to play big or small venues (ie. clubs vs. stadiums)?

Never done the latter.

I think the biggest venue we have played in might be around 2000.
    Previous posts in other threads suggest he is serial about this.
    Either its all a well thought out ruse or he is for real here.

Here's an example:

The band I am in (which I choose to remain anonymous) is signed to a medium sized lable. We have all seen the effect that piracy is having on both our bands releases and the industry as a whole.
    Thanks.

That was posted a while ago so this is not just a one thread thing in any case.
    Own a PS3?
    Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
    Quote by fosho
    heres the deal
    we here at the largest muscian community in the world call shenanigans on you

Cool you do that.

I would have thought the largest musician community in the world might appreciate a look at how things work from the other side.
    I wouldn't say I'm in a band as big as you appear to be...although having said that my band have toured in America twice and should be playing a festival run in middle Europe this year, as well as the 'warm-up festival' to Glastonbury, called GlastOnBudget (lol).

Any freaky experiences with fans...you know the kind I'm sure...stalker types mainly.

Oh and what kind of gear have you had mysteriously go missing, if any...

I've had people try to steal my plectrums before...people don't realise how much it costs to keep a good amount of picks spare haha

Edit: And I'm not bull****ting, and not claiming my band are particularly big either lol. We have a (rather dead, atm) myspace which is in my sig as Disarm Goliath. I do sorta believe the threadstarter...or I want to atleast
    Last edited by last_biscuit at Nov 8, 2007,
    So i'm guessing the reason he doesnt want to name his band is because everyone here will let out a collective "Who?". From what i've read so far, your in a small band doing small shows in small venues. As you havent made it very far i think it seems a bit full of yourself to give people advice or information, as your just as likely as the next band to go nowhere. If you actually told people your band name they might actually believe this is coming from a credible source.

+1 on the shenanigans
    Page 1 of 4