Our school requires a graduation project to be completed by senior year in order to graduate. This is comprised of a portfolio, research paper, presentation, and a tangible product. I decided I'd build a guitar, write the paper about going through the process and finding the measurements, etc. The portfolio will include pictures and specific details, etc. And the presentation will be the final product.

Anyway, onto the good stuff. I have been thinking for the past few days about the kind of guitar I want to build. This is what I've come up with:

--Modeled after PRS Singlecut
--7 strings
--Bolt - on neck (maybe set), ebony fingerboard (carvin or warmoth)
--Mahogany body, flamed maple top (warmoth body blank)
--Piezo system (maybe)
--Pickup selector knob (as opposed to a switch)
--Emerald green paint
--Schaller Locking Tuners
--JP Tremolo (maybe PRS tremolo)
--Graphite nut
--Air Norton / D-Sonic pickups
--Black Hardware

Some things are subject to change, such as the pickups and hardware color.

Now, I've never worked with tools, but I'm generally a careful person. My dad and I are going to get some cheap wood and practice cutting and routing, etc. He knows a guy who does woodworking who might be able to hook us up with some free tools. Could anybody point me in the right direction of books, all tools, where to get measurements, things like that? I've been getting really excited about this project. Also, any approximate cost? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: new questions further down
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Nov 20, 2007,
that guitar sounds like it'll be very hard to build. if it's your first time doing it i'd definately leave out a few of those features. your school shouldn't expect you to do something that's so complex so why not go for a simpler design and perfect it? the more complex a guitar is the more there is to go wrong while building and after you've finished.
set necks can make your guitar sound like crap if they're not glued correctly. bolt on would be a more realistic option. the tremolo and the piezo aren't really necessary although they would be cool features. i like the idea of the pickup selector knob though. if you know how to do it go for it. the 7 strings wouldn't really be necessary either but if you're getting your parts from warmoth there's not much that could go wrong with that.

good luck with it, sorry i didn't answer your question.
Thats fine, any feedback is what I wanted. I wasn't sure whether i wanted a set neck or bolt on, but if the bolt on is easier I'll probably go for it. The piezo was a cool thought, and I wasn't sure if I was actually gonna put it in there. It's going to be a 7-string because my main guitar right now is a seven, and I incorporate it into most things. A 6-string (besides my strat) doesn't give me the same freedom anymore. Also, this isn't just for school. I've always wanted to build a really nice guitar, so I plan on being very careful with it. I still have over two years to finish this, and I hope to start sometime soon.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Nov 8, 2007,
Well this is gonna be pretty expensive and since you say you have little experience, I'd opt for easier-to-make and less expensive options, like a bolt-on neck (a good bolt-on will give you the same amount of sustain that any set-neck will give) and rosewood board, you may want to discount a piezo system, as it won't really be needed (piezos are mainly for people who don't want pickups crowding up the bodies ). I'll post more when I've had more time to think about it...
Alright. I changed from a set neck to a bolt - on, and probably won't do the Piezo pickup. I think I'm still going to be using an ebony fingerboard. Keep in mind I'm going to have help from a lot of people.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

very nice idea mate.
everyone seems to be putting you down on this it sounds awsome to me.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
ou had me at "Emerald Green"

If you buy stuff that makes it simple, like the pre-made neck, the warmoth body blank, you're already part way there, the rest is the cutting into shape, painting and screwing.
The electronics should be a doddle.
Alright, thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully this project will be a success. I will try to put progress up here as I go, when I start, as long as I'm not too busy trying to work on the entire project.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Sorry for double posting in my own thread, but I have a few new questions.

Thinking more about this project, is there a not-so-hard way of fitting this guitar with a 24 fret neck without altering the tone of the neck pickup a whole lot? Also, is there anything I can do to make the higher frets more accessible? Is there anything else I should know about fret accessibility or things relating to it? Thanks.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Nov 20, 2007,
^ You must mean the neck pickup.

Having 24 frets, thus making moving the neck pickup towards the bridge necessary, will make the neck pickup a little brighter.
You can improve the access to the 24th fret by making the lower cutaway deeper.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Oh yeah, I meant the neck pickup. Besides making the cutaway deeper, can I do anything to the back of the neck joint to also give it better access?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Wrong link? That's just a link to this thread.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Ah, thanks. Looks like I'll have to do a good bit of customizing the back of the body in order to get the features I want. Hopefully it won't be too stressful making the custom measurements.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Buy a seven string neck-through blank from carvin and some wood for th wings and you'll be set on the body. It should be easier than bolt on or a setneck, and look nicer to.
Wow, small world in the sense that i had to do a grad project EXACTLY like yours is planned out. I had to record the research, have a bibliography, sources, tangible product etc. I built the bass thats in my sig, and it turned out great i thought. In total it cost me $1300 because this was my first project. My dad wanted to experiment with all sorts of different woods and looks. We bought tools we've never herd of and jumped right in. We caught a huge break with that wood pattern (its spalted sycamore). We were even featured on the guys website who gave us the wood!

http://www.hardwoodsincorporated.com/photoGallery/detail.asp?rid=16&photoid=1756&curPage=&gid=6&fm=

I think the project your going to do is great. Seems like your pretty dedicated and are ready to jump in. The best thing that helped me out was using another bass as a template. I got all the dimensions and "stuff" from a Carvin my dad had laying around. The thing we didnt toy with, was the neck. We bought a neck and slapped it on (from Carvin). I think you should really try to build a body. It isnt as hard as it looks, and it gives you more brownie points when showing it. Also....building a neck-through shaves a little bit of time off. Im building 2 guitars now and i can already see more time is going into cutting a neck pocket than just gluing a neck in. If you click on that link for "my" bass, it will show you step by step how i made the channel in the center.

I used projectguitar.com, stew-mac, and a few people here on UG when i constructed mine. My dads friend also made a flying-v, so he gave me some links that were helpful as well.

Either way, i think this is going to be a great build. Have fun, and good luck!
alright, thanks for all the input guys. I should hopefully be starting not too long after Christmas.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile