The Cube 15x is a horrible abomination of the Cube series with no amp modeling nor effects.

Microcube or 30x.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Is the microcube that much better? I assumed it was just a cheaper amp with some portability slapped on.
The 15x has no effects nor amp modeling.

The microcube is portable, has effects *and* amp modeling.

I have a Cube 15. Don't buy it.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
using an FX processor thing is a great idea for practise. i used to do so aswell, before i broke the plug...
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Good enough advice How does the microcube rate to a processor for sound quality though? I don't really care that they don't make sound, headphones are just as easy.
Quote by rymep
I'm looking for something cheap to practice with, I don't want or need anything loud, so I was looking at small amps like the Roland Cube 15X. For even cheaper though I could get a multi-effect processor like the digitech rp150 or the behringer xvamp floor unit

Are any of those a good option for a cheap practice tool?

Microcube is a great idea.

By the way, the place where I teach guitar uses Digitech RP pedals and the more I use them, the more I feel that of the tons of different sounds in there, there are only a very, very, few that can be deemed useful.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Do you already have an amp other than a practice one?

The Microcube and 30x are great amps, and you could do fine with either for practicing (Microcube's portability is a definite plus) AND you can still be heard if you decide you want to be heard.

Units like the RP150 are even more flexible in terms of tone and effects, except you'll need to plug it into a computer and record what you're doing, if you want anyone else to hear what you're playing. I suppose you could do with plugging in a couple small speakers into the headphone port, but I doubt that would sound all that great.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Stay away from the Cube15!!! I had one and it SUCKED!!!

If you're going for a practice amp, save and get an Epiphone Valve Junior, and a overdrive/distortion pedal if you need more gain.

As for the MultiEffects, check out the Line6 Toneport - one of the few good things that Line6 make haha
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I do have an amp, but it's a 200w bass stack, so not the best for quietly practicing guitar.
What about the Line 6 Pocket Pod?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
What about the Line 6 Pocket Pod?

More money than I'm looking to spend and the AC adapter costs extra.
when its very late and i cant play at all through an amp..i se my line6 pod xt live, and my aweosme sennhieser headphones.
Quote by rymep
More money than I'm looking to spend and the AC adapter costs extra.

I guess that the Roland Cube 30X is not an option too. Go for the Microcube, the portability feature make them "reusable" even if you got later a better amp.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I'll probably go for a Microcube. I plan on getting a low-end tube amp like a Epi valve jr or Fender blues jr eventually, but I've only been playing guitar a few weeks, so I'm still looking for something small and cheap for now.