So I play a Gibson LP Studio. I need some new strings soon. I normally use 11's. Lately though I've been wanting to change, as bending has begun to hurt my fingers even though i have very calloused finger tips. So would nine's work?
Yeah, but they will feel pretty slack due to the short scale. Les Pauls generally come set up with 10s, and these feel pretty similar to 9s on a Strat, so give those a go first. And I know what you mean about bending starting to hurt - I used to use 12s on my electric for a period of time, and that became to painful to be worth it.
You would probably have to set the intonation and action again. Why not just go for 10s?
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
yeah I could try 10's. I was just thinking that 9's would be easier, but if 10's on a LP feel like 9's on a strat those'll be fine. thanks for the speedy replies.
NO the world will implode if you put 9s on a les paul.

you could use 8s if you really wanted, it's going to be slack but it's not going to bugger up your playing or the guitar or anything. I used 9s for ages on my les paul, then changed to 13s in standard tuning >.<
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^ Oh, yeah, that's certainly possible, too. Tony Iommi used 8s on his SG and tuned down to something like C#, so, yeah...
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
NO the world will implode if you put 9s on a les paul.

you could use 8s if you really wanted, it's going to be slack but it's not going to bugger up your playing or the guitar or anything. I used 9s for ages on my les paul, then changed to 13s in standard tuning >.<

did you have to fix your intonation or anything with hte 9's? If so, how do you do that?
lol, i began using 9's cus all my friends told me to use them... then eventually when i understood more about guitars i went to 11-49's. its so much better cus i can actually feel the strings rather than them being invisible.

if anything i'd recommend going no lower than 10.
ya my uncle owns a les paul custom plus from 1975 and he uses like 8's or 9's on them and you can get a sweet chug off them and there not soo thin you cant feel them but i do find if you are bending hard enough to hurt your finger moving to 9's.....you will break all your strings the best thing to do is just stay with the 10's and just get over it
well I took my guitar in to get a different problem fixed, and they said they could keep it over night and put new strings on, fix the intonation, etc. So even if 9's do mess up the intonation, they'll have it fixed.
Quote by Denthúl
^ Oh, yeah, that's certainly possible, too. Tony Iommi used 8s on his SG and tuned down to something like C#, so, yeah...

Tony also doesnt have a few fingertips, he did that because he had too, I seriously doubt this kid has the same problem :P
^ lost it the day before black sabbath were about to go into the studio or something. how crud would that be lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I doubt 9s won'tscrew with intonation. I went from .10s to 9.s on it w/o adjustment*. I had 9s on my Washburn Dime (was Gibson scale) and I liked the slinky feel. I was able to get all sorts of crazy harmonics and big bends with it.

*It needed adjustment anyway, as its intonation and action was screwy with .10s anyway, so I put .9s on and the screwyness did not change
Quote by Gutch220
I use 9's on my LP

yah, me too - slack but super smooth playing - kills my strat for playing feel - Page used banjo (8's) strings on his L.P and like people have said, Iommi used 8's on SG's - they do work well - give it a go!
i wouldn't say 10's on a LP feel like 9's on a strat... but they do feel slacker than 10's on a strat-sized scale. I feel noticeably more macho on my 25.5" guitar strung with 9's than on my edwards LP (which as far as I'm aware has 10's), but from memory it doesn't feel as stiff as a 25.5" guitar with 10's.

up to you, really. if you want slightly easier bending, go with 10's... if you want a lot easier bending, go with 9's. EDIT: or how about a hybrid set?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by davedoom
yah, me too - slack but super smooth playing - kills my strat for playing feel - Page used banjo (8's) strings on his L.P and like people have said, Iommi used 8's on SG's - they do work well - give it a go!

iommi also had his guitar tuned down 1 and a half steps or something. he also had part of a finger missing so it made playing heavier strings difficult.

i dunno wat page's reason was... i thought he would have used fairly heavy strings... maybe hes a bitch :p
^he's magical - i dont understand how the hell he got that sound (i.e HTWWW) with cranked plexi's and lightish strings, no down tuning - almost sounds like metal

then again, Zep just seemed to have a sound out of 4 people that sounded bigger than 4bands together
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ lost it the day before black sabbath were about to go into the studio or something. how crud would that be lol

He lost it in a metal shop accident when he was working in a factory.

I have the same condition, except mine were burnt off.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra