and stuff like satriani and classic stuff like canon Rock and Eruption, van Halen. But I also want Pantera adn the like. 200USD$ Budget.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
uhh for 200 bucks i dunno.. you might like a b-52 but theyre more expensive.. maybe a cheaper randall?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
I'd suggest saving up more money...

But barring that, either a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix-XL.

What gear do you have now?

Are you going to be gigging anytime soon?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Vox AD30XL. good amp, and more gain than a normal AD30VT. If u can find one, go for it.
Icurrently have a Roland -MicroCube and Peavey Predator Plus. I think I'm going to get a Jackson DKM2 Dinky and either a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8, or whatever is suggested here. I only have 800 bucks....

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

i'd suggest saving your money, might aswell wait until you can get an amp you'll be happy with for years to come!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
SAVE. you aren't going to need anything special for practicing. When the time comes for you to play in front of people then you will have plenty saved for some good gear.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
I'm really unhappy with my current sound though. And the guitar is a POS.

How much should I save up? and for what?

Quote by Pinky19
I only have 800 bucks....

Then why in God's name are you spending only $200 on an amp?

I'd spend at least half your budget on the amp; most likely more.

The amp is way more important than your guitar.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Sorry about this, but... What are you crazy?! Spend at least $500 of that $800 on the amp and then save a little more for a new guitar. 90% percent of what you sound like is from your amp.
FACT: Nice guitar through crap amp=crap sound. Crap guitar through nice amp=very nice sound.
Sorry, but I just get so frustrated when people do stuff like this. If I were I would spend all $800 dollars an a new amp. And there's no nice way to say this, but just deal with your "POS" guitar and spend $800 on a new amp. And a $200 dollar amp won't be anything special, probably a small, practice amp.
*sigh*

Edit:
Quote by easthatred
Save for a Stack

And please, please don't listen to this guy. You can get a really nice, all-tube combo new or used for even $600.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
Then why in God's name are you spending only $200 on an amp?

I'd spend at least half your budget on the amp; most likely more.

The amp is way more important than your guitar.

+1
A $120 Yamaha Pacifica guitar through a $600 amp will sound a sh!tload better than a $600 guitar through a $200 amp. Van Halen's first real guitar was a cheap, home made POS, but what an amp...
Edit: Yeah Kosmic's idea is even better. Spend ALL the dough on an amp, & continue playing the POS guitar. It'll probably sound so good, you won't care that you have to save again for a new guitar.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by easthatred
Save for a Stack

Save for a STFU

You'll need a fair bit more money for a decent metal amp.

EDIT: Didn't read the rest of the thread

Guys, If he's looking at a new guitar as well, due to his old one being almost unplayable, then, I'd say that guitar is more important, therefore go for the Roland Cube

If he's exaggerating about the guitar, then go for a used 6505 combo
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by mcw00t
Save for a STFU

You'll need a fair bit more money for a decent metal amp.

EDIT: Didn't read the rest of the thread

Guys, If he's looking at a new guitar as well, due to his old one being almost unplayable, then, I'd say that guitar is more important, therefore go for the Roland Cube

If he's exaggerating about the guitar, then go for a used 6505 combo

Can I sig just that part?
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I'm so glad I came here after all! I know amp gives you most of the sound, but I thought the Royal 8 would have been good enough. I think I might try and get the Floyd Rose version of what I have, for like 50$ more, and a nice amp. There is one problem though: METAL ISN'T MY ONLY GENRE!!! I'm gonna play classic rock just as much as metal. I will prolly join a metal band when I get good enough though. Right now, I suck and it will be a practice amp. So it will have to go low and handle Classic Rock and Pantera-esque metal. So what is a good amp for that? I'm afraid these amps will all be geared towards metal to much to be good for classic rock =(

EDIT: Can someone tell me what FX Loop, Footswitch, and Bright Switch all are?

Last edited by Pinky19 at Nov 9, 2007,
well?

A footswitch is a pedal that allows you to change things like channels, reverb, etc...

An fx loop allows you to put pedals after the preamp, so the pedals are affecting the amp's tone instead of the amp affecting the pedal's tone.

The bright switch raises the treble.

A used Marshall JCM800 or something similar may work for you.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
A footswitch is a pedal that allows you to change things like channels, reverb, etc...

An fx loop allows you to put pedals after the preamp, so the pedals are affecting the amp's tone instead of the amp affecting the pedal's tone.

The bright switch raises the treble.

A used Marshall JCM800 or something similar may work for you.

Thanks man. Everytime I come here, I like it more and more. Then I go in the pit

EDIT: !?!?!?!?!?! JCM 800 new is 2 GRAND!!!! I don't think they are gonna be that much cheaper used. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, and btw: What is the difference between an amp head, combo amp, and amp cabinets?

Last edited by Pinky19 at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by Pinky19
Thanks man. Everytime I come here, I like it more and more. Then I go in the pit

EDIT: !?!?!?!?!?! JCM 800 new is 2 GRAND!!!! I don't think they are gonna be that much cheaper used. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, and btw: What is the difference between an amp head, combo amp, and amp cabinets?

That's why I don't venture into the pit.

A head is a preamp and a power amp.

A cabinet is an enclosure with (a) speaker(s).

A combo is a preamp, a power amp, and speaker(s).

Just look at ebay for older JCM800s.
Quote by utsapp89
would I need a cabinet, then? Or what? I guess I really don't know alot =( Cuz I have no idea what a pre amp or power amp is. I think preamp is were you get tone, and poweramp is were you get volume, right?

Quote by Pinky19
would I need a cabinet, then? Or what? I guess I really don't know alot =( Cuz I have no idea what a pre amp or power amp is. I think preamp is were you get tone, and poweramp is were you get volume, right?

Basically.

You can't use a head without a cabinet.

A combo can just work by itself.
Quote by utsapp89
so, head+cabinet, or combo. Thanks so much man.