I'm gonna save up for a nice head. I wanna spend 1500 bucks or a little more. Whats better in that price range for both respective companies?
High gainy stuff. I stick to thrash and the like, but I I love playing blues and crap too. My big bands would be the bay area thrashers, Maiden, Iced Earth, stuff like that.
They're pretty differently voiced. As stated above ENGL's are brighter and Mesa's tend to be darker.

Maybe look in the 6505, 5150, JSX, XXX, Genz Benz El Diablo, Rivera...

There ARE other brands than those 2, although they do make fine amps. Make sure to do your homework before you commit to buying it.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Yeah, I don't even have the money yet. I'm doing my homework waaaaaaaaay in advance. I'm checking out my drummer's 5150 soon.
Since you're in the 'States, a Mesa would be more cost-effective. You could a used Mark IV for about $1,000.

I really liked the ENGL Fireball, too, though. Go try 'em both. The Mark IV is a helluva tweaker's amp, though. You can't really just sit down and expect to get insane tone.
LOl

Its really weird that mesa/boogies are so cheap in the US..
A fireball would only cost you €700 if you were to live in europe

But a mark IV would be almost 2.5 grand..

(off ebay or similair sites )
When I was getting an amp I tried an ENGL and a Mesa next to eachother. I found that the mesa had a smoother tone with more low end while the ENGL had a more fendery tone which was a bit harder (the mesa was a bit woolly). I ended up getting the ENGL because the Mesa isn't really as versatile.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Since you're in North America you'll probably get more bang for buck with Mesa (especially when you factor in the current exchange rates) but ENGL's really are superb. My Screamer Combo sounds fantastic and I would sell my grandmother for a Powerball. Given that a Powerball will set you back a good $2000 for the head alone, your best bet might be to go for a Screamer or Fireball head in the $1,200 to 1,300 range if you're dead set on an ENGL. If you don't already have a cab... well, might be best to look at Mesa regardless.
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Quote by xifr
When I was getting an amp I tried an ENGL and a Mesa next to eachother. I found that the mesa had a smoother tone with more low end while the ENGL had a more fendery tone which was a bit harder (the mesa was a bit woolly). I ended up getting the ENGL because the Mesa isn't really as versatile.

I think that really depends on the amp? A fireball isn't what i'd call versatile.. Even though it has a large amount of sounds
never tryed a mesa....but i own a fireball and it cant get any better!
destortion is so great and the clean tone are brilliant for a tube amp

if you are looking for a more versatile amp i would recommend the Engl blackmore
you can play every metal-style on it but also blues and crap...
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
ENGL... Though every ENGL amp has a unique voicing. Overall they tend to be a little more brighter (which is great for the cleans and lead sound).
Quote by ever dying
I think that really depends on the amp? A fireball isn't what i'd call versatile.. Even though it has a large amount of sounds

Well I played a screamer and sovereign so yeah. But I wasn't looking for the most brutalz tone .
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
A screamer with a boost is awesome for Thrash tones it hits that Megadeth tone perfect. If you want it a bit mroe saturated get a fireball for more versatility get a Blackmore.

All are amazing heads and all can be purchased used for under 1200, the Screamer and Fireball can be bought new for less than 1300. Though the Blackmore is about 1700 new but about 1300 used
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Where is a good place to get ENGL's used? They're hard to come by here in the States. Ebay International?
Ebay is the only place to find some used.

Go to google and type in rebel amps or Rock solid amps both are ENGL dealers and both are awesome dudes they sometimes have used gear but not always go totheir sites shoot them an email and see what they can do for each you
Quote by ever dying
LOl

A fireball would only cost you €700 if you were to live in europe

(off ebay or similair sites )

where do you get a fireball for €700? I want to buy one but they cost €995 EVERYWHERE if not even more...
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
to me it breaks down to two things:

value (in which case, if in europe, the engl is a lot better value, while in the USA, the mesa is a lot better value)

and

tone (as already said, they have quite a different tone, and there's a good chance you might prefer one or the other).

if you prefer the tone of the mesa, but you're in europe, say, you might have to bite the bullet and get it- but there are probably other more cost-effective amps which will get a similar (if not better) tone too, which'd be worth looking into. Ditto for engl in the states.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they both have their own unique voicings - engl bright, mesa dark is the main thing that separates - but both can be equally as good

engl, much better value though, thats for sure - mesa is overpriced, even in US
i dunno- i mean, in the US, you could pick up a mark IV for a similar amount to a powerball...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just did an a/b with a dual rec and a fireball actually. mesa had more balls less gain, engl had less balls more gain (&more metals). as far as worth more for the price engls all the way (if your buying new) mesas are soo over priced, what a new dual rec now like 1800? ridiculous. my fireball was 1375 ithink
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno- i mean, in the US, you could pick up a mark IV for a similar amount to a powerball...

Well i can get a Blackmore used for the same price as a Mark IV here in the states and i prefer the Blackmores tone much more than the Mesas so it all comes to preference so you can get a good amp from either company for the same price here in the states
Quote by Syn Harvest
Well i can get a Blackmore used for the same price as a Mark IV here in the states and i prefer the Blackmores tone much more than the Mesas so it all comes to preference so you can get a good amp from either company for the same price here in the states

That might be true but for most people a Mark Series Mesa will end their amp hunt, or will find a permanant place in their rig.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ive been researching the same amps for the same style of music.
my opinion is the Fireball.
but if you can save the money, I recently played a Diezel Herbert and I think it is the best amp ever.

check out this vid on youtube @ 5:15 into the vid for the tone I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivcAA1uozvI
I was reading some good things about the 2 channel triple recs of the mid 90's. They're hand wiredl, and supposedly much better.
The ENGL Blackmore is suppose to be a pretty versatile amp, and from the clips i've heard of it, would definitely handle your style (and a helluva lot more)
Quote by Syn Harvest

agreed, it certainly is preference when it comes to the tone- i just mean if you like both equally, value will undoubtedly play a part in your decision.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a used Mark IV....its much more versatile than a powerball or fireball.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.