Hey,
Im lookin for some tones that are similar to The Vines or Built to Spill-ish. Something with medium gain and high mids I am thinking. I have a mexi-strat and a fender blues jr. amp. I'm lookin at the Boss DS-1, do you think I can get tones like that from this pedal? Any other suggestions?
Or maybe an overdrive pedal? I kinda like my amps distortion tones, I just think they need a boost. Sorry, I'm new to this stuff, go easy on me.
Ya, its a Fender Blues Jr. Tube Amp. It doesn't have an OD channel, it just gets some distortion when you turn the Volume up and the Master down.
ya if your getting a blues junior i would say walk into a store and ask for exactly what you just said or devote a weekend to look for one
That "Volume" control is actually your preamp volume. If you run the Master volume loud enough, it'll distort the power section of the amp, too...That sounds a lot better.

Then again, it may be deafening by the time it gets there.

I wouldn't recommend a distortion pedal. You probably want something that won't change the tonal character of your amp that much...An OD will often be more transparent than a distortion pedal.

What's your budget?
How loud will you be playing it? The best thing to do is just crank it up, but an overdrive pedal will help you greatly. Consider a Fulltone OCD or a Tubescreamer.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
How loud will you be playing it? The best thing to do is just crank it up, but an overdrive pedal will help you greatly. Consider a Fulltone OCD or a Tubescreamer.

Well, an OD pedal creates clipping of its own, it doesn't push it into power tube distortion.
You'd want a boost pedal to really push it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, an OD pedal creates clipping of its own, it doesn't push it into power tube distortion.
You'd want a boost pedal to really push it.

Depending on the OD pedal sometimes they'll do as much dB boost as a dedicated booster. Neither of which will push it into power tube saturation without the master up high. The benefit of an OD pedal is that it can add its own distortion for heavier sounds at lower volumes.

Both would work. It just depends on how high you'll be playing it.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
contrary to what everyone says here, id say a distortion pedal would be okay. before that, i suggest you get that speaker out. grab something like an emi governor and do a swap.
Quote by SRVStrat808
Depending on the OD pedal sometimes they'll do as much dB boost as a dedicated booster. Neither of which will push it into power tube saturation without the master up high. The benefit of an OD pedal is that it can add its own distortion for heavier sounds at lower volumes.

Both would work. It just depends on how high you'll be playing it.

Right, the master would need to be up high. Should've put that there. But I just said a boost because a boost doesn't give its own clipping, where as an OD pedal does - and I didn't want the TS to think THAT distortion was power tube distortion.
I'd probably be playing it at lower volumes since I'm in a college dorm and am not involved in a band right now. My budget is probably less than $100, i'm just lookin for something to get me started but will still get some good tones. And i'm not really sure what a "boost" is, is that a different kind of pedal?
A boost boosts your signal, basically.

I have two Built To Spill albums..Perfect From Now On and Keep it Like a Secret - From those two albums...Which one would be a good example of the distortion you're looking for?
I was listening to...Sidewalk, and it was a kinda fuzzy tone, which could be achieved with an Electro-Harmonic Big Muff Pi.
Is there something else you had in mind?
Ya i think i like that fuzzy type of tone...do you have the song "conventional wisdom"? I really want the tone that the lead plays in that one. It kinda sounds fuzzy, but with a lot of mid i think. Also, i went on musicians friend and listened to the samples they had of the big muff and they were all pretty heavy...i don't really want something that heavy, more of a fuzzy, light kinda tone.
+1 to the Big Muff, and try a Bad Monkey too. I run my VJ with both in the chain (usually just boosting with the Monkey or fuzzing with the Muff), but there are some nutty sounds to be found by cascading an OD into a Muff.
^^Gotcha. The sound of a silicon fuzz face is a bit harsher than the Big Muff.

If you could find a GOOD germanium Fuzz Face clone, that would do it. The Dallas Arbiter ones that are out now are terrible.
Maybe try out this one?
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-42.php
http://www.bajatechcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=63

It's over your budget, but it's a good one..