I'm currently practicing on a 25-watt SS Crate amp through a cheap generic "death metal distortion pedal." With the volume on the amp at only one fourth, and the pedal only at one eighth, I hear very painful high-pitched feedback when I'm not playing the guitar. This is with the Lows at 9, Mids around 7-8, and Highs at 8. This is the setting I like playing at though, and there is just too much noisy feedback to do so though...at least when playing at a loud volume.

Three things...

1. Both the pedal and I are very close to the amp when playing...does this affect the feedback?
2. If I had a better amp with higher wattage, would this not happen?
3. Or is it possibly my guitar or pedal? I'm playing a 1972 Gibson SG Custom through some really cheap pedal that just says "Death Metal Distortion."
Move away from your amp.

...you have one of the most lopsided setups I've ever seen

EDIT: The cheap pedal probably doesn't help; what gain settings do you have it at?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 8, 2007,
Haha alright. So move away from amp...and what makes my setup so lopsided? Sort of a joke but sort of serious. I know my amp sucks and stuff, but I'm not extremely knowledgeable about that kind of stuff.

Here are some pictures of my current setup. Don't laugh though because I paid nothing for all this stuff...except a couple hundred bucks for the amp a long time ago. Guitar was my dad's a long time ago, and pedal I got from a friend.

Sorry for the bad quality; I used my phone camera. Also, I know the pedal is really cheesy and lame...but it's all I have.
You have a really good guitar.

Not so great amp and pedal .

Definitely try standing away from your amp and see what happens.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Haha alright. Yeah it is a pretty nice guitar, but I recently bought an ESP LTD Alexi-600 SE (limited pink edition) merely because I wanted 24 frets, a floyd rose, and I think Rhoads-shaped guitars are dead sexy. And it suits my metal style more.

Plus...I can finally give my dad back his guitar. It's not fair to keep his SG away from him.