I'm installing new pickups in my SG. Everything is loaded in the guitar but I can't get the solder to stick to the componentry no matter the length of time I heat it. I have the proper solder but my gun is not getting hot enough to melt the solder at it's tip. Should I get a new gun? It"s getting alittle messy (I've been careful though). Should I take to the shop to have it finished?
You shouldn't use the very tip of the solder gun because it just isn't hot enough. Try putting the solder a little higher up on the gun tip where there is some surface area. If it still doesn't work, get your soldering gun fixed.
Or get a new on,e they cost about a fiver. The wire costs more.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Also, the solder doesn't melt instantly, you have to keep it there for several seconds. One trick you can do is, if the tip is adjustable, move it toward the body of the gun and it'll heat up quicker/more.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Get some flux. It helps melt the solder a bit and helps it to spread on the area you are soldering. As the flux heats up it also helps to clean any oxidization or impurities in the area, resulting in a better connection. Also, get a sponge or even a paper towel. When the soldering iron heats up, rub the tip of it on a WET (Or even damp) sponge or paper towel.

Edit:
Also, when using flux (some solder also has flux in the center of the wire), get some rubbing alcohol and clean things up a bit. Use small stiff brush. Some types of flux can cause damage and cause corrosion to build up after time.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 8, 2007,
Don't use an old soldering iron, it will blow up on you.

This, I learned the hard way...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CodeMonk
Get some flux. It helps melt the solder a bit and helps it to spread on the area you are soldering. As the flux heats up it also helps to clean any oxidization or impurities in the area, resulting in a better connection. Also, get a sponge or even a paper towel. When the soldering iron heats up, rub the tip of it on a WET (Or even damp) sponge or paper towel.

Doesn't solder already have flux in it?
I once grabbed hold a soldering iron by the hot bit. Even tho i knew it was hot, and even as my hand moved towards it, I knew it would burn a lot. It did.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
you're doing it wrong, the proper way to solder is to heat up the components. What you're probably doing is moving the circuitry. What you want is for the solder to be smooth and shiny!

Touch the tip of the iron to the board and the wire to bring them to the proper temperature to melt the solder, then touch the solder to the components.

Here's a Simple Guide on Soldering
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
Doesn't solder already have flux in it?

Alot of it does. But depending on the condition of whatever is being soldered (Excessive corrosion etc.) it may not contain enough flux to clean things up.
Also consider the size of the soldering tip. To small and the heat from the soldering iron may be leeched from it. Especially if you are soldering the base of the Potentiometer (The volume and tone knobs). Thats a large metal surface area and will require a larger tip to quickly heat things up. If it takes much more than 5 seconds to melt the solder on any part, the iron either isn't getting hot enough or the tip is to small. 2 - 3 seconds is better.
And the wet sponge\paper towel bit is to clean off the tip of the iron, giving a far better heat transfer.
flux is the stuff in the little tin right? I just call it solder grease
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by Brandon860
flux is the stuff in the little tin right? I just call it solder grease

Sometimes it is called solder grease. Dipping the tip of a hot iron works well to clean the tip up as well.

Quote by NudistNate!
you're doing it wrong, the proper way to solder is to heat up the components. What you're probably doing is moving the circuitry. What you want is for the solder to be smooth and shiny!

Touch the tip of the iron to the board and the wire to bring them to the proper temperature to melt the solder, then touch the solder to the components.

Here's a Simple Guide on Soldering

Didn't read the link, but ideally, you should be able to place the iron on whatever you are soldering for about 2 - 3 seconds and then feed the solder in. The tip of the iron should be making contact with both of the parts that are being soldered.
A very tiny dab of melted solder on the tip of the iron speeds this up greatly.

BTW, I have alot of experience soldering (NASA, various military contrators etc.) since around 1980.
NASA required you to complete a 2 week class in soldering before they would let you solder for them.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by Velvet_Craig
I once grabbed hold a soldering iron by the hot bit. Even tho i knew it was hot, and even as my hand moved towards it, I knew it would burn a lot. It did.

OOhh yea done that a few times
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender