about a month ago i decided to learn how to improvise better, play cleaner, and faster on guitar. Everything was going well for about a week but then this laziness came across me and i stopped. I tried to discipline myself to do it again but i wont do it for some odd reason.Even now i do not want to pick up my guitar to at least play something i know. This problem is slowly leaking its way toward my sax playing too. I do not want this to happen also on sax because i love playing my tenor and i do not want to lose my improvising skills like i did on guitar. I need some help that will at least inspire me to keep on playing both instruments and make me practice at least everyday for guitar. If you have had this problem and have fixed it i would greatly appreciate you telling me what to do cause i do not want to lose or forget everything that i have accoplished
I never had the problem, but i improvise alot, even on my mp3's, but the thing to do is know the scale that you're playing in, and have a good feeling of which notes fall in that scale or not, maybe go up and down it for 10 minutes and then move around and add some rhythm.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, i'm definitely not the best improviser, especially when we talk rhythm...
Last edited by tjbhdeath squad at Nov 8, 2007,
find some good music with amazing guitars/sax and use that to get back into guitar. just spend like half an hour looking on the web for new stuff or something
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
find some good music with amazing guitars/sax and use that to get back into guitar. just spend like half an hour looking on the web for new stuff or something

I agree, find new material, maybe a bit above your level, so you can set a goal for yourself. I know the laziness, and I also got out of it. All you need is a new goal :P
Well i found a new goal and that is to at least jam/make a band with people seeing as I jammed with some people one day when my band teacher wasn't there. Bad thing about this is that I do not know anyone who plays guitar,bass,drums and if i do they are already in bands.That got me back into playing but now I have to see what will make me go back to learning shred cleanly and improvising better.

For Sax my motivation now is making the top concert band for next year and the top jazz band next year. Also jazz Combos at school because there is about only one slot for 2 jazz combos at my school so i have to practice practice practice.

If you would like to give me some more advice that would be greatly appreciated