Page 1 of 3
Right, there's been loads in the media and stuff about screamo etc being a bad influence on people, making them want to go kill other people etc etc.

Despite the fact that pretty much all rap/r&b.....let's face it chav music (it had to be said) is about going out and shooting people and then getting high afterwards.

And also that most crap music as mentioned above (50 cent, Justin Timberlake etc) is SO awful that it makes me want to kill the bastards who make it, just to get them to shut the f*ck up!!!

What's everyone else's opinions on this?

xXx
Well, whatever music influences people to behave in a way that causes suffering to others. And your thoughts on Rap are invalid conclusions of stupidity.
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
People just use music as a scapegoat whenever something bad happens.
+1/ FTW/ /thread
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by starcaster13
rap sucks, it makes people do bad things, it's not even music.

this post is causing me to think of doing bad things

Jack my swag
Quote by starcaster13
rap sucks, it makes people do bad things, it's not even music.
I hope you're joking, because that statement has absolutly no logic whatsoever to back it up. Generalizations can never come to valid conclusions, and it was a moron who told you Rap is not music.
I dunno about Rap tbh...I hate it...But it's not the music it's the image of the rappers.

Now Fall Out Boy and MCR make me want to mutilate a small puppy or young baby using cheesewire then smearing it on something whilst uttering a cry of terror.
Quote by The Madcap
Well, whatever music influences people to behave in a way that causes suffering to others. And your thoughts on Rap are invalid conclusions of stupidity.

Alright I should have phrased that better:
In my opinion, rap is awful and from what I've heard of it, it all seems to be filled with meaningless violence.

Haha, this really is going to turn into a massive flamefest, as said above.

Can't wait lol

By the way, if it sounds like I'm trying to single ut groups and music and stuff, I'm not. I just generally want to see what other people think of this whilst slipping my opinions in

Peace

xXx
A lot of pop (not all of it) for influencing American Youth in such a way that young america feels the need to be a certain way (pretty, thin, rebellious, slutty, anti-whatever)

Although there's some good pop. And there are other forms of music that do the same thing.
The Pit. The Movie.
This is retarted.

1. There is plenty of good rap that's not 50 cent
2. Let people listen to whatever music they want
3. Music does not influence violence. period
1968 - 1996

Remember... Everything.
I personally think music can only be an influence if you make it one.

To explain, music can't really make you want to kill someone, unless you listen to it and think that because it sounds "angry" that you HAVE to kill someone.

I'm sorry if that confuses you, I'm having trouble converting my thought into words.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Some might agree that this wave of talentless hardcore music is a terrible influence on music itself, but i disagree. If anything, when you approach an ignorant, girl jean wearing hardcore loser, and wip-out a simple 3-string Dm arpeggio, they **** their pants and think you'r god. Makes me feel good

I may just be contradicting myself, but it just came to mind that this terrible music is actually influencing people to be retarded. Personally I though the boy-band phase was better for society.
Quote by realpaintheory
Alright I should have phrased that better:
In my opinion, rap is awful and from what I've heard of it, it all seems to be filled with meaningless violence.
Well, that last part is wrong and an invalid conclusion, therefore illogical. I personally try to avoid anything illogical.
religious music definitely. more specifically protestant/christian.
and all mainstream pop. esp. disney sponsored brain wash garbage.

they turn our children into zombies.
It all depends on the person listening to the music. If they're week-minded in the first place, their bound to be more easily influanced by the media.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Rap isnt to blame its ****ty music like emo/screamo those genres make people want 2 slit their throats lol(mainly because theyr so bad)
+ =
I hate it when people are dumb enough to call bands that scream "screamo"! There is no such genre!!!! No band calls themselve "screamo" Your either thinking of hardcore or metalcore.
Quote by rockguitarist97
This is retarted.

1. There is plenty of good rap that's not 50 cent
2. Let people listen to whatever music they want
3. Music does not influence violence. period

1. I didn't say all rap was 50 cent, i used him as an example.
2. I'm not stopping anyone from listening to music.
3. All I said was that it's been in the media a lot, and if it is going to be called an influence, as it invariably will be, then which is MORE influential towards violence.

God, picky, picky, picky.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
religious music definitely. more specifically protestant/christian.
and all mainstream pop. esp. disney sponsored brain wash garbage.

they turn our children into zombies.
Christianity does not make children turn into people who are dead, but still have many characteristics of living people, although lacking the main characteristics. It's merely glorifying an opinion, and I really don't think there is anything wrong with having an opinion on theological matters unless the opinion comes at the expense of others.
Quote by realpaintheory
1. I didn't say all rap was 50 cent, i used him as an example.
2. I'm not stopping anyone from listening to music.
3. All I said was that it's been in the media a lot, and if it is going to be called an influence, as it invariably will be, then which is MORE influential towards violence.

God, picky, picky, picky.

Point taken, I retract my post
1968 - 1996

Remember... Everything.
Quote by Gregray88
I hate it when people are dumb enough to call bands that scream "screamo"! There is no such genre!!!! No band calls themselve "screamo" Your either thinking of hardcore or metalcore.

No I've heard people call their bands screamo.
Quote by The Madcap
Well, that last part is wrong and an invalid conclusion, therefore illogical. I personally try to avoid anything illogical.

That is because you are a moron

If everyone avoided "illogical" thinking, we would be a lot less advanced than we are now as a species. It's people who walk to opposite way to that of the crowd with their eyes closed who end up making a difference.
I'm not saying that because I made some "illogical" remark I'm going to make a difference etc.
Just saying that people who don't think outside the box are generally a bit narrow-minded
Quote by War-Ensemble
Rap isnt to blame its ****ty music like emo/screamo those genres make people want 2 slit their throats lol(mainly because theyr so bad)

the ironic thing is that all these "emo" (in quotes because they are nowhere near emo) bands such as fob, mcr, etc usually send absolutely no message of suicide or hating their own life. ill admit that there are hints of small depression in some of the lyrics, but other than that its just about life.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by The Madcap
Along with video games.

+1 to you, and the guy you were quoting about music. Like all those stupid moms bitching about GTA. It's so stupid. If your kid goes on a rampage with a shotgun at school, can you at LEAST admit that your a failure as a parent? Seriously, don't go blaming a video game and trying to get it shut down just because you were too busy getting drunk instead of raising little johnny.
And this reminds me of that hair metal band in the 80's getting sued because some kid commited suicide while listening to their record. The mom said when you played it backwards it sounded like "die die die" or something. God people are stupid. Everything has to be someone else's fault. Honestly what a crappy parent. Did she really think her kid would have wanted his suicide turned into a huge trial that was shown on TV?
Selfish stubborn people suck.
Quote by realpaintheory
That is because you are a moron

If everyone avoided "illogical" thinking, we would be a lot less advanced than we are now as a species. It's people who walk to opposite way to that of the crowd with their eyes closed who end up making a difference.
I'm not saying that because I made some "illogical" remark I'm going to make a difference etc.
Just saying that people who don't think outside the box are generally a bit narrow-minded
Thinking outside of the box does not call for illogical views. Why don't you try to live your entire life based on false, irrational or invalid conclusions? Apparently that should brighten up your life.
oh my lord get off your high horse madcap. Its The Pit, man. No one uses logic in anything they say. I think Rap is stupid. Look at all the little g-thuggs running around starting gangs because they want a piece of the fame that rappers tell them about. Its stupid. Thats how i feel, and if you say different, i don't care. 'Tis my opinion.
Quote by Gregray88

Lmao no screamo means screaming emos its fairly self-explanatory.
+ =
Quote by davebooska
oh my lord get off your high horse madcap. Its The Pit, man. No one uses logic in anything they say. I think Rap is stupid. Look at all the little g-thuggs running around starting gangs because they want a piece of the fame that rappers tell them about. Its stupid. Thats how i feel, and if you say different, i don't care. 'Tis my opinion.
No.
Quote by The Madcap
Thinking outside of the box does not call for illogical views. Why don't you try to live your entire life based on false, irrational or invalid conclusions? Apparently that should brighten up your life.

I do quite a lot of the time, actually

Makes it interesting.

A lot of great scientists/philosophers had so-called "illogical" views that turned out to be true

Come sit in my philosophy class one time. You could learn a lot.

Or your narrow mind would explode with too many fresh, "illogical" ideas.
music is only a bad influence when:

1) the music has a message of some kind
2) the listener is an insecure, often slightly insane, person with a gun/weapon or means of getting a gun/weapon.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by davebooska

+1
Quote by realpaintheory
I do quite a lot of the time, actually

Makes it interesting.

A lot of great scientists/philosophers had so-called "illogical" views that turned out to be true

Come sit in my philosophy class one time. You could learn a lot.

Or your narrow mind would explode with too many fresh, "illogical" ideas.
False premises can never lead to true conclusions. I'm sure the theorys of the philosophers or scientists weren't completely based on false premises, unlike your idea of Rap being absolutely nothing but meaningless violence.
Quote by boreamor
I dunno about Rap tbh...I hate it...But it's not the music it's the image of the rappers.

This guys got it bang on in my opinion. I feel that mainstream rap by which i mean stuff like 50 cent, and i am not saying all rap before anyone gets so uptight about it, does have a negative effect on many teenagers growing up who think that violence etc is cool. Just my two cents i'm not by any means saying i hate rap it seems like it's become one of the seven sins of ug to say you hate rap.
Quote by davebooska

Rap is not stupid. maybe gangsta rap like 50 cent is stupid, but you can't say that all rap is stupid just because Soulja Boy licks balls
1968 - 1996

Remember... Everything.
Quote by The Madcap
False premises can never lead to true conclusions. I'm sure the theorys of the philosophers or scientists weren't completely based on false premises, unlike your idea of Rap being absolutely nothing but meaningless violence.

I seem to remember saying that FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD of rap, it has been about meaningless violence. Or something to that effect, before you get pedantic and say that I didnt quote myself properly.
Therefore it's not really false premises, it's just what I have experienced.
Quote by War-Ensemble
Lmao no screamo means screaming emos its fairly self-explanatory.

No, i've heard that term way before the emo fad came along. Any band that screamed is called "screamo". Its a term that dumb preps called music with screaming in it.

And to the comment before, if a band calls themselves screamo, then they are dumb and have NO idea what they are talking about.

But this has nothing to do with the therad so lets stop talking about this.
Page 1 of 3