So I have a head with 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs and no cab.

I do however have a combo with a 12" 8 ohm speaker.

Could I "break" the wire going from the speaker to the amp, and add a jack to it so I could plug my head in? The on the other end of the "broken" wire I would have a jack. So you could hook the jack and plug up again.

Would this work?

If so would the - wire go to the tip or ground of the jack?
yep, that'll work.

+ve goes to the tip
-ve goes to the ground/sleeve
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Yeah, why shouldn't it work?

Just don't play the amp with the "broken" cable.. (unless you plug it in to a speaker or any load)
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
How powerful is the head? What is the wattage rating for the speaker in the combo?
Quote by AndyPandy
yep, that'll work.

+ve goes to the tip
-ve goes to the ground/sleeve

pretty much altho i'm a bit worried if you didn't know that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by zw44
How powerful is the head? What is the wattage rating for the speaker in the combo?

The head has an output of 75w. I dont know the input wattage or the wattage of the speaker.
^the wattage of the combo amp will probably give you an idea.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by kurtlives91
The head has an output of 75w. I dont know the input wattage or the wattage of the speaker.
Quote by kurtlives91
What do I need to know about the wattage? I am usig this "Cab" with a VJ head.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by kurtlives91
What do I need to know about the wattage? I am usig this "Cab" with a VJ head.

you need to "know" that the wattage (RMS) of your speaker is more than the output wattage of the head otherwise you're ****ed with a capital f mate.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
you need to "know" that the wattage (RMS) of your speaker is more than the output wattage of the head otherwise you're ****ed with a capital f mate.

Ok I never have used heads just combos, lots of combos.

So will that work?
you still haven't told us the wattage of the speaker so how would i know?
EH

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

It looks like he might be looking at the other wattage rating, how much the amp draws from the outlet.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
It looks like he might be looking at the other wattage rating, how much the amp draws from the outlet.

I thought the VJ had a 30w consumption, I remember ringing a guy who advertised one as a 30w amp.
I think it was just some miswording.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
I thought the VJ had a 30w consumption, I remember ringing a guy who advertised one as a 30w amp.
I think it was just some miswording.

That too. I don't know how much the VJ actually consumes, so it was just a guess.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra