I know its said that when you break your strings change them all. My question is.. I just got a new acoustic, its a few weeks old. The G string broke earlier. I was devesated because honestly..theres nothing I get more stressed out than at changing strings lol. I know how it should be done, i've watched lots and lots of videos on how its done..even watched people do it, read on the internet and I just always make a mess of it at the tuning peg. I had a spare set of strings though for an acoustic in my room. I thought I'd attempt at replacing the G string and luckily It turned out ok. I don't want to go through the same torment to do all the other strings, especially as they arent very old and I will end up messing them up big time. Its not like you get unlimited trys, after a few mistakes the string becomes Fatigued and will snap (as it has done to me before)
This G string I put on (lol..haha ) is now on the guitar and everything seems fine..however I would likely guess that its a not a consistent guage with the rest. It's a bronze wound 0.23 inch or 0.58 mm. Martin & Co. Acoustic Guitar string, where as my old G string was just a default factory string that came with my Washburn DC10. So would it be a really bad thing if I just leave on the string I replaced or do I need to take them all off so that they are consistent? btw taking the guitar to the store to be re-strung isnt an option. Here they charge £40 and take about 2 weeks to get it back to you, its daylight robbery.
2 weeks? wtf it takes my local store 30 minutes and 15 bucks... theyre practicaly pulling down your pants, raping you, then never calling you again
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
STOP Your getting the saying backwards. when you break one, ONLY change that string. And key points of tunning, are these

- Make sure the hole in the tunning peg is paralell to the bridge pin.
- Make sure the string end is nice and tightly placed under the bridge pin

Follow this, and you'l be good.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
2 weeks? wtf it takes my local store 30 minutes and 15 bucks... theyre practicaly pulling down your pants, raping you, then never calling you again

ahh 15 bucks..lol..ok so in Canadian dollars it would cost you $80..yes I did get financially raped..It annoys me how I paid that much!

OK.. well thanks for replys but one of you are saying change them all..and the other guy saying just change what breaks?
$80 is how much you'd pay if you paid what I paid I mean..lol my friends in Canada thought I was lying when I said how much I paid
hahah that sucks man.. yeah guitar stores rape you because they think that theres nothing you can do about it
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Quote by RentACar
STOP Your getting the saying backwards. when you break one, ONLY change that string. And key points of tunning, are these

- Make sure the string end is nice and tightly placed under the bridge pin

Follow this, and you'l be good.

What? I always change all my strings. There's no reason to only change one. You have one new bright sounding string and a bunch of dull ones, and a now uneven set.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Those who cant do have to pay others to do it for them. Just a fact of life. If your gonna keep playing guitar your gonna need to learn how to do it eventually.
Quote by tm1776
ahh 15 bucks..lol..ok so in Canadian dollars it would cost you $80..yes I did get financially raped..It annoys me how I paid that much!

OK.. well thanks for replys but one of you are saying change them all..and the other guy saying just change what breaks?

lol what? the canadian doller is pretty strong right now. its worth more than american.

anyways, you can change just the one if you want. i dont like to though because i like to have all the strings of equal age and tone quality. but if i dont have the money then ill just do the one. i rarely break strings anyway.

but man, changing strings is not that hard. make sure you have some slack on the string. a good way to do this is to put your hand near the 12th so that the string goes over your thumb. put your hand on the fret board as if you were trying to chop it. then pull the string through the peg hole. when the string just goes over your hand, hold the string at the nut and start winding. make sure the wraps go under the hole. thats pretty much all you need to do. it just takes time, effort and practise.

so in this case you just have to ask yourself if equal tone and string quality across all strings is important to you and if you are willing to take some time out and change them. dont pay someone to do it. big waste of money.
Everytime one of my strings break, I have this sudden urge to change all of them. There's this psychological need in me for everything to be neat and ordered. But lots of my friends only change one. It's your preference really.

My friend taught me how to change my strings, and it took me some time to get it right (I still don't). I have this horrible sweat problem that compels me to wear gloves or else the string corrodes before my eyes whilst I change them

But like Blind In 1 ear said, follow his method and you'll get it soon.
if one string breaks i find it easyer to change them all because if one broke another one will probally break soon anyway
Quote by Findinghomer
if you break a string, you should just get a new guitar.

WTF!!

Lol, i should've gotten 2 guitars already then... I just replaced the strings on my acoustic. Even though only the high E broke, i changed the whole set

You should learn to replace them by yourself. You'll save a lot of money...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Quote by RentACar

Eh? No, when you break a string, most people change all the strings. Its no good having 5 strings that sound shit and 1 string thats all bright and nice.

It doesnt make any difference what direction its in.
Been away, am back
ha ha, im in india and here they change your strings for free, and fix intonation and any other problem the guitar dreams up

FREE!!

edit] thats not to say i cant change them myself. but im not motivated, like you guys are

15 pounds..god...
Quote by Findinghomer
if you break a string, you should just get a new guitar.

lmao. Good idea. Because the price I need to pay in order to teach myself how to string a guitar will be close to a guitar anyway :P I am guessing I need to buy 10 packs of strings which are around £5 each before I get it right. It would be nice If there was no pressure to learn, but once you try, you only really have a maximum of say, 3 tries.. or so before the string starts to get worn and will eventually just snap as it did on Friday to me, and also the very first time I tried. Think Guitars in the future will be stringless and work with sensors or something?
ok maybe i approach these things differently because i started off playing punk rock, but WHY would you change ALL the strings unless they feel like they need changing? it seems like a waste of money to me. also, in my 7 years of playing i never felt changing strings was any big hassle; if a string breaks, put a new one in its place. it takes 2 minutes and is no big deal, the only thing you need to know about changing strings is not to put the string in the key backwards. stringing my guitar was the first thing i learned how to do, and took all of 5 minutes to learn.

also as a side note, in a pinch the broken string can be reused.
ever see punk/grunge rockers who don't cut the ends of their strings at the headstock? this isn't a fashion thing. this is so if the string breaks at the bridge and you don't have a replacement handy, you can reattach the round piece where the string broke and restring it like that. if the string is cut, it won't be long enough to fix.

and tm 1776, i think there is a midi guitar that uses sensors instead of strings. that would be really awkward to play imo.