i own a ibanez sa120 , the pickups are ok, but id like something a little more metal. heavy leads and smooth highs.... i was thinking emg.. any sugg?
Hmmm.

"Hey baby, do you need some laundry done? Cause I'm about to sweep your G-string!"

*Reads thread*

"Oh."
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
Quote by metallifan1
for shred, Dimarzio Evolutions all the way.

+1
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Evo, Air norton, D-sonic from Dimarzio.

Custom and Jazz models, possibly even a 59' from Duncan sound pretty cool.
practice. you can "shred" on any pickup. you have kids doing it on all kinds of emgs and evos and whatthefuckever these days. yngwie did it on vintage strats back in the day.
Quote by CorduroyEW
What amp do you have?

+1

You're not going to notice much of a difference in pickups unless you've got a tube amp. You'll still notice somewhat of a difference with SS or a modeling amp, but pickups effect the output which can drive your tubes a little bit more.
Quote by Guitarmiester
+1

You're not going to notice much of a difference in pickups unless you've got a tube amp. You'll still notice somewhat of a difference with SS or a modeling amp, but pickups effect the output which can drive your tubes a little bit more.

Not true. There is a distrinct difference tonally between pickups regardless of your amp. Tonally, the character will change. The sheer output of a high gain pickup, however, will still drive a solid state and react to it's distortion circuit, but instead of getting the nice tube overdrive push you get a fizzy solid state distortion push.

And to OP - what kind of shred are we talking here? 80's metal shred? Instrumental virtuoso shred? It makes a large difference. For screaming leads I would definitely recommend either a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, a Distortion set (especially good) or a Full Shred set.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Not true. There is a distrinct difference tonally between pickups regardless of your amp. Tonally, the character will change. The sheer output of a high gain pickup, however, will still drive a solid state and react to it's distortion circuit, but instead of getting the nice tube overdrive push you get a fizzy solid state distortion push.

Exactly, and who strives for a fizzy sound? Nobody. I'm just saying, if he's using a SS or modeling amp, there's not much of a reason to change pickups. He should probably be worried more about his playing.

As for the Dimarzio Evo's recommendation, they are great pickups but aren't very forgiving. If you're not clean and articulate, everyone's going to notice. Unless, you hide behind gain. What's worse, sloppy playing or a muddy sound?
Quote by CorduroyEW
What amp do you have?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol. I think that the sound comes mainly from the hands. But ofc duncans, dimarzios and emgs.
What happened to the few guys on here that actually had useful input about pickups? People are mentioning pickups without any insight? Where's the point in that?
i think by shredding pickup he means high output, so no jazz models or 59's. im not an active pickup guy, that being said i love the semour duncan screamin demon and lungrens if you can afford them, yes the evolutions of course
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Super Distortion / Pro track would be my favorite...

Super Distortion / Evolution

Breed / Air Norton

Norton / PAF Pro

The list goes on. The list goes DiMarzio.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

^ you aren't seriously suggesting dimarzios are the only pickups you can shred with?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ you aren't seriously suggesting dimarzios are the only pickups you can shred with?

I doubt he meant ONLY Dimarzio's. You can really shred with any pickups. We got one of those Hello Kitty guitars in a few months back, I plugged into a Marshall JVM half stack and shredded the sh*t out of it. The intonation was off, easy fix though took all of two minutes.
^ he did say "the list goes dimarzio"...

But yeah, i agree. obviously some are better than others, but IMO there are better pickups than dimarzios for shredding...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about an EQ pedal? From the looks of your first post, you're not overly happy with the sound you're getting. With an EQ pedal you'll be able to further tweak your sound.
Quote by TimmyPage06

And to OP - what kind of shred are we talking here? 80's metal shred? Instrumental virtuoso shred? It makes a large difference. For screaming leads I would definitely recommend either a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, a Distortion set (especially good) or a Full Shred set.

awesome vid, last person made a strat sound that good headlined woodstock
Quote by Guitarmiester
How about an EQ pedal? From the looks of your first post, you're not overly happy with the sound you're getting. With an EQ pedal you'll be able to further tweak your sound.

any brand suggestions on eq pedals?