First of all sorry if this is the wrong section. I couldn't find any other place more appropriate but then I just registered 5 seconds ago.

I took guitar lessons a couple years back but the teacher wasn't the greatest... I know the basic chords and even though the chords with multiple strings/one finger are hard to learn that isn't a big problem for me. My problem is picking... yeah I can pick, I looked on guitar sites and found patterns and can pick like that but thats not what I want. I want to be able to pick like Michael Card - for any of you Christians -

I want to be able to play so that I don't need backup and I don't need to sing for the audience to know what the song is... I know there is a technical term for it but at the moment I can't recall it

Yes I know practice makes perfect but you can't tell me that these guys just play those dull patterns everyone is selling in their e-books. I need a shove in the right direction...

I want to play country, old spanish music(you know "Zorro" music ), old folk music and that type of stuff.

What I need to know is how do you know what "patterns" or notes to pick for a particular song as I know that you won't always be picking the same notes for every song even if the chords are the same... am I not right?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Quote by SkyValley
Are you talking about fingerstyle playing?

Don't tell me I wrote all that and still didn't make myself clear...

But yeah that is what I was attempting to get across, sorry if I didn't make it clear though.
WALL OF TEXT!!! RUN AWAY!!!

---->Now that you've read this post, you have 15 minutes to quote what is inside the arrows and re-post it, or else a man will appear by your bed at 12:00 AM with a
knife and peel your skin off then rape you
He has a blue penis that is infected with dead maggots and lice.<-----
Uh take Classical guitar lessons dude. That's where you get your fingerstyle chops. You'll learn to read sheet music and then you'll understand how to do the individual notes. Check out Don Ross and Andy McKee to see good examples of godlike fingerstyle playing. They both started out playing Classical. That's what I'm doing right now, actually .
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
Uh take Classical guitar lessons dude. That's where you get your fingerstyle chops. You'll learn to read sheet music and then you'll understand how to do the individual notes. Check out Don Ross and Andy McKee to see good examples of godlike fingerstyle playing. They both started out playing Classical. That's what I'm doing right now, actually .

Thats what I need to know, what courses are good, what guys I should follow around.

I bought a couple courses but they were crap.

I will check out the names you suggested.
Please use the relevant forum on the site. The pit isn't the place for this.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.