I've been playing bass since about June/July, and the first set of equipment I got was a Yamaha RBX170, Monster bass cable and Behringer BXL900 (90w) from Guitar Center.

I play mostly rock/hard rock (Tool, A7X, RATM).

I've already got a wishlist thing for an upgraded set of equipment, and I'll probably get new equipment around summer '08 or so.

-Traben Array 4-String Bass
-GK Goldline 210GLX Cabinet
-GK Backline 600 Amp head
-DR Black Beauties

An optional amp I could get (instead of the GK stuff) is the Behringer BXL3000 (300w) combo amp, but I'm not too sure about it since it's such a low end company.

What do you think about my wishlist, and do you have any suggestions about what I could/should get?

My budget is about $1100 or lower for everything.
I have the Backline 600 with the 4x10 GLX...definitely voting for that.

As far a a starter bass foes, I'd go for a Squire VM Jazz bass. I'm seriously considering buying one as my second bass and modding the hell out of it.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
the Backline heads are a pretty good deal.
the backline cabs?... you get what you pay for.

ps, Goldline's are just prettier backlines.

I'd get a backline (or an RB if you can afford it) head and a better cab.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
stick with traben, I'd say. the amp is definitely the GK. Behringer sucks, I have one good choices. look into Ibanez if you want to see more instrument choices, and Ampeg for Amps. They both are good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Alright. I could probably land something like the 410GLX sooner or later.

The only thing I don't really like is the Squier VM Jazz.. I'm not a fan of Squier or jazz basses. The only reason I got the Yamaha was the good reviews and its universal sound.

I've already tried out the Traben Array 4-String Limited before (on a GK cab, not sure what head), and it's really clear. The little design on the bottom part of the body serves as a pickup too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traben-Array-4-String-Bass-512053-i1147527.gc
Traben Array

Btw, isn't Goldline aluminum so it's lighter? Just wondering.
I don't really wanna break my back, but I'd probably have roadies to do stuff for me =P
Last edited by RykuZ at Nov 8, 2007,
yeah, but its the same build as the Backline with lighter materials. and all I was saying, was that Backline cabs sound like anus.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
the Backline heads are a pretty good deal.
the backline cabs?... you get what you pay for.

ps, Goldline's are just prettier backlines.

I'd get a backline (or an RB if you can afford it) head and a better cab.

I definitely noticed a difference in tone between a Backline and Goldline. As far as durability goes, just checkthe connections inside the amp. I had a problem with the wires leading off to the cone in one of the speakers coming loose. 30 second solder job though...no problem.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by RykuZ
Alright. I could probably land something like the 410GLX sooner or later.

The only thing I don't really like is the Squier VM Jazz.. I'm not a fan of Squier or jazz basses. The only reason I got the Yamaha was the good reviews and its universal sound.

I've already tried out the Traben Array 4-String Limited before (on a GK cab, not sure what head), and it's really clear. The little design on the bottom part of the body serves as a pickup too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traben-Array-4-String-Bass-512053-i1147527.gc
Traben Array

Btw, isn't Goldline aluminum so it's lighter? Just wondering.
I don't really wanna break my back, but I'd probably have roadies to do stuff for me =P

what do you mean by the little design serves as a pickup?

also why are you asking for more starter gear 4-5 months after starting bass?

imo use what you've got for a while, save up some more money, and then you won' t have to settle for starter gear, you don't want to take small steps, you'll end up wasting to much money, not a very smart idea

y
Last edited by Zar938 at Nov 8, 2007,
The little silvery wing/spider thing by the bridge of the Traben Array is a design and a pickup both in one.
Like a piezo pickup?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Not sure. It's either called Phoenix or Luthier.

I'm not that familiar with pickups, so I don't know.