Well me and a buddy are working on getting a band together. He's singing, im playing guitar and we found another guitarist and Drummer.

So since I'm rhythm i need to be writing riffs so i can have saved for later. But i can't seem to write anything good.

Should i read more theory?
Listen to some iron maiden...learn some metal songs and/or just rock songs, iron maiden in particular...get some ideas/techniques from other songs and use them in your own ways.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Strat
Washburn BT-2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Crybaby
Digitech Hendrix Pedal (Multi-Effects)
Blues Driver
Tube Screamer TS-9
M-Audio Jam Lab
Digitech GNX4 Guitar workstation
^^ what he said. Iron Maiden is a really good band to learn how to play music with... their songs are melodic but heavy, complicated but not too complicated, and very very diverse. Learn what you can from their songs, and start trying to incorporate that into whatever you write.

I met some dude that was majoring in music production at Berklee School of Music up here in Boston, and his advice about that kind of stuff was to not worry about sounding like a knock-off or a copycat on your first cd. Nobody puts out a fully mature cd as their first cd. After that first benchmark and initial success is when you should really start to pave your own path.
Quote by pataldo
just play around with power chords... see if you can get something good.

There's SO much more to rhythm playing than that...

And the last post is pretty much head on. Don't worry about being original at first - use bands as inspiration for riffs and ideas, then see how you develop from there.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Mess around with drop D.I used to do that.

Well,a vast knowledge of scales will help you write riffs too
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Can you sing?

I'm going to give you my rubbish, "I don't actually know any theory!" advice.

Think of a tune, in your head....got it!?....now...sing each note individually and match the notes on the fretboard with the note you're singing.

It works for me. Just think about how you want it to sound, what is it you're hearing in your head? Then play it my friend...PLAY!
You wont like this i know, but in My Chem tunes look at the rythem in that, lead does the power chords and the other guitarist does rythem, look at the rythem its not power chords its more octaves.

Just a thought

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
If you're serious about writing music then you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on and open a lot of doorways for yourself by at least beginning to study some music theory now. Even understanding how intervals and chord construction and progressions work will allow you to write with a lot more confidence as well as making it easier to analyse other people's songs. You don't have to do this, many people have written great songs without knowing that stuff but there's no doubt that it will help.
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Quote by Jodimu
If you're serious about writing music then you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on and open a lot of doorways for yourself by at least beginning to study some music theory now. Even understanding how intervals and chord construction and progressions work will allow you to write with a lot more confidence as well as making it easier to analyse other people's songs. You don't have to do this, many people have written great songs without knowing that stuff but there's no doubt that it will help.

I've been needing to do this, but i've never gotten around to it/ Or even where to start.
get a groove goin in your head. mess around with different chords (open or power chords), different tunings, etc etc till you get something you like whether it be a chord or progression, etc.

Rhythm's the thing i do best right now (been playing like, half a year so my lead skills aren't exactly amazing), so that's what i do to right stuff.
The key word here is "rhythm".

I like to have chords with spaces in between, like AC/DC, except instead of leaving the spaces completely blank I fill them up with palm-muted notes or licks.

One fill that works really well is to go up the scale until you find a tension note that feels well resolved when you hit the next chord.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Get something you like from another song and then modify it to your likings until it doesn't sound like the original.
Sit down and make guitar noises to the coolest song you can make up in your head. Now play it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2