i just recently changed the bridge pickup on my tele and i had to put on a new set of strings so i did and it seemed my low e was a little off and i checked it and it was out of intonation by quite a bit....and so i tried to correct it by adjusting the bridge but i couldn't move the saddle enough to fix the intonation... i had just set the intonation the day before i changed the strings and everything was fine...what could cause this? and how could i fix it? thanks
Quote by silhouettica
in my opinion, the only reason that dean and BC Rich guitars are so popular is because the people who play only want them for the pointy parts to stab people (such as their singer, or that guy from fall out boy)
I don't know much about intonation and all this, but try going to the Electric Guitar forum and/or send jj1565 or Dave_Mc a PM. They were mods of EG once, so I'd expect them to know a bit about that.

I know Dave was a mod, I'm not sure about Jenny though. But yeah, take it to Electric Guitar.
Ben
did you change string gauge?

are the other strings tuned correctly?

how off is it and are you trying to move the saddle away from , or closer to the fretboard.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
did you change string gauge?

are the other strings tuned correctly?

how off is it and are you trying to move the saddle away from , or closer to the fretboard.

string gauge is the same all the other strings are in tune and in the correct intonation and it's sharp by about 30 cents and im moving the saddle away from the fret board
Quote by silhouettica
in my opinion, the only reason that dean and BC Rich guitars are so popular is because the people who play only want them for the pointy parts to stab people (such as their singer, or that guy from fall out boy)
depending on the the type of saddle, you can either work with the saddle (if it's similar to this style, ignore the writing on the pic)
you can put in a smaller spring. or cut the spring in half. that would let you compress it more.

you would either have to work with the saddle or raise the action, or adjust the neck. (after measuring)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
depending on the the type of saddle, you can either work with the saddle (if it's similar to this style, ignore the writing on the pic)
you can put in a smaller spring. or cut the spring in half. that would let you compress it more.

you would either have to work with the saddle or raise the action, or adjust the neck. (after measuring)

but it doesn't make sence..... i was using the same gauge of strings just 2 days ago with no problems at all......and its been fine since i got the guitar....
Quote by silhouettica
did you take off all the strings?

sometimes necks relax a little, the saddle moght not be sitting correctly, the string might be off, (sometimes string come from the factory messed up), you might get better luck comparing fretted 12th vs open 12th. and so on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
did you take off all the strings?

sometimes necks relax a little, the saddle moght not be sitting correctly, the string might be off, (sometimes string come from the factory messed up), you might get better luck comparing fretted 12th vs open 12th. and so on.

yeah i compared open harmonic 12th open and fretted 12.....the open is fine the harmonic is fine...and the fretted.....not so much....... well ima go with the whole factory messed up theory.....they were cheap strings anyway......lol they even came with a free pick!
Quote by silhouettica
your guitar is not bound for the glue factory. if the fretted 12th fret is higher than its harmonic on the 12th fret.
have you been moving it forward?
if so, then you might want to "sight" the neck
and i find its way easier to judge with the neck alone, with out strings. but in your case, leave them on
so, you're looking down the fretboard from the headstock
if you've ever fired a gun, you line up the eye-sight with the "barrel fin"
right?
so you do the same with the nut and the 22nd/24th fret
get it so far?
so then you judge if they're parallel or if the fretboard twists one way or the other
get it?
so you're "sighting" the neck

edit: ... if the fretted is higher than the harmonic ..." then you should move the saddle BACKWARDS
Last edited by sethp at Nov 10, 2007,
get a screw driver and on the one saddle screw it just a little bit beucase the screw is making a angle if anything its the spring just moved a little soo just play around with it
Quote by EMGibanez
yeah i compared open harmonic 12th open and fretted 12.....the open is fine the harmonic is fine...and the fretted.....not so much....... well ima go with the whole factory messed up theory.....they were cheap strings anyway......lol they even came with a free pick!

haha, yeah.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Compare the new bridge saddles to the old ones. Are the new ones just a bit longer? Is the bridge plate exactly the same length and sitting in the exact same position? all this can affect intonation. I think Jenny has the best idea so far, clip the spring in half so the saddle will move a bit closer to the backplate of the bridge. Make sure you hold it, when you cut the thing it will fly to Montana if you don't hold it with something...other than your fingers, I've clipped into a finger too trying to do that...OUCH!!
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...