I'm just curious, because I switched to new strings on my bass (Ibanez GSR200 active) about 5 months ago, and my new strings are starting to go out, so i switched back to my old ones (that came with the bass) today and they all have revived brightness with the zing sound on the string.
they probably aren't as bright and revived as you think, you just played the other strings for five months, so it wouldn't be difficult for a less used string to sound brighter than the ones you replaced, also i could just be the type of strings, what strings were you using, because theres a possibility the stock ones are brighter sounding than the other ones, even when brand new
I played the stock ones for about 4 months, then switched to d'addario bright roundwounds, then now i just switched back to the stock ones that have just been sitting around out in the open for 5 months.
I noticed a bit more brightness in my strings after I painted my pickguard. It seems that simply taking the strings off and restringing them will mess with the tension a little and make them brighter and twangier. It fades away really fast...it's not as if you have new strings.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
yeah i guessed that it had to do with the stretching and such of the strings.
It WILL fade by tomorrow, if not by the end of the night.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Wildcat31
I played the stock ones for about 4 months, then switched to d'addario bright roundwounds, then now i just switched back to the stock ones that have just been sitting around out in the open for 5 months.

lol. i must have been drunk when i read his post?????
i swore i read flatwounds???????? never-mind!!!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
lol. 2 year old roundwounds will sound brighter than, 5 month old flats. it's not a freak of nature, it's the sound, of two different types of strings.

Wait a sec... Ibanez GSR200's come stock with flats!?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..