Guys, need some help about the best course of action from this point.

Today, my guitar fell over and hit the floor pretty hard, resulting in the snapping of the neck quite close to the headstock, on an angle from just in front of the nut on the back, to the end of the truss rod cover on the front.

The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, it's set neck.

I understand that the easiest thing to do from here is to simply buy a new guitar, however, I like the guitar, and I'd like to explore the option of having a new neck installed.

Alternatively, my teacher suggested I have a new neck put on it, and then sell it, then buy a new one. It's not the first time I've had problems with this guitar, nothing as major as this, though.

So, in terms of replacing the neck, I'd certainly have to pay a shop to do it, because I'd just **** it up, so, for a neck replacement, how much time would I be looking?

And roughly, how much would I be looking at paying to have the neck replaced?

EDIT:

I'm forseeing requests for pictures of the break, but since I'm at school, you'll have to wait a few hours for those.
Check out warmoth.com They have pretty fair prices on guitar parts.
Swapping the neck will not be worth it for an Epi unless it has extreme sentimental value. The money you'd use on such a repair job would land you a Gibson, and not even a Studio or Faded series... And Warmoth necks don't go onto Gibsons. They make bolt on necks for Fender-specs.

Pictures? Different angles if possible... It may be fixable with a little confidence (and glue)
^ you can get an LP neck off there without the holes drilled to make it a set neck though
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
you can have the headstock replaced by any good luthier. they will cut the old one along to where the break is and clue new wood ther....heres one I did (I still have to paint it). If it's done well the tone of the gtr won't be affected

The guitar does have extreme sentimental value to me, and even if it is an Epi, I like the tone it gives me.

I really wouldn't be very confident trying to just glue it back together, but I could probably give it a shot. There's been some small splinters of wood that've come off it, and the break is right around the truss rod cover. Would this affect the ability to glue it?

Pictures momentarily.
Sounds like glueing would be your best bet. The tone might not be completely the same though. But then again, the tone would change with a new neck as well.
damn that sucks, a luither perhaps?
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I've sent emails to three luthiers and the guitar shop I normally get my gear and repairs from, so we'll see what they say.

It's somewhat unfortunate timing, seeing as I took my back-up guitar apart last weekend, and on the coming Wednesday, I have to play a gig in front of about 500 people.

Looks like I'll be borrowing a guitar.
Did it break the top of the truss by any chance?
If so, it'll be a great deal harder.

Usually, I'd cut 3 out blocks on this neck part and the headstock part and fit them together with a wood epoxy and 3 wooden blocks to fit the holes that was cut giving it a more ridgid sorta thing so to speak.
I'll try finding a link to someone else whos done it if i can
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
It didn't break the truss rod itself, that's not really exposed, but the end of the cavity is slightly broken. You can kind of see it in the 3rd picture, there's a little metallic looking thing that's showing slightly, and the exposed cavity can be seen in the 4th pic.
sorry dude.

R.I.P, you need a new neck, looks like even if you repair it, the string tension will eventually break it, and you won't wanna hafta be "fragile" with it, its gonna be a pain
The break looks relatively "clean", meaning, the pros can probably glue it. Make sure you gather all the wood pieces, in case they can glue it together.

I understand that the glued in repair tends to be stronger than the actual wood itself ... so this shouldn't cause any future tuning problems. Pros in the forum can provide more insight on what to expect, based on the pics you posted.

Good Luck!

That looks fixable to me. Hope you can find a good luthier to take care of it.
If you decide to just re glue the old headstock make sure you us the hardest bonding epoxy clue you can, other wise when you string it up the string tension will bend the headstock forward and you will never be able to tune it. What I did with mine (see pic's earlier) is pretty easy if you are patient and it will yeild the best result.....
Don't listen to the guys who say you need a new neck...cause thats bollocks, it can be fixed
Ouch, that was painful to look at. Several years ago I got a B.C Rich Iron Bird given to me, was quite jacked up, the headstock was broke off, fixed with a spoon handle and some glue... sort of, the electronics where monkey rigged, had a wierd trem system. I managed to get it play able, I glued the head stock back on (good thing the sucker had a locking nut) and it was playable. Till it fell over one day and the neck snapped off again.

If you do manage to fix it, it will not be the same and will probably extra fragile
Just to update y'all, 'cause the thread came back to life, the guitar was dispatched to a luthier today, who's apparently very good and gets used by multiple guitar shops for repairs. He's going to reattach the head to the neck, and perform some cosmetic repairs. The quote was "less than 300 bucks", that's Aussie bucks, and I thought that was fairly reasonable, seeing as I paid slightly under 1000 for it in the first place.

Basically, if I like how it feels and sounds when it comes back, I'll keep it, if I don't, I'll sell it and put the bucks towards a new one.
if it's done right, that guitar will be perfectly useable afterward. not fragile or unstable. my favorite guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Doublecut Standard Plus (what a ridiculously long name) that i got on major discount because of a very similar break. i fixed it very carefully using Titebond glue (which is what you should use, not epoxy. wood glue will bond it better) and the only time i've had a problem is when it got dropped on its headstock, which, as you've discovered, will break even a perfectly intact guitar.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
This happened on one of my resonator guitars. I fixed it my self. It wasnt very hard. I went to a store that sold cooking suplies and bought a meat injector. thin went to the hard ware store and bought liquid hide glue. I think the brand was tite bond. it comes in a brown bottle. I filled thew meat injector with with the glue and carfully spread the fracture apart and injected the hide glue in. Then I took a towel and folded it over several times. and layed in on the fret board. then put a small 1 by 4 board on top. then did the same on the back of the neck and put 2 c clamps on the 1 by 4 s. you can still see were the crack was but it has held for me and I did it for less then $10.00. I don't know if this will work for you but it might be an option if you can't afford the repair.
Ouch,I cringed.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
i think u can fix that cause it's a clean break so if u bring it in to a shop they could fix it for u