hey guys....ok i want to try out new strings

so far ive tried out diadarrios..and ernie ball...i want to keep that new string sound as long as possible..so what kind of strings do you guys know that can do that?

i like ernie ball but i wanna try some new ones

what do you guys use and why?
I just use Ernie Ball 10s... I think like Super Slinky. The one's in the bright green package.

They sound pretty good and they seem to stand up for a long time.
Rotosound Swing 66's. they start out mean and nasty(bright and punchy), and then mellow to a very nice, punchy growl. it's the only string i recommend.
www.rotosound.com
<the procceding anouncement is an un-paid advertisment, by real users>
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Rotosound Swing 66's. they start out mean and nasty(bright and punchy), and then mellow to a very nice, punchy growl. it's the only string i recommend.
www.rotosound.com

+Fitz (the newest number)

I even started a group about them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
www.rotosound.com

+Bullet

Lovely sharp attack at first but they last for a while I have found. If I'm going to get some new strings I'd still get some more Roto Swing 66's (Heavy)
signature
As well as branding, remember to be conscious of what materials are used in the different strings and be aware of your preference. Of course Ernie Balls are more known for their nickel-plated steel strings, and Rotosounds for stainless steels. But be sure not to confuse brand names with materials used, as both companies make stainless steel and nickel-plated.

You make want to also check out all nickel-strings. Also, I hear EBS have made nickel-plated titanium strings I wanna check out.
^ 83lps uses nickel plated Rotos!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
DR HI Beams
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
I use rotosound strings - the gauge is just below the standard factory strings because i like them to play lik a train in the night...I also kept forgetting to tune my bass for about three weeks and i played for three hours a day everyday for those three weeks and when i tuned them they were only just slightly out of tune - except for the G which rarely ever goes out of tune...
Rotosound Swing Bass RS66.
Nothing matches their sound. Perfect balance. Last pretty well too. Around 30 CDN for me. Slightly more expensive than Ernie Balls but is it ever worth the extra 4 dollars. I wish I could try a set of DR's though.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
^Funny, a set of EB 5-strings costs $1 more than Roto 5-strings.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Deliriumbassist swears by Stadium Elites. They are a UK brand, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get them.

I've used Warwick Black Labels. and they had a nice, mellow tone. Not very growly, or bright however.

I've currently got Ernie Ball Slinkies on my bass, they're nice, but they're losing their brightness pretty quickly (couple of months I believe). Okay, fine, not that quickly then...

Next, I'm going to check out either Elixer or Stadium Elites.

Edit: Also, I tried out some Rotosounds, and I hated them!

Edit edit. Apparently I can't pull off Chris-edit. So I've removed it. Happy now?!?!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
www.rotosound.com

+IRS

I used to use Ernie Balls, but now that I have rotosunds, I never want to go back to anything else. Plus, they're cheap.
Really at my local Long & McQaude the 4 string Power slinky set is $26 and a 4 string Rotosound RS66 set is $30. Worth it though. I do not like shopping at Mother's Music since the staff there is a bunch of assholes but I might buy an amp head there when I get the money.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
i prefer light gauge dadarrios, but i tried elixers once and it was an experience. in a good way.
I love the Rotosound flatwounds and have been a big fan of EB super slinkies, but all of the Rotosound love fest makes me think I'll be trying a set of Rotos for my next fretted bass string purchase.
DR Hibeams, because they take a beating. I used to use Ernie Balls but they lost tone in like 2 weeks, and the guy at GC reccomended the DRs so i put them on and they've lasted for a month now good as new.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
www.rotosound.com

Used to use the Ernie Balls the second poster recommended, but I've switched to these. First week with them was a solid rape of my finger tips, and the brightness was very disappointing, but I'm in love after about a month of use! They have mellowed down, and the tone I pull from them for playing some nice, tasteful metalcore is incredible, after them being so bright. Like them a ton, probably switch to thicker gauged ones next time!
Elixers!

But that's just MY personal preference. Definately try them all out, as soon as you can, that way you can know what's out there and truly find your tone now, and later have references if you want to change your sound. Plus if you just stay with one string for now, you'll end up down the road hearing a different string, fall in love with it, and then realize that you stopped playing bass years before because you grew tired of your sound. :P
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
I have used Elixirs for quite some time. They are expensive but they sound and feel great, plus they last pretty long. However, I have heard a million people recommend the Rotosounds so I think I am going to try them out soon.
I like DR's but have never used them on my basses. I actually bought the cheap muscian choice 10 for a dollar for my 4 string, and I used Fender supers for my 5. I'll probabally use roundwounds for my 8-string fretless though. Now if I can just find a set...
Quote by slap-a-bass
you guys no if thye sell rotosounds at guitar center???

or just at that site

i'd like to try some

Yes! i buy my Rotos at GC. i use nickel on steel (RN), so mine run about $20. the stainless(RS) are a little higher i think. once a year(or so), GC has a buy one set, get one free.
I use DR stainless steel low riders, cant compare them because thats the only ones Ive used besides on my fretless which i have GHS precision flats on it but I wouldnt recomend flats if your playing a fretted bass
Deff try Snakeskins by Conklin. If you feel like spending $40 on strings. I think they are the best. The last you a really really long time, they sound amazing. Reminds me of Piano. MF had them once upon a time, but bastards took em' off. I bought a 6 string set for 20 bucks. Also the other set of string Conklin offers. I think their calles SIT or something. They give you Very nice sounding lows and highs.
i would only go rotosound(the ones everybody mentioned), DR fat-beams (marcus miller Sigs), or elixers, all fine strings