Yeah, I'm just starting out on the bass. I've been playing guitar for more than 1 and a half years. I got a bass book at Half Price books and some bass lines that I want to learn.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-Affinity-Jazz-Bass-Pack-With-Fender-Rumble-15-Amp?sku=513295

Is this good for starting out with?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Vintage Modified Series is much better for starters. If you're picking up bass on a whim, go for the Affinity. If there's even a slight chance that you become serious, get a Squire Vintage Modded J-bass. They'll start you off better, and serve as awesome project guitars for further modifications.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Vinatge Modified J Bass + Ashdown Electric Blue 15 if you're serious about bass. If not, the 'stop dreaming start playing' pack's good.
Im going to have to say no with a but, and yes with an if..

It really isn't that great for movement on the neck particularly. The frets on the affinities GENERALLY are terrible and can poke your fingers when playing, so being a new player where the movement on a bass fingerboard is new you should get something that is easier to move on! If you are just playing bass for the few songs and don't really see yourself going anywhere any time soon.. then go with it! But in my opinion some of the yamaha's, especially the rbx270 are pretty good for beginners, with the nice neck and the good body.. But the affinity definitely has the cool factor of the fender look alike.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Vinatge Modified J Bass + Ashdown Electric Blue 15 if you're serious about bass. If not, the 'stop dreaming start playing' pack's good.

The Vintage and the Ashdown will cost around £450. To my ears, that is NOT a good thing for a starters. Starters don't know if they're gonna be serious, it's best to start off with a STARTER pack, or a cheap bass and a 10-20 watt bass amp. 180 watts is barely what a beginner needs, and £450 is a lot of money to splash out for something that may fall on the wayside.
Quote by SamBassMan
Im going to have to say no with a but, and yes with an if..

It really isn't that great for movement on the neck particularly. The frets on the affinities GENERALLY are terrible and can poke your fingers when playing, so being a new player where the movement on a bass fingerboard is new you should get something that is easier to move on! If you are just playing bass for the few songs and don't really see yourself going anywhere any time soon.. then go with it! But in my opinion some of the yamaha's, especially the rbx270 are pretty good for beginners, with the nice neck and the good body.. But the affinity definitely has the cool factor of the fender look alike.

There's an overall point he's made here that I want to expand a bit. Have you played this bass? Have you actually picked it up and tried it?

Take your budget and go to a music store. For starters, there are a ton of options to choose from, and some great ones from the major manufacturers.
Last edited by anarkee at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by anarkee
There's an overall point he's made here that I want to expand a bit. Have you played this bass? Have you actually picked it up and tried it?

Take your budget and go to a music store. For starters, there are a ton of options to choose from, and some great ones from the major manufacturers.

Yeah i have picked it up and tried it.. when i was starting, the neck was terrible bad action and bad frets. (Might have just been the one i tried).. but its not good for beginners! There are plenty others in this price range that are better, that was my point!
Squier basses are not that good. Go to a Guitar Center(or any other music store) and look at the used stuff. I once picked up a decent ESP bass used that was 200 bucks. Yeah so go check out used and new in your price range.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
squiers are fine if your not used to basses that get sold for a lot less if there is a discolored nut and a missing spot of paint. however check out every cheap bass in the store and walk out with the one that makes you feel the best. don't settle for less than that I say, and if you think you want this one you may find a better one.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by SamBassMan
Yeah i have picked it up and tried it.. when i was starting, the neck was terrible bad action and bad frets. (Might have just been the one i tried).. but its not good for beginners! There are plenty others in this price range that are better, that was my point!

Actually, I was talking to the TS. I agree with you completely--and just wanted to add a few more points to your original post.