Hi
Which one of these two telecasters would you choose?
Top of the line Squier Telecaster $299
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-SSH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512574

Bottom of the line Fender Telecaster $399
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516035

The Squier's info says it has Duncan designed pick ups
The Fender's info doesn't say anything about the pick ups brand

Could the Squier be better than a $100 expensive Fender?
the tuners on the squier are garbage... so for the money you would spend on them, get the fender...
If you're willing to do a little adjusting then go with the squire. It has an entirely different pick up configuration. Just what i would do in the situation.

You can easily find the pickups for the Fender one on their website i would think.

Edit: You can easily replace the tuners for much less than $100. Like i said, with a little adjusting the squire could be good.
Last edited by coolestloser at Nov 8, 2007,
Trust UG, get the Fender.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Fender! It's better wood. And pups. And tuners.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Get the Fender.... unless of course you plan on smashing this guitar at your next gig... then get the squire!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Fender! I have one! It's Great! Fender!
POOP
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/rvd316/Screenshot_37.jpg[/img]
POOP
Any MIM Fender is worth the money. The Squier on the other hand is not.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
A "Top of the Line" Squier is no different than the low end Squiers [except maybe like the Target editions], the difference is that the more expensive ones have a "unique" pickup setup or something "special," but the build and hardware quality is probably going to be about the same.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Quote by AussieVesti
Any MIM Fender is worth the money. The Squier on the other hand is not.

I disagree a little.

This would be my fixed version.
Quote by AussieVesti
Most MIM Fenders that you tried to make sure it was okay first, is worth the money. The Squier on the other hand is probably not based upon the materials used.

FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
The MIM Fender is made of Alder with a 1 Piece maple neck.

I love my MIM Tele.

Definately go for the Fender.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
fender!!
*ESP Viper 400 (Olympic White)
*Marshall AVT275
*Boss GT-8
*Burns Red Special Replica (original colours)
*Marshall MG10CD
*Vox 10watt preamp (for creating Brian May replica sounds)
*Fender Squire Strat (red w/ white scratch plate) - My 1st
actually it depends on what pickup config you want, they are very different. if you want the traditional tele pickup config go for the fender, if you want 3 pickups get the squier.

also in response to the minor brand-snobbery i've seen in this thread: the squier he posted is to a higher end model. the rule that could apply here would be the same as the gibson/epiphone rule, although it really depends on the quality control which squier are completely lacking in. the tuners are fine on the lower end squiers - just badly adjusted. the electronics/pickups could do with being replaced, although i'd imagine they are a lot better on the more expensive squiers, but honestly, most of the time, its just a poor setup which can be easily sorted for next to nothing. i will say though, that the same can apply to the cheaper fenders.

in conclusion: avoid both unless you can try a few before you buy them, but if you have no other option than to order them off the internet it'd be a safer bet to get the fender. imo 3 pickups won't make a lot of difference to the versatility - a telecaster is immensely versatile as it is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Get the Fender. Its an all round better guitar.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
I would always choose a low end Fender over a 'high-end' Squire...always...
Fender
Fender
Fender
and did I mention Fender?

Seriously get the Fender, you'll feel so much better about it down the road. The Squier isn't worth it in the long run.
Quote by fergus74
I would always choose a low end Fender over a 'high-end' Squire...always...

any reason, or are you just a brand snob? theres every chance that the vintage modified squier could be better than the standard fender. they are equal, quality wise, if you get a good one of both. but the squier has less strict quality control so there's more chance of getting a shoddy guitar.

also TS, forgot to mention: Duncan designed pickups are not seymour duncans. they are replicas.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.