Which amp should i get, i am a beginning guitarist interested in playing blues/classic rock
Do you already have an amp, or is this your first?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i might add, i am buying used, and the valve junior might be 20 or 30 dollars cheaper
Well, if you don't need a lot of clean headroom, and you'll be playing nothing heavier than classic rock, VJ. If the opposite is true, get the Vox, as it's much more versatile, but of course doesn't sound as good.

And let me just say, VJ cranked=sex (this is true of most tube amps of course).
go valve jnr, the vox AD is a hybrid,a nd you'll be able to mod around withthe valve jnr
The Valve Jr. does classic and blues really well... but thats about all you can get out of it without pedals. And.. for bedroom practice you'll have to crank it to overdrive it and it gets pretty loud...

I'd say the Vox is better for practice but the VJ sounds better
1. doesnt the vox have tubes
2. how hard is it to crank the vj?
3. i only want to play thinks like the beatles, eric clapton, bb king, maybe some led zeppelin, so what would be best.
Well, the Epiphone Valve Junior is a very simple but powerful amp and maybe with a better general sound.
but with the VOX you get a lot of "extras" (Amps model and Effects).
If you are a beginner, maybe the AD15VT could help you find your own sound, once you found it, you could get a tube amp that fits your personal taste.
Just my opinion.
vox has ONE tube basically to emulate the tube sound but from what i heard, its a good imitation, but its no cigar
Quote by nikeshp
3. i only want to play thinks like the beatles, eric clapton, bb king, maybe some led zeppelin, so what would be best.

1. It has 1 tube, just in the pre amp.
2. You turn a knob lol.
3. It would be great for that.
The Vox is a hybrid amp... Its like a half and half deal

The Epi is all tube. Its pretty loud when you crank it. Not deafening though. Depending on how hot your pu's are... It will start to distort with the volume about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up.

EDIT: If you ONLY want to play stuff like that the VJ will be awesome.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
The Valve Jr is probably closer to a Vox DA 20 then it is the AD series. The DA is great for blues/classic rock. Run them side by side and see what you think.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by nikeshp

1. The VOX ADxxVT's Valvetronix are Hybrid Amps. They use one 12AX7 tube in the PowerAmp section, not in the PreAmp section like others amps.

2. I don't know, but I guess yes

3. It's up to you. You want effects like Delay, Reverb, Tremolo? If you get the Epi you'll have to buy some pedals, if you get the VOX not. Are the external pedals better than the VOX AD15VT built in effects in most cases Yes, Do you want to spend the extra money?
Last edited by _salas_ at Nov 9, 2007,
I have no idea what those effects do, therefore i dont know if i need them. I just want to get the best blues sound possible, i have a boss ds-1 distortion pedal already.
Quote by scott58
The Valve Jr is probably closer to a Vox DA 20 then it is the AD series. The DA is great for blues/classic rock. Run them side by side and see what you think.

What???

That post made no sense at all.
Quote by nikeshp
I have no idea what those effects do, therefore i dont know if i need them. I just want to get the best blues sound possible, i have a boss ds-1 distortion pedal already.

Then don't bother looking at anything else, the Valve Jr will work almost perfect for you.
well once again, how much should i pay for a valve junior on ebay, including shipping? I am thinking around 70 or 80, even though i know they go up to 150 new. am i being too cheap?
Quote by FRDesign
What???

That post made no sense at all.

Go play them side by side. Tone wise I think the DA is closer for blues /classic rock then the AD. When I bought this last amp I was 90% sure I was getting the AD30VT and seriously looked at Roland Cube 30 and plugged in to the Valve Jr and a pignose 20. Had I been more interested in metal I'd have gotten the roland for sure (may still get one). But I wanted something for blues/classic rock and after plugging in to the DA 20. I liked it better then the others. Great tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Checker
The Valve Jr. does classic and blues really well... but thats about all you can get out of it without pedals. And.. for bedroom practice you'll have to crank it to overdrive it and it gets pretty loud...

I'd say the Vox is better for practice but the VJ sounds better

Disagree. I play a little bit of all types of music* with this setup:

Guitar -> Epi VJ.

*Not including modern metal, but 80's metal and earlier, yes.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Get the Valve Junior Combo, especially if it seems like you're not getting any heavier than Classic Rock.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by CORT noob
Disagree. I play a little bit of all types of music* with this setup:

Guitar -> Epi VJ.

*Not including modern metal, but 80's metal and earlier, yes.

Well, I disagree too. I didn't mean it could ONLY do those genres but... it does do those best

Using the JB in my bridge with the VJ's Volume nearly all the way up I can get enough distortion for stuff like Maiden... But you can't get a really heavy sound. Just saying it's not a Hi-Gain amp. It can get a great overdrive... but no real heavy distortion.

It's not necessarily a one trick pony... but it only knows a few.

VJ = Tone
AD = Versatility

TS: I suggest the VJ. For the type of music you want to play it will do its job great. I got mine new for $130... so used shouldn't be too much more than $100

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Nov 9, 2007,