hey guys

i was wondering, does pluging in another cabnet actually make the amp louder or does it just disperse it differently or somthing? whats the kish?
of course it does.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
No it doesn't, it spreads the sound out better so it reaches more people but it doesn't really make it any "louder", the sound's just coming from more places.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by muso_ chris
of course it does.

Listen to the seagull, he may be fishy but he knows what it's all about.
It sounds 'fuller' i guess. To me a head and 412 cab will sound louder or fuller than a head and a 112 or 212 cab.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Basically yes it does.

More cabinets = More Speakers = Pushes more air = Appears louder

EDIT:

my example is when your cooking on a stove. You turn on the heat by turning on the gas, but fire burns basically at the same temperature so what you're really doing, is turning on the gas = making more fire = making it hotter
^You're not making it hotter though, you are simply dispersing the heat more evenly.

Same with an extra cab. Is it louder? No. Does it seem louder? Yes, because it is dispersed more evenly.
If you have 2 1x12s on either side of you in stereo, then it will sound bigger because the sound is coming from different directions. It will not make it actually louder! It's mostly the amp head itself that produces the level of volume that the cabinets take and push out.
Quote by eXperiment63
^You're not making it hotter though, you are simply dispersing the heat more evenly.

Same with an extra cab. Is it louder? No. Does it seem louder? Yes, because it is dispersed more evenly.

I know, you are right, but the short answer is yes, because it APPEARS louder. thats all I'm getting at.
The more drivers you have, the more air gets pushed, the more air that gets pushed results in a perceived rise in db's.

I have a sound meter from Radio Shack and build DIY speakers. When I test speakers, the db's go up slightly (not much) with two versus one but the perceived pressure level is a little higher and the presence is dramatically improved . Add in more treble and this exaggerates the situation.

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Nov 9, 2007,
it's about efficiency. The more speaker surface area, the more air it can push, resulting in greater SPL. Even though the power is dispersed between the speakers you add, it's the efficiency of power to actually move air that increases. Speakers are very inefficient by their design, usually less than 10% of the power in actually gets converted into sound pressure, the rest is transferred to heat. By adding speaker surface area, you are increasing the ability of the amp to move air at the same power level. Doubling the speaker surface area, assuming speaker efficiency is the same, results in about a 2dB to 3dB increase in SPL at the same power level. After 4 speakers however, you start getting into the law of diminishing returns because of phase cancellation.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If you had one 4x12, your sound would be focused in one direction; Straight out. If you have two, you can set them side by side, or one of each side of the drums and angle them. This makes your sound disperse over the whole crowd, not just who is in front of your cab. Even though most PA systems mic cabs, you're still going to be louder on the side your on because if you're on the left, you have the PA left and the cab as compared to just the PA right. If you have two cabs, your sound can come from them more instead of relying on the PA for dispersion.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by henza_x
I know, you are right, but the short answer is yes, because it APPEARS louder. thats all I'm getting at.

thats what i meant.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
i dont see the point in full stacks...half stack tube amp is enough to cause hearing damage and beyond...and any bigger than a small gig your amp will probably be miced up to the pa by 1 speaker...so pretty pointless tbh...just an extra cab to loaf around
i noticed if my blues junior is run at high volumes i start to get some speaker distoriton. If i throw a 1x12 cab under it, will it give the speaker more room to breathe?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
The cure for that is "umph" (higher power). If it is high pressure levels you want, check into a higher output head for a cab.

Doing what you describe is akin to someone turning the volume up on a car radio past what the system can handle and you get that ugly noise. This will result in blown drivers. Speaking of which, how can someone think their radio sounds good like that??

And V12 (above) has a good point too.

Chris
Blues junior is 15W, so what if i get a cab rated around 45W?
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon
Blues junior is 15W, so what if i get a cab rated around 45W?

It might still get some breakup, I don't know how many watts the speaker in the BJ is thought, so I can't give you a for sure answer. Now if you got a speaker rated around 100 watts then you wouldn't get nearly as much, if any.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
i want to say it's a 15W speaker, so if i swap that out as well as adding a 12 inch speaker cab, will it reduce it to less audible levels
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Erock503
it's about efficiency. The more speaker surface area, the more air it can push, resulting in greater SPL. Even though the power is dispersed between the speakers you add, it's the efficiency of power to actually move air that increases. Speakers are very inefficient by their design, usually less than 10% of the power in actually gets converted into sound pressure, the rest is transferred to heat. By adding speaker surface area, you are increasing the ability of the amp to move air at the same power level. Doubling the speaker surface area, assuming speaker efficiency is the same, results in about a 2dB to 3dB increase in SPL at the same power level. After 4 speakers however, you start getting into the law of diminishing returns because of phase cancellation.

.....carry the 2...

Yeah what erock said.
Quote by Johnonon
i want to say it's a 15W speaker, so if i swap that out as well as adding a 12 inch speaker cab, will it reduce it to less audible levels

I'm 99% sure its not a 15 watt speaker. Im guessing its closer to 30-50 watts. Swapping out the speaker and adding a cab won't make it less audible, if anything it will make it sound louder.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
by less audible, im referring to the speaker distortion. A little extra volume would be nice too

I also meant to say a 30W speaker, but i stated the wattage of the amp. My bad
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Yeah they're won't be as much speaker distortion, better speakers will always make the amp sound better too.
Quote by R_H_C_P

My Surf-o-Strat Project
I was considering swapping out the stock speaker as previously stated. I head it also makes it a little less trebley
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild