I'm looking to replace my Epi LP pickups with seymours.
but i have no idea where to start.
i love the nice fat juicy tones with a fair bit of gain, and hate the muddy distortion, which stock pickups in Epi's do produce a little bit.
i love this guitar to death and wnat to make it as good as possible.
I've had the SH-4 suggested as a replacement.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=300035/rpp=10/

and ive heard the custom SH-5 is quite a nice pickup.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SH5-Duncan-Custom-Pickup?sku=300040

i don't know where to start, can you please help. i play stuff like, punk, screamo, rock
but also love te nice clean tones.

cheers.
^ +1

I would recommend a Custom (SH-5) in the bridge and a '59 (SH-1) in the neck, if your amp was good. Otherwise, there is no point changing your pickups.
Quote by steven seagull
What amp you got?

He has a DSL 401, don't you ever check profiles

TS, you're in Australia, I'm not sure SDs are value efficient over there...?
Quote by Don_Humpador
He has a DSL 401, don't you ever check profiles

TS, you're in Australia, I'm not sure SDs are value efficient over there...?

Evidently not

I was thinking the Custom too, pretty much ticks all the boxes, likewise the 59 for the neck. In all honesty I don't think ANY guitar gear is particularly good value in Australia, they seem to get equally ripped off on everything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ Except Ashton stuff. And Matons, I guess. But those are all made over there anyways, so yeah...you'd expect it.
haha, i got a dsl401, yeah.
i dont really use the neck pickup much, only for mellow clean stuff, and the stock neck pickup is decent for what i play on it.
yeah, in australia, the stuff is expensive. but thats the price you pay i spose.
thanks for the replies guys.
i appreciate it.
im a n00b on here, so i dont know anyone.
names?
my names Troy.
im 15.
been playing for 4 or so years.
its what i wanna do forever.
so im trying to learn as much as possible about guitars, pickups etc.
i think the SH-4 is around 150 down here
im not too sure though.
thanks for your help guys.

also..
is there any other brands i should look out for?

gibson burstbuckers?
dimarzio?
im not going anywhere near EMG's.
but, any other suggestions?

cheers.
Last edited by b00m_ at Nov 9, 2007,
I recommend the SH-4 for the treble pickup (only made for treble pickup slot). I'm also saving up for the SH-4, it sounds great, not muddy, can scream if you want it to, and its made by Seymour Duncan! Even better, if you get the Hot-rodded humbucker pickup set, which comes with the SH-2n and the SH-4, a perfect combination from Seymour Duncan, put in one cheap package!
There are better pickups than the JB. The Custom (SH-5) is just one of those pickups.
Quote by Denthúl
There are better pickups than the JB. The Custom (SH-5) is just one of those pickups.

for what kind of music?
rock?
heavy rock?
metal?
or a range of music from rock to metal?
cheers.
The Custom can do rock and metal easily, but it can also do other styles too. It's versatile. It won't exactly do jazz, but hey, are you going to be playing jazz?
Quote by Denthúl
The Custom can do rock and metal easily, but it can also do other styles too. It's versatile. It won't exactly do jazz, but hey, are you going to be playing jazz?

haha. nope, no jazz for me. maybe when im 60, but not just yet. i think i might go with the SH-6. im gonna start lookign around. i know that seymour duncans are fantastic pickups so im sure i cant go wrong, ive played les pauls with duncans in them and they sound great.
how much do you think would cost to get the shop to install the one pickup in the bridge.?
SH-6? Which one's that again?

And not too much, but if you're handy with a soldering iron you can do it yourself
Quote by Denthúl
SH-6? Which one's that again?

And not too much, but if you're handy with a soldering iron you can do it yourself

ah, custom***
my bad.
and i dont trust myself with the whole wiring thing.
i can get my mate to do it, hes a pro with electronics etc.
but is it hard to wire a pickup properly?
Not particularly. As long as you follow the instructions and make sure you use a decent soldering technique, you'll be fine. I replaced the bridge pickup on my first guitar in one try. Complete with a coil split, too.
Quote by Denthúl
Not particularly. As long as you follow the instructions and make sure you use a decent soldering technique, you'll be fine. I replaced the bridge pickup on my first guitar in one try. Complete with a coil split, too.

ahh, very nice.
i think ill get the shop to do it, i know that the local shop owner is very good with a soldering iron. but if its over twenty or thirty bucks, ill get my mate to do it.
is a coil split when you split the humbucker so its a single coil? and you can swap between humbucker and single coil?
That it is. And I don't think it would cost $30, but I'm not someone you should listen to about that - I'm in the UK and I've never had anyone else do any work on my guitars.
Quote by Denthúl
That it is. And I don't think it would cost $30, but I'm not someone you should listen to about that - I'm in the UK and I've never had anyone else do any work on my guitars.

oh okay.
yeah
i believe that like, 80 pound is around $30 or something. one day im going to learn to do all of the work on my guitar. maybe i could get videos or something on changing pickups. there is wiring diagrams right? I don't realy trust myself that much to work on somehting i love so much, as i am only 15.
^ Nope. At the moment, £1 is equal to roughly $2.

And I can understand that. It's always better to practice on something cheap than on the guitar that you really, really like.
Quote by Denthúl
^ Nope. At the moment, £1 is equal to roughly $2.

And I can understand that. It's always better to practice on something cheap than on the guitar that you really, really like.

might see if i can get a cheap guitar with a humbucker so i can have a look at all the wires and stuff. i have a cheap guitar with single coil. might have a look at that later.
and i was close, i was about 50 cents off.
i might be wrong, but i seem to remember a while back an australian on here saying swinesheads were a bit cheaper than duncans- if so, go with that. probably a bridge warthog, and condor or runaway in the neck.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?