Hi, I bought a strat a few months ago, and at first i was ecstatic with the fell of the neck and how it played. But now the radius annoys the hell out of me. So to cut a long story short I'm gonna order a warmoth replacement and im having trouble between choosing an all ebony/all rosewood or just a maple with pau ferro as fretboard, now i know that they're drastically different but i haven't had the chance to play any of the kind as they aren't all that common especially in Australia, i mean considering how bad they scale up the prices they could at least provide a better range but anyway thats off topic.

The main reason i am interested in the whole one wood throughout is that I've basically only once liked the feel of a fender with rosewood fretboard and that was a custom shop tele.
But when i read about pau ferro and maple combo on the suhr site the description was the sound i was looking for "Maple / Pau Ferro – Quarter sawn Pau Ferro has the good properties of Ebony but seems to be more reliable and stable. Pau Ferro is a tight grained hardwood with excellent clarity on the "chunk" tones when using gain, especially when teamed up with an alder body. In overdrive mode it has a fatter low end and more pronounced sparkle when compared to Maple. It adds excellent definition to the notes, especially when using overdriven tones. This combination is strong in the lower mids and bass with some scooped mids." which is why i was going to order a suhr neck but they don't make them in strat specifications.

However the prob with pau ferro is i play a fair amount of blues, so the scooped mids doesn't seem too appealing for that but the rest of the time its pretty much rock so the chunk does sound appealing lol.

I know the neck doesn't make as much difference as other things but since I'm ordering one might as well have everything im looking for.

And my strat has an alder body if you're wondering.

Um music styles like i said blues, rock and older metal.

Also if i get their double truss rod it's safe to get a satin finish yes?
Last edited by MusicManFan at Nov 9, 2007,
on a guess i would probably say maple with pau ferro as fretboard, which Stevie ray Vaughan used so i guess would give out a thick tone
Did he really? Wow i thought i read somewhere that it was Brazilian rosewood, hrmm then it might b perfect.
Still any thoughts would b appreciated
i wouldn't worry about the wood of the neck to much since you probably wont notice any difference in tone or anything. So in my opinion choose which ever one you like the look of
The SRV signature strat uses Brazillian Rosewood, the original number one had a pau ferro fingerboard.

And I agree with striker, maple neck for that style of music.
Quote by Mad Stratter
The SRV signature strat uses Brazillian Rosewood, the original number one had a pau ferro fingerboard.

And I agree with striker, maple neck for that style of music.

Yeah, Number One was rosewood. But Lenny was maple.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yeah, Number One was rosewood. But Lenny was maple.

the neck was maple and the fingerboard was rosewood and im pretty sure the SRV signature uses ferro fingerboard as well. you can see the colour is lighter
Last edited by striker327 at Nov 10, 2007,