HI, I just got my handson a new podx3 and im struggleing to get a good recording tone with it. Now im not daft i can get a tone i like when i run it through my amp no problem, but when it comes to recording riffs on my laptop theres always a faint high frequency hiss in the background. Im recording a lot of metal riffs so im looking for a good high gain sound just minus the blooming hiss. Ive tryed lowering the treble and presence but i just end up with a crap sound and the darn hiss prevails lol. Any help is much appreciated
Make sure your mode select switch is set to studio.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
is the hiss there even when you turn the volume down on the knob of your guitar? if so, it may be because there is some bad grounding in your setup. While unrelated to grounding, I've also found laptops to be notorious for noisyness..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
The hiss can be caused by a few things. Maybe, you're using too much gain? The Pod amp models, for the most part, have way too much gain on tap. Are you using a stomp box along with the amp model?

I've got a PodXT that I use for recording a lot. It will sound different being plugged into an amp and different going direct to your computer. The Pod's take a bit of tweaking to get nice recording tones. There's so many elements with the Pods - Amp model, cab model, EQ, compression, parametric EQ's, mics, mic position, etc. I couldn't check out the file you posted, so I can't give you pointers on what to try different. Could you upload the clip to sounclick or a site like that?
No it only rears its head when im actully playing so i think its the actual guitar tone. Im pretty sure im not overloading the input because the clip light hasnt lit up im just finding it really hard to dial in a good high gain tone but at the same time keeping some clarity.

These are my setting for anyone familiar with the pod:

AMP: 2002 criminal (5150 model) bass-7 mid-4 treb-6 presence-6 drive-9 vol-8

CAB: 68 Green 25's 4x12 MIC: Shure 57 on axis

STOMP: classic distortion drive-4 gain-6 tone-3

And of course a noise gate. I usually have the master volume on just over half
I don't have the PodX3, but exactly what kinda sound are you looking to get? I'll see if I can dial something in with my PodXT and record a quick clip. See if I can help you out in some way.

Try turning the Stomp off. Still get the hiss?
ah.. dstortion into distortion will always cause nasty noise and grit.

try to change up your stomp box to a light overdrive. like the screamer.

in my experience, distortion pedals are better used on amps with low gain whether modeled or real..
Quote by Guitarmiester
I don't have the PodX3, but exactly what kinda sound are you looking to get? I'll see if I can dial something in with my PodXT and record a quick clip. See if I can help you out in some way.

Try turning the Stomp off. Still get the hiss?

Im looking for a good modern metal sound, similar to some of these bands would be a good starting point
www.myspace.com/blackdahliamurder
www.myspace.com/theabsence
www.myspace.com/asilaydying

Search the newer material from those bands and thats the kind of sound im going for. As for turning the stomp box off its does seem to work a bit but its still noticable especially when tracking 2 or more guitars.
just finally checked out your riff. the tone doesn't sound bad and there isn't a whole lot of noticealbe studio hiss.. nothing that won't be drowned out by cymbals and vocals when you go to record a full band.

the sorta airyness could be the amount of "room" % you have mixed in the cab modelling section. using a different mic will change the voice of it as well.
just finally checked out your riff. the tone doesn't sound bad and there isn't a whole lot of noticealbe studio hiss.. nothing that won't be drowned out by cymbals and vocals when you go to record a full band.
QUOTE]

Fair enough I'll try it out with drums and what not. I've managed to get rid of a fair bit of the hiss while keeping a good tone so fingers crossed . May post up some recordings at some point so u can see how it sounds. cheers
to be honest by listening to your musicfile, i discovered no hiss.. ok maybe
a little bit but you have to listen very good, the hiss you are prefering too
is called fizz.. fizz is a byproduct of distortion! i've read a lot on forums about
that, when i found this forum accidentally and saw your question i registered
because i think i have a solution for you..

when i was playing today with the podx3 and succesfully transfered a tone
from the podxt to the x3 it sounded very well! but the x3 sound's more fuller
and clearer.. so i decided to make a dual tone from my preset, panned the sound's
hard left and right, it was a experiment (first time) to see how it sound's like a
dual sound.. it sounded awesome but in an instant i remembered that i stored
settings a couple of weeks ago with m-word! it was a person on a forum who
has specific settings to get rid of fizzines, i tried them on my own personal
preset and was stunned with the result.. maybe this can help you or not, but
for me it is killer, i post the setting here, this is what he said:

to notch out the fizz, engage the onboard EQ on patch #2, then set the put a -7.2 db notch @ 5.7K using the third dial (the "HM" band), leaving the others completely alone.

further info: simple go to your preset, engage the eq.. take the thirth dial (above)
after that use the other dial (down) that's it
hope this helps also other users