hey i am new to guitar and i really want to learn. I just dont know what to do. Can someone tell me the basics to learn? like what are the first things i should learn, eg. chords, tabs,what songs, etc. I just have no idea where to start.

Should i learn chords? Or should i just learn to play the tabliture with the fret numbers on it?

I need help!
Its necessary to learn the chords but i got used to lead stuff at first.

try alot of white stripes stuff at first, because they are just the ultimate beginner band.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
start with getting a book or cd that will show you the basic chords try to find something that will give you some easy songs that comprise those chords so you can get used to changing fluidly between chords then you will want to learn the notes of the fret board once you have that it will make using tablature a lot easier.
Do not get discouraged if it does not all work the first time you try it takes a lot of practice to get good at.
Most tab sites will give you an option of Tab or Chord. For the easier songs try printing off both so you can see how the tab relates to the chord.
Enjoy....
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Start with the basics and then when you are used to them start looking at Flats and Minors and so on
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
any good songs for a brand new guitarist??? and what are some finger exercizes?? i hear about them but dont know what they are.
^--Theres been heaps of threads on beginner songs and finger exercises. Search the forums and the lessons here on UG. If you cant find what youre looking for, post back.
from experience, just try playing a tab of a song you really enjoy. beginning with guitar takes time and gets frustrating at points but if your doing something you really like, you'll probably stick to it than if your just learning chords and scales and stuff...once your familiar with the fret board and comfortable, then i'd start going to scales, chords, and solo's all that stuff..
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Dude, if your totally new, then you'd be better off with a teacher. Once your done with the basics you can survive on your own.
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Oh yeah, this site's great too. Check out the lessons, UG tv and the forums. They'll help you a lot.
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Quote by fiegs
any good songs for a brand new guitarist??? and what are some finger exercizes?? i hear about them but dont know what they are.

Learn all the open chords first. D, A, G is used in TONS of songs. Make sure your guitar is in tune before each practice.

Online coarses work very well if you can't afford a teacher. Search Youtube for beginner guitar lessons too.

GO FOR IT! It's a blast!
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
One of my guitar books has over 100 chords on the back pages. Should I learn and practice all these?
Quote by DennisR
One of my guitar books has over 100 chords on the back pages. Should I learn and practice all these?

For now learn:

D, A, G, E, F, then work on new ones one at a time.

IMHO of coarse!
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
Quote by DennisR

Just learn the basic major chords at the start to get your fingers used to the guitar and help develop some finger strength. Chords might just seem like random patterns at first, but chord construction actually follows very clearly defined rules...basically if you know how your notes and know how chords are constructed then you can work out how to play pretty much any chord rather than having to memorise them.

However that can come a little later, for the time being just start with the basic major chords, E, A and D for starters. A good thing to do is pick up what's called a buskers "fake" book, they're usually full of popular songs that have been reduced down to basic chords. They're a great way of learning chords, training your ears and building dexterity and strength in both hands.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
here's a tip i didn't see.

Be patient, don't expect to be able to find a tab for an easy song and expect to play the whole thing, once you get down some basic chords and learn some easy songs you might want to look at some scales, start with major scales because there easy. And once you start to get good and learn some techniques and learn scales start looking at music theory, it makes everything so much easier to understand.

But the best thing to do really is to get a guitar teacher, just go to your local guitar store and set up some lessons if you want to get them, which i highly reccomend.
Get a book with CD's coz the CD's have the author playing the excercises with a backing drum tracks. The CD's help your timing etc!