I could really use some help understanding why all of you UGers love The Beatles. Let me start this off my stating that The Beatles used to be my favorite band in the fourth grade. I own every studio album they’ve commercially released and I’ve listened to them all about a million times. The three great Beatles albums are: Meet The Beatles, Please Please Me, and Rubber Soul. Everything else is terrible. It’s not to say that they’re a terrible band, but comparing their albums to other bands and other albums of the same era is gross. Revolver? SUCKED. Abbey Road? SUCKED. Sgt. Peppers? SUCKED. I could go on, but I won’t, since my review for every album is exactly the same.

People usually tell me I have no ‘musical credibility’ when I inform that The Beatles are sub par. This is completely untrue, as I am well versed in every genre of music, excluding opera and polka. Any replies in the vein of challenging my tastes will be responded to by me, but it won’t be a good use of my time. Same goes for flaming, I’m just curious why they’re worshiped to such a large extent here. What about them makes you listen to them over other 60’s rock ‘n’ rock/psych bands? Why do people claim that Lennon/McCartney are such great songwriters?
I say we will have a real cool time, tonight.
Because they experimented with new sounds, kept their songs (usually) short, sweet, and catchy, and are just fun to listen to, if you ask me.
Because they tackled themes like 'love', something everyone everywhere can identify with.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles Album....

Most people seem to have the opposite opinion, liking the ones you hate more than the others. I pretty much like all of their records. For me it's an excellent combination of great vocal talents, and just solid song writing that never really hit a weak spot in my opinion. John and Paul were masters of crafting a pop gem, and I feel that a lot of their more "psychedelic" stuff still sounds better than other groups at the time, like Strawberry Alarm Clock or something.
catchiness i suppose is a big thing...

I love the psychadelic 'wtf?' songs like I am the Walrus and LSD
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
because they pioneered a bunch of new production techniques to create totally new sounds without sacrificing the song in the process. and no one does melodies like lennon and mccartney. no one.
My Gear:
Ibanez SA36FM
Peavy Predator

Vox Ad50VT

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i agree, the beatles are not impressive. they're music is mediocre, it's not experimental, it's overly simple. and i'm pretty sure they're not the first band to write a "love" song. personally, i'd take the stones or cream or jimi hendrix over them any day, by far. they are a good "pop" band, but a crappy rock band.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
dude your 3 top beatles albums are all of their poppy easy listening material. revolver and abbey road and sgt. pepper are all more challenging to listen to and those are the albums that really left their mark as an influential, experimental band. you don't appreciate their best stuff. that's why you don't think they're good.
They were extremely revolutionary and all the classic artists you like have been influenced by them, plain and simple.

I'm not a big fan by any means but I do understand and respect what they did for music.
Quote by jhjps
i agree, the beatles are not impressive. they're music is mediocre, it's not experimental, it's overly simple. and i'm pretty sure they're not the first band to write a "love" song. personally, i'd take the stones or cream or jimi hendrix over them any day, by far. they are a good "pop" band, but a crappy rock band.

How old are you? My guess is 14-17.
I would go as far to say that they were the tightest band (musically) of all time. No one could blend and mesh together as well at The Beatles could. John and George weren't Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai, Paul wasn't Victor Wooten, Ringo wasn't Ginger Baker and none of them were Freddie Mercury and that worked really well for their sound. Even on their worst songs, the blend is amazing.
considering they started off as a pop band look at the music they went on to create. They were talented song writers n musicians, i read somewhere that penny lane has like 8 modulations in its intro or something crazy like that, but theyre done so well you can hardly hear them so most of the time they go unoticed. Also they wrote some of the greatest song ever and have a gigantic catalougue of songs. Finally they were around for less than a decade (in the public eye anyway) and left such a mark on the music industry that the effects of what they done can still be seen in music today (oasis anyone)

thats why i like them anyway, its all opinion at the end of the day
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
are you like a 60 year old woman?

fuckin fool.. you are obviously an old squre or a young retard.

all i can say is wait for death or puberty.
was that aimed at me
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
Quote by markdirt

People usually tell me I have no ‘musical credibility’ when I inform that The Beatles are sub par. This is completely untrue, as I am well versed in every genre of music, excluding opera and polka.

I’m just curious why they’re worshiped to such a large extent here.

you obviously dont have any credentials in music.. or else you would know that EVERYONE who came after the Beatles took influence from them.

and its not just here in UG.. its THE WORLD.. they changed the world as people knew it in the 60s.

you are just too young and ignorant to understand.

go turn on the radio faggot
Quote by rush4life
Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles Album....

Most people seem to have the opposite opinion, liking the ones you hate more than the others. I pretty much like all of their records. For me it's an excellent combination of great vocal talents, and just solid song writing that never really hit a weak spot in my opinion. John and Paul were masters of crafting a pop gem, and I feel that a lot of their more "psychedelic" stuff still sounds better than other groups at the time, like Strawberry Alarm Clock or something.

They do hve some great pop gems, but I wouldn't say that they're better than any psych bands from that era. Love, Country Joe & The Fish, 13th Floor Elevators, etc. all made much more interesting and satisfying music.

Quote by pocallaghan2002
because they pioneered a bunch of new production techniques to create totally new sounds without sacrificing the song in the process. and no one does melodies like lennon and mccartney. no one.

What techinques did they pioneer? I know that the production on Sgt. Peppers was amazing to cover up McCartney's terrible bass playing, but other than that...

Quote by vantage4
dude your 3 top beatles albums are all of their poppy easy listening material. revolver and abbey road and sgt. pepper are all more challenging to listen to and those are the albums that really left their mark as an influential, experimental band. you don't appreciate their best stuff. that's why you don't think they're good.

They weren't experimental at all, especially compared to what else was happening during the 60s. I love experimental music and noise - I find their albums boring, not challenging.

Quote by OLP1
because they were masters of melody, the most important ingredient when song writing, this is why a composer like Mozart is held to such a high regard, because he had a mastering of melody

I agree with this statement :]

Quote by C_Miller
I would go as far to say that they were the tightest band (musically) of all time. No one could blend and mesh together as well at The Beatles could. John and George weren't Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai, Paul wasn't Victor Wooten, Ringo wasn't Ginger Baker and none of them were Freddie Mercury and that worked really well for their sound. Even on their worst songs, the blend is amazing.

Their blend is strong, but the tighest band of all time? I wouldn't say so; James Brown and Earth, Wind & Fire were the two tighest bands of all time (non-classical/non-jazz).
lol no worries
Quote by markdirt

What techinques did they pioneer? I know that the production on Sgt. Peppers was amazing to cover up McCartney's terrible bass playing, but other than that...

They weren't experimental at all, especially compared to what else was happening during the 60s. I love experimental music and noise - I find their albums boring, not challenging.

ever heard of Flanging? yeah, John Lennon pretty much coined the term.. inventing a widely used guitar effect.

they were the first to use feedback on an album, backwards tracking...

loads.

before you come in here and make a fool of yourself..

DO SOME RESEARCH
Quote by hippie_cune
you obviously dont have any credentials in music.. or else you would know that EVERYONE who came after the Beatles took influence from them.

and its not just here in UG.. its THE WORLD.. they changed the world as people knew it in the 60s.

you are just too young and ignorant to understand.

go turn on the radio faggot

Hahaha, I HATE THE RADIO. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, otherwise you wouldn't be so excited about it.

Check out bands like Q65 and Aeroblus and you'll understand what I'm saying. Educate yourself before flaming me.
Quote by hippie_cune
ever heard of Flanging? yeah, John Lennon pretty much coined the term.. inventing a widely used guitar effect.

they were the first to use feedback on an album, backwards tracking...

loads.

before you come in here and make a fool of yourself..

DO SOME RESEARCH

He didn't invent flanging, much less feedback and backtracking. La Monte Young was doing that much earlier.
and also the equipment they done it on was shoddy even by the standards of those days. Apparently the equipment in studia 2 of abbey road was held together by tape n what not in places but they wouldnt change none of it.
Quote by Guitar_Joe
and also the equipment they done it on was shoddy even by the standards of those days. Apparently the equipment in studia 2 of abbey road was held together by tape n what not in places but they wouldnt change none of it.

Poor equipment is nothing new, what do you think all of the blues masters played on? Torn up guitars with bottleneck slides.
lol did one of the beatles rape you when you were kid or something cos you seem to have something against them
Quote by hippie_cune
the fact that you wont accept their influence is pathetic enough

done

I don't disregard their influence, but I won't accept that their music was original or fresh at the time.

Good job listing some effects The Beatles didn't pioneer and then dropping the issue.
Quote by Guitar_Joe
lol did one of the beatles rape you when you were kid or something cos you seem to have something against them

I was just curious; most of the people here have given me a wider scope on why they like The Beatles.

You and that other guy are just being idiots.
lol thanks

but your reason for not liking them seems to be cos they wasnt doing anything new but get credit for it, or something like that (least thats what it seems like) which isnt really a wide scope either.

at the end of the day it is opinion, the fact that the recording techniques they used had been done before they did it, or that there was more psychadelic band out there then them in there later stages of there career dont really change my opinion of them. I doubt us telling you why we like them is going to change your views either cos you seem to have pretty strong opinions.

Anyway you asked why we liked the beatles and if you look back to my first post you'll see that i answered that question. And after people gave you there answers you kinda went n criticised them by saying stuff like "they wasnt the first to do that" etc.
I was simply responding to their reasonsing for liking The Beatles. The main idea I got was that The Beatles may not have been the best, but they put out some strong pop gems.

/thread.
"What techinques did they pioneer? I know that the production on Sgt. Peppers was amazing to cover up McCartney's terrible bass playing, but other than that..."

lol responding ay. They all told you why THEY liked the beatles which is what you asked, if you had asked them to persuade you to like the beatles by showing you they were new and inventive, then i could see your reasons for "responding" to their answers how you did/are.

What you get from our answers n from their music is up to you. If you think they wrote some great pop songs but did little else then thats fine.

/thread
Last edited by Guitar_Joe at Nov 9, 2007,
*reported*

Three Beatles threads on the front page?
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
If you can double post and get away with it, why not?

I can't help but see the thread starter as doing anything more than just looking for a fight. I'm not overly fond of The Beatles either, but that doesn't mean I go around perpetuating a tired subject of controversy. Topics like this just prove that The Beatles aren't quite aging as well as people would think.
Quote by markdirt

Your ignorance is blinding...
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
I agree with TS, I don't understand what's so good about them. Their songs do not touch me in any way, except for a few tracks and a few albums. When I listen to them I most of the time don't recognize anything special, even though I try to think like someone from the 60's. They are vastly overrated.

Now I'm not saying that they haven't influenced anybody. Sure, they have. Their influence on modern music is huge, but they're still tremendously overrated. The fact is, most people hail them as 'The Best Band Ever' because countless of other music journalists and critics have done the same thing before them, not because they actually think so. Most people don't even reflect on the music before they say "They're the greatest".

In my opinion they were just a ****ty popband in the beginning of their career who wrote catchy tunes with shallow lyrics. Beatles would never have been this critically praised nowadays if it wasn't for the Beatlemania. It's true. Call me ignorant or whatever, but that's the way I see it. This is also solely my opinion and if you want to comment on it, do it constructively and don't start a flame war with me. Thank you.
Quote by Guitar_Joe
lol thanks

but your reason for not liking them seems to be cos they wasnt doing anything new but get credit for it, or something like that (least thats what it seems like) which isnt really a wide scope either.

at the end of the day it is opinion, the fact that the recording techniques they used had been done before they did it, or that there was more psychadelic band out there then them in there later stages of there career dont really change my opinion of them. I doubt us telling you why we like them is going to change your views either cos you seem to have pretty strong opinions.

Anyway you asked why we liked the beatles and if you look back to my first post you'll see that i answered that question. And after people gave you there answers you kinda went n criticised them by saying stuff like "they wasnt the first to do that" etc.

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.